Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 09:18 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

Having an adult son with developmental disabilities and trying to find a safe and secure program for him, I came across this horrifying article when researching "Winfield State Hospital", now closed as of 1998. I guess what surprised me the most was that it reality, it wasn't that long ago that some of this went on and I had thought most of that crap ended in the 1800s, not the 1900s.

https://www.uvm.edu/~lkaelber/eugenics/KS/KS.html

I was especially repulsed by the "Fitter Families" being showcased at the fair, I thought this went a little too far. I wish I could have been there. Those not "good looking".......................

I think anyone that supports eugenics is feeble minded. It gives me peace to know those supporting this will burn in Hell forever more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 04:38 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
This was a globally held view even up through WW2 where "breeding" for humans was considered similar to animals.

However, interesting enough to note, I've read similar articles in recent years where basketball star Andrew Wiggins (and many others) were touted for having a father that played NBA and a mother that ran olympic track. Aka "good breeding".

Or Shaq's son that is a blue chip recruit.

So, the views are still held but more in the positive and not as some sort of euthanasia scenario.

However, many people with dire genetic disorders make careful consideration about having off-spring and frankly, rightfully so.

It's a real topic despite it's roots in past evils. For example, the spike in autism is absolutely related to some extent to US moms giving birth at older ages. My wife and I were warned about that 20 years ago, it's a real, medically proven consideration.

Regardless, not sure why you put this in the KS forum without noting it's a global phenomenon, heck goes on today in poorer countries.

Old 04-15-2017, 08:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This was a globally held view even up through WW2 where "breeding" for humans was considered similar to animals.

However, interesting enough to note, I've read similar articles in recent years where basketball star Andrew Wiggins (and many others) were touted for having a father that played NBA and a mother that ran olympic track. Aka "good breeding".

Or Shaq's son that is a blue chip recruit.

So, the views are still held but more in the positive and not as some sort of euthanasia scenario.

However, many people with dire genetic disorders make careful consideration about having off-spring and frankly, rightfully so.

It's a real topic despite it's roots in past evils. For example, the spike in autism is absolutely related to some extent to US moms giving birth at older ages. My wife and I were warned about that 20 years ago, it's a real, medically proven consideration.

Regardless, not sure why you put this in the KS forum without noting it's a global phenomenon, heck goes on today in poorer countries.
In terms of those with the drive to succeed, especially as athletes, it can be nurture too. Children of pro athletes grow up with encouragement to eat well, exercise and the expectation they will strive for excellence. Children of someone who thinks exercise is walking to the frig may not get that sort of mindset. The athletes family will more likely maintain their health and use a decent diet, and value the maintance of health. It need not be genetic.

And maybe a little of it is, since we do inherit the basic genetic offering of out parents. Some may require the will to develope special skills, and still not ever quite meet their goal, or have more potential than they choose to embrase.

But we physically inherit some and culturally inherit other values and we are some mix of the two.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:07 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
In terms of those with the drive to succeed, especially as athletes, it can be nurture too. Children of pro athletes grow up with encouragement to eat well, exercise and the expectation they will strive for excellence. Children of someone who thinks exercise is walking to the frig may not get that sort of mindset. The athletes family will more likely maintain their health and use a decent diet, and value the maintance of health. It need not be genetic.

And maybe a little of it is, since we do inherit the basic genetic offering of out parents. Some may require the will to develope special skills, and still not ever quite meet their goal, or have more potential than they choose to embrase.

But we physically inherit some and culturally inherit other values and we are some mix of the two.
I understand that. The point being that what was once a racially charged concept of "breeding" has now been presented anew when discussing college players.

I mean seriously. This is what got Jimmy the Greek canned, he talked about slave owners breeding strong blacks together or whatnot and he was gone. 30 years later you hear, well "John Smith has a real pedigree, his father played at Oklahoma, his uncle played for the Giants and so forth.

Same concept, just how it's presented I guess which is understandable. One thing to treat someone with respect for their family history and another to view them like a prize pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas