U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:18 PM

10 posts, read 9,569 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I live in MHK and have a neighbor who has parked an older trailer in the yard on the side of their house, that is a little over on our property by about 3 inches. We weren't going to say anything until a few days ago when someone opened the trailer up, raised the roof and started living in it. They're on our property every time they go in or out, they're about 3 feet away from our bedroom wall so the noise and that screen door of the trailer wakes us, etc. And their little toddler shouldn't be in our yard, there's a pretty steep cliff.

I've browsed the MHK ordinances though and can't see anything that would be a violation. Does anyone know what complaint I could even make about this? I don't think it's even criminal trespass. As long as they're not in the front yard they can park.

Any ideas? I wanted to have some info before I contacted the owner. I really don't want to call the police for trespassing if I can help it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 04:34 PM

1,693 posts, read 2,178,223 times
Do you own or rent? If you rent, could you call the landlord and see if anything legally can be done? If you own, maybe notifiy the neighbor that you would like the trailer moved in order to install a privacy fence and then install 20 feet or so on that side. In the conversation with the neighbor, you might work in that the noise of the trailer bothers you and see if they volunteer to relocate it. Maybe the person staying in it is only temporary.

Chapter 20: Sounds like they have to have a permit to live in it:
https://www.municode.com/library/ks/...OOR_CH20MOHOTR

Old 05-14-2017, 07:17 AM

Hey, thanks, that link is exactly what I was looking for! You're a gem!

I do believe they are using it essentially as a guest room during the holidays. My husband and I looked and the little bit of rebar that was marking the property line in the back yard has disappeared, which doesn't bode well. No idea when the rebar moved.

The home is owned by a lady whose son used to live there. I don't see her much but when I do, she seems normal. The rest of the family isn't. Her son has peeked in our windows and videotaped us in our own yard, her husband has set up his sawhorses in our back yard and been very rude when we asked him to not do that, and the current couple living there is rude and won't talk to anyone in the neighborhood. I really don't want to even try to approach them, but I'm willing to try to talk to the owner if I can get some contact information. Working on that now.

Since we are definitely going to get a fence, that's a good idea to start off talking to her about it. I like that, I think we'll do it.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:17 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,050,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyDK View Post
Hey, thanks, that link is exactly what I was looking for! You're a gem!

I do believe they are using it essentially as a guest room during the holidays. My husband and I looked and the little bit of rebar that was marking the property line in the back yard has disappeared, which doesn't bode well. No idea when the rebar moved.

The home is owned by a lady whose son used to live there. I don't see her much but when I do, she seems normal. The rest of the family isn't. Her son has peeked in our windows and videotaped us in our own yard, her husband has set up his sawhorses in our back yard and been very rude when we asked him to not do that, and the current couple living there is rude and won't talk to anyone in the neighborhood. I really don't want to even try to approach them, but I'm willing to try to talk to the owner if I can get some contact information. Working on that now.

Since we are definitely going to get a fence, that's a good idea to start off talking to her about it. I like that, I think we'll do it.
This is a lot different then just parking a trailer part way on your property. Do you own the property? I recommend putting in a fence or asking your landlord to put in a fence. Your neighbors don't seem to care what you think or respect your privacy. I mean one of those wooden fences that are 6-7' tall that allow no view of your property.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:41 PM

21,166 posts, read 16,889,252 times
Wanted to mention that fences often require a permit and there are rules about where they can be placed and how high they can be. Only check with the city to see what the requirements are. "Raised the roof"? Are we talking about a pop-up/folding camper? Most likely not self-contained thus I would watch for them using the outdoors, especially my yard as a toilet. They could have a porti-potti, but............

Old 05-14-2017, 07:25 PM

Yes, we own our house, and they're either renting from the lady who owns it or she's their mom and bought it for them.

Expanded the camper is several feet into our yard. We've already moved cords out of our yard and are mowing in a few minutes which may provoke a confrontation. I'll post a picture too.

Yes, we need a fence desperately, but in the meantime we need them off our lawn ASAP. It's mother's day and graduation so I'm wary about confronting them if they're celebrating.

I also think they're ​parking in the neighbor's driveway (neighbors to the other side of them). That house just sold and I think they're basically squatting in that yard until new people move in.

Last edited by StacyDK; 05-14-2017 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-14-2017, 08:05 PM

Here's a photo. (I couldn't embed so I am just linking.) They're the house on the left, we're the grey house on the right. You can see where the grass is newly mowed on the left about where the property line is, and how far over the camper is.

When we got home this evening we realized they've mowed on our lawn as well, all the way up to our house on that side in the area of the camper, and there are several electrical cords in our yard.

When I took a photo I heard hollering from people over there but couldn't make out what was said. My husband is mowing right now and they apparently ran inside the house proper and hid when they saw him. (Which is typical, the previous guy and his wife did the same thing when we once tried to ask them about trimming trees near the property line.)

I hope the appraiser's office can give us contact info for the owner so I can call her tomorrow. I probably need to start asking on a legal forum about how to approach this.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:29 PM

1,693 posts, read 2,178,223 times
I believe would just call the police and explain the situation. Tell them you don't feel comfortable talking directly to them about it. The police will talk to them and explain that to them and they will tell them they can't leave it there and it has to be moved. Explain to the police that you want to put a privacy fence in and it has to go. I bet they move it because they may have a history with the law already.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 PM

My only problem with mentioning the fence is that we won't have the ability to start it for a few months. I don't want to tell them in May that we're going to put in a fence if we can't even start it until September.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:05 AM

21,166 posts, read 16,889,252 times
I would start by calling the "Codes" office and explaining the issue to them and asking if they can direct you on what you need to do: Code Services | Manhattan, KS - Official Website I don't think anyone should be staying in that popup as it is not self-contained and that would be something that codes would look at.

You can search for the owner of the property here: http://gis.rileycountyks.gov/tax/ by putting in the address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: