U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2006, 10:01 PM

19 posts, read 77,365 times

Advertisements

Quick question for you guys: Both my wife and I are teachers and we live in Florida. She is from Minnesota, and really wants to live in the midwest again. We are considering KCK for its milder climate (compared to Minneapolis). My question is this: I am hispanic, Christian (Episcopalian) of Arabic descent. My last name is Asad. Here in Florida, I have never felt anybody look at me funny, or treat me any differently, but some friends have suggested that it may not be so in KCK. What do you guys have to say? I am not so concerned about myself, as I am about my daughter (last name also: Asad). Will people treat us with the dignity and respect that we all deserve, or could we be targets of racism?

I ask this question with the utmost respect to the people who live in this area, and I do not mean any disrespect to anyone, but I really need to know before making a desicion as far as moving to the KC area is concerned.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 09:45 PM

20 posts, read 90,198 times
I was in KC for 16 years.. just moved to the East Coast.
I was raised in Kansas City, Kansas, so I'm used to the environment there. I had a tough time when I was first arrived there (back in the early 90s), kids at school picked on me all the time... not sure if that is a normal kids childhood or because I'm a minority. When we walk into a store or restaurant, people look at us like they had never seen Asians before. Most of the time people can't located either Japan or China on the map. This of course was the early 90s...
With the expansion of companies such as Sprint, HR Block, Garmin, and Hallmark, they bringing more diversity into the state, and over time things are changing. But since it has only been 10 years, can't say it had transformed into the diversity that New York City has.
People here (again in KCK) are very friendly, they will wave at you even they don't know you. They smile lot more I say.
Compare with where your are moving from, there will be an adjustment.
This only applies to places near Kansas City Kansas now... if you are moving to places like Hays, Kansas... it might be tougher.
I suggest Overland Park or Olathe. Both of these cities (suburbs of KCK) have a solid eduction systems, friendly people, and good places to raise kids.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:06 PM

3 posts, read 10,836 times
I moved to Kansas City 5 years ago and found that the Northeast area has great neighboors that I now call my freinds. We are very mixed with lawers,doctors and many people that work with the arts. I love being part of the change and rebirth of the area.

Old 11-25-2006, 06:07 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Olathe is a very nice town, as is parts of KC. I dont think youll have any problems because of your ethnicity.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:42 PM

14 posts, read 112,914 times
honestly, you will want to live in an area that has a more diverse and open-minded population. Places like Lawrence, Olathe, KC, Topeka and such would be your better bets. SW corner is FULL of hispanics (mostly illegal Mexicans and Guatemalans) but you wouldn't like the filthy conditions of the towns and the only jobs are in slaughter houses.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:19 AM

19 posts, read 77,365 times
Default Areas we are looking at...

Both my wife and I are teachers, and we are looking at Shawnee Mission School District, Olathe School District and Blue Valley. So far, the best I have heard is about Olathe. Thanks for your responses.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:52 AM

24 posts, read 139,254 times
I think all three school districts are good. My sons attended school in both the Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley districts. Shawnee Mission is an older district, while both Blue Valley and Olathe are newer and growing rapidly. People who live in these districts generally are pretty well educated. These schools are located in Johnson County, Kansas, which is better off financially than much of the Kansas City, Kansas area. KCK/Wyandotte County has some really nice areas, but it also has some very poor and crime-ridden areas... kind of an extreme mix. I think you and your family could be happy in Johnson County, as long as you can be comfortable in a somewhat congested, moderate to upscale, suburban area. Also, in Johnson County, some people will tend to judge you more based on your income rather than your race or ethnicity. Good luck if you decide to make the move.

Old 12-27-2006, 02:14 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,903,614 times
I would tend to agree about avoiding the KCKS area and small towns in general in Ks. I have friends that are Hindu and own a couple of convenience stores ands they live in Shawnee Ks. They have or did own a store in Gardner Ks. Just to the south of Olathe. The have had a hard time with this store. My friend says they do not like Indians in Garner Ks.
Several years ago i went to a very rural area about 25 miles or so north of Wichita. I stopped at a little mom&pop type gas station/store. I aked directions and the guy just looked at me and walked into the back room; so as to ignore me. This just because i was a stranger. I am a white guy! Some areas are just plain rednecks to the utmost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or