Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 02:29 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Well, the states credit outlook has already been upgraded to stable, and they've been talking about finally giving a raise to underpaid state employees. If we can keep Kobach out of the governors office, then I think the state has a fighting chance.
The key will be keeping Kobach out. He is worse than Brownback in some ways.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:11 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Sadly, I don't see that happening. Maybe we can get a prominent moderate Republican to switch to the Democratic Party and then there would be a chance. Or if Kobach loses the primary, which isn't likely to happen. I don't know if there are any popular democrats in Kansas. I'm sure the choices will be crappy.

Old 06-12-2017, 08:43 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,380 times
Quote:
See, I never thought the people would be stupid enough to want to vote for him, but around a year ago I started seeing a couple people voice support for him, and it is only gotten worse since February. He shares a lot of views with our president and VP, so I have no doubt that the diehard Trump supporter's will be voting for Kobach. It also doesn't help that the kids Democrats really haven't found a passable candidate either. The fact that Riley, Shawnee, Finney, and Ellis County have been voting more moderate lately is me some hope, but the far southwest abd southeast Kansas counties are pretty far right outside of Finney, Seward, and Crawford. Both representatives from Garden City have been fighting against Brownback, and Hays wasn't stupid enough to reelect Sue Boldra, an employee of the University whose political career not only put her job at risk, but put the entire community she represented at risk.

I feel like Ellis County would be a lot bluer if most of the college students weren't registered elsewhere, and if a lot of the college students were registered to vote in the first place/vote when they have the opportunity to make a difference. My generation can't even be bothered to shop for local elections because they think the system is rigged and that there's nothing they can do when they put no actual effort into trying to get anything that they don't like changed. I go to school with a lot of alumni from the high school who are mad because the bond issues keep getting shot down by voters, but most of them couldn't be bothered to make the time to go vote in support of it. I definitely will not be voting for Kobach and wouldn't even if I supported his views because my family has had issues with him on a personal level.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:07 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:

Agreed, Kobach is a racist scumbag and lunatic.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:58 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
How tax changes would affect Kansans | The Wichita Eagle I would have to see the Kansas tax tables to do an accurate comparison between Kansas and Ohio. However, I suspect that moving from Ohio to Kansas would result in a significant increase in tax burden for me. Kansas sales tax is also higher, and the auto license fee is much higher (no automobile personal property tax in Ohio). Some Kansas counties also have an intangible property tax.
And, then there are the real property taxes.

Quote:
I didn't think they were bad. I've compared them with other states and we're pretty middle of the road. Our sales tax is where things aren't ok in my book.
I would like to see food not be taxed or taxed at a lower rate than the general sales tax. When we lived close to the MO state line, we had bought gas, groceries, etc. in MO and some even registered RVs, boats, etc. there while living in KS. Yeah, the laws don't make a difference to some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
I've never gotten upset about paying taxes. I get more upset about crummy roads, derelict strip malls, underfunded schools, poor public transit, etc. I do hate to see the state try to enact regressive tax policy by loading up the sales tax and cutting back the business tax. I am pleased with the reversal of Brownback's experiment.
Sadly, I doubt the increase in taxes will go to education and infrastructure at least across the state in general.

Quote:
Cannot agree with that. I was thrilled to hear that Kobach might become governor! I am VERY happy with how he handles his current position. I have also found his office VERY responsive to issues when I have contacted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Agreed, Kobach is a racist scumbag and lunatic.
No, he is not a racist or a lunatic. Why would you say such a disrespectful thing about him? Oh, you don't like it that illegal aliens (not a race) can't vote in our state? I could certainly see how someone that doesn't support the laws of our country would have an issue with Kobach.

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Kobach--427543023.html

http://cjonline.com/news/local/state...-kris-kobach-s

Yes, a Trump supporter and add Kobach for Kansas Governor!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:25 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
And, then there are the real property taxes.

I would like to see food not be taxed or taxed at a lower rate than the general sales tax. When we lived close to the MO state line, we had bought gas, groceries, etc. in MO and some even registered RVs, boats, etc. there while living in KS. Yeah, the laws don't make a difference to some.

Sadly, I doubt the increase in taxes will go to education and infrastructure at least across the state in general.

Cannot agree with that. I was thrilled to hear that Kobach might become governor! I am VERY happy with how he handles his current position. I have also found his office VERY responsive to issues when I have contacted them.

No, he is not a racist or a lunatic. Why would you say such a disrespectful thing about him? Oh, you don't like it that illegal aliens (not a race) can't vote in our state? I could certainly see how someone that doesn't support the laws of our country would have an issue with Kobach.

Kobach: Undocumented immigrants 'draining money out of the state budget'

Corruption, taxation, illegal immigration focus of Kris Kobach

Yes, a Trump supporter and add Kobach for Kansas Governor!

I had never heard of Kobach until reading this thread and wondered what made him so evil. Not that I didn't have a hunch.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:57 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Well, the states credit outlook has already been upgraded to stable, and they've been talking about finally giving a raise to underpaid state employees. If we can keep Kobach out of the governors office, then I think the state has a fighting chance.
No offense but you guys are truly clueless as to a state being in "real trouble".

I'm originally from Illinois and much of the KS is in trouble stuff has been overblown by political hacks.
Sure, Brownback screwed up but it's not the armagedon people here have been crying about.

Here you go, enjoy a little comparative reality.

Illinois Senate Democrats pass major tax hikes unlikely to become law - Chicago Tribune

Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No offense but you guys are truly clueless as to a state being in "real trouble".

I'm originally from Illinois and much of the KS is in trouble stuff has been overblown by political hacks.
Sure, Brownback screwed up but it's not the armagedon people here have been crying about.

Here you go, enjoy a little comparative reality.

Illinois Senate Democrats pass major tax hikes unlikely to become law - Chicago Tribune
The thing is, most of the country knows about the corruption and issues in Illinois because the state has been that way for so long. We all know about the crippling poverty in East St Louis and Little Egypt down on the south end of the state and about the crime in Chicago. It's a bigger deal in Kansas because we were a middle of the road state with good schools, good roads, and a few nutjob politicians who would occasionally embarrass us by fighting the teaching of evolution, even as a concept.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,938 times
During the last two months, Kansas has lost 9,000 jobs. One has to have an income to pay income tax.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 AM

744 posts, read 775,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

!

Give me a break. He has made his career capitalizing on the fears of uneducated white people. I remember receiving offensive anti gay marriage propaganda from him back in 2004. He has tried to disenfranchise elderly POC and has encouraged the rest of the country to do the same. He claimed Obama would stop prosecuting black people when in office. He claimed Mexican americans wanted to conduct ethnic cleansing. He continues to claim widespread voter fraud without any proof. It is not a real issue. People, like you, want it to be so you can justify your prejudice. That is racist.

If he is elected Governor I am forever done with my home state.

Kris Kobach embarrasses Kansans ... again and again and again | The Kansas City Star
Kris Kobach is incompetent in Kansas and a national disgrace, too | The Kansas City Star
Kris Kobach whines after CNN anchor destroys his bogus voter fraud claims – Yael on the Trail
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/m...sion.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas