U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:29 PM

71,514 posts, read 53,574,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
Did the Koch Brothers Buy NPR?

Oh, wait a minute...one of them attended the NY Ballet? I stand corrected. I had no idea they were so liberal.
I never claimed they bought NPR, that's a weird statement by you.

Second, you really don't know what you are talking about.

YOu should educated yourself as to the whole family including support for the Smithsonian evolution exhibit....and funding various NPR programs.

I mean really, not only did you not get your facts straight before posting, you saw my post and doubled down on ignorance instead of doing some simple google searches.

Hopefully you've now learned something but I won't hold my breath.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-22-2017, 11:04 AM

764 posts, read 1,206,284 times
Unemployement low, but state losing jobs - News - The Garden City Telegram - Garden City, KS Kansas lost another 3,000 jobs in a short timeframe.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:33 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,931,035 times
The Koch brothers spend a lot of time on the coasts. They should be like Warren Buffet and bring the coastal elites to the heartland.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:53 PM

25,207 posts, read 43,105,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-plains/kansas.htm

Negative job growth in percentage terms over the last year, only Wyoming ranks worse. The governor is mostly to blame. Even Illinois, with all of its issues at the state level, is growing jobs at a much faster rate than Kansas.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
https://www.bls.gov/regions/mountain-plains/kansas.htm

Negative job growth in percentage terms over the last year, only Wyoming ranks worse. The governor is mostly to blame. Even Illinois, with all of its issues at the state level, is growing jobs at a much faster rate than Kansas.
Where to they rank in overall terms like in unemployment?

Relative to agriculurtural states and adjusted for those percents

I notice that you're no longer on a full-boner to compare them to oil dependent states in their area so just wondering if you're going to keep cherry picking?

Old 07-24-2017, 01:30 AM

Being down in Houston and San Antonio and seeing the number of vacancies in suburban office parks in places like The Galleria is rather reminiscent of the vacant office buildings in JoCo... A lot of 80's and early 90's buildings of a similar type to the ones you find lining I-470. This was more surprising in San Antonio where the layout and makeup of the downtown doesn't really lend itself to corporate office space since the city has a fierce historical society, a rather constricting interstate loop, and them there's the fact that 98% of the buildings over three stories downtown are either hotels, or they're a convention center, the Alamo Dome, or the mall. Houston just likely has a glut of office spacing since suburbs like Katy and The Woodlands are willing to act like Overland Park and throw out as much welfare as they can to keep companies like Exon in the 'burbs.

Most of the Kansas job losses seem to be centered around the northern end of the Wichita metro (companies in Harvey County), KCK (Fairfax), Topeka (Payless), and then Southeast, Kansas, an area that has been hemorrhaging jobs since the second world war. There are some positives like the DFA plant getting ready to open in GC, Wichita landed a decent sized employer as a tenant for Union Station and the Cargill headquarters construction is progressing, and Garmin is expanding in Olathe.

In other random Kansas news, the state will soon be down to the two Sears stores in Wichita and Topeka when the Garden City and Overland Park stores close, and the state is down to four Kmart stores scattered between Topeka, Salina, Wichita, and KCK. The Kansas City metro will be down to one Sears in Independence, MO now that Antioch Center and Metcalf are closing, as well as the KCK, KCMO, and Independence Kmart stores since the one in Leavenworth recently closed and the one on Noland in Independence is closing. Isn't it rather funny that Kmart left JoCo first when JoCo has relatively few Walmart stores compared to other similar sized areas? JoCo does have its fair share of Super Target stores, as well as larger newer built Targets and Targets that had been opened as a "Target Greatland" store that probably put the nail in Kmart's coffin. It also amazes me that the metro has avoided the JCP and Macy's closing lists when both chains have at least one obvious option for closure/relocation in the metro. The last JCP stores to close were Bannister, Blue Ridge, and Leavenworth, and the last Macy's to close was the Metcalf South store when the lease expired as the Jones at Bannister closed a year before it would have become a "Macy's."

If I were Macy's I'd ax the Prairie Village and either the Lee's Summit or IC store, and then the most strategic choice for JCP would be to close the Independence store since the Liberty store and Lee's Summit store are more modern and closer to better demographics. I personally feel like the Oak Park Mall Macy's and Corbin Park JCP don't perform as well as their other JoCo counterparts. We know straight from the horses mouth that Leawood is one of the top 100 best performing stores, even if it is near the bottom of the list with the Denver store.

Last edited by empires228; 07-24-2017 at 01:39 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 04:11 PM

25,207 posts, read 43,105,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Where to they rank in overall terms like in unemployment?

Relative to agriculurtural states and adjusted for those percents

I notice that you're no longer on a full-boner to compare them to oil dependent states in their area so just wondering if you're going to keep cherry picking?
It was stated before that Kansas population is not growing at all, meaning more people are leaving the state in search of employment elsewhere- coinciding with the fact that labor force participation rate as a whole is declining to flat on an ongoing basis.
Most agricultural heavy states are averaging growth of 1-2% on an annualized basis. As was stated previously, agricultural, energy, and manufacturing sectors make up a small percentage of the jobs in KS, <15%, but an out-sized impact to overall state GDP. Elect a new governor that isn't Kobach and things could change.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 PM

4,672 posts, read 3,550,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
Being down in Houston and San Antonio and seeing the number of vacancies in suburban office parks in places like The Galleria is rather reminiscent of the vacant office buildings in JoCo... A lot of 80's and early 90's buildings of a similar type to the ones you find lining I-470. This was more surprising in San Antonio where the layout and makeup of the downtown doesn't really lend itself to corporate office space since the city has a fierce historical society, a rather constricting interstate loop, and them there's the fact that 98% of the buildings over three stories downtown are either hotels, or they're a convention center, the Alamo Dome, or the mall. Houston just likely has a glut of office spacing since suburbs like Katy and The Woodlands are willing to act like Overland Park and throw out as much welfare as they can to keep companies like Exon in the 'burbs.

Most of the Kansas job losses seem to be centered around the northern end of the Wichita metro (companies in Harvey County), KCK (Fairfax), Topeka (Payless), and then Southeast, Kansas, an area that has been hemorrhaging jobs since the second world war. There are some positives like the DFA plant getting ready to open in GC, Wichita landed a decent sized employer as a tenant for Union Station and the Cargill headquarters construction is progressing, and Garmin is expanding in Olathe.

In other random Kansas news, the state will soon be down to the two Sears stores in Wichita and Topeka when the Garden City and Overland Park stores close, and the state is down to four Kmart stores scattered between Topeka, Salina, Wichita, and KCK. The Kansas City metro will be down to one Sears in Independence, MO now that Antioch Center and Metcalf are closing, as well as the KCK, KCMO, and Independence Kmart stores since the one in Leavenworth recently closed and the one on Noland in Independence is closing. Isn't it rather funny that Kmart left JoCo first when JoCo has relatively few Walmart stores compared to other similar sized areas? JoCo does have its fair share of Super Target stores, as well as larger newer built Targets and Targets that had been opened as a "Target Greatland" store that probably put the nail in Kmart's coffin. It also amazes me that the metro has avoided the JCP and Macy's closing lists when both chains have at least one obvious option for closure/relocation in the metro. The last JCP stores to close were Bannister, Blue Ridge, and Leavenworth, and the last Macy's to close was the Metcalf South store when the lease expired as the Jones at Bannister closed a year before it would have become a "Macy's."

If I were Macy's I'd ax the Prairie Village and either the Lee's Summit or IC store, and then the most strategic choice for JCP would be to close the Independence store since the Liberty store and Lee's Summit store are more modern and closer to better demographics. I personally feel like the Oak Park Mall Macy's and Corbin Park JCP don't perform as well as their other JoCo counterparts. We know straight from the horses mouth that Leawood is one of the top 100 best performing stores, even if it is near the bottom of the list with the Denver store.
You really know your stores and developments. If the IMAX wasn't ready to take over for Sears in Manhattan, I bet that store would still be there. I don't understand how Sears is still able to operate in Topeka, I can't imagine it's profitable.

The bankruptcy protection has helped Payless a little bit, their retail store on Wanamaker will remain open, but they axed around 100 jobs at corporate last I heard.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It was stated before that Kansas population is not growing at all, meaning more people are leaving the state in search of employment elsewhere- coinciding with the fact that labor force participation rate as a whole is declining to flat on an ongoing basis.
Most agricultural heavy states are averaging growth of 1-2% on an annualized basis. As was stated previously, agricultural, energy, and manufacturing sectors make up a small percentage of the jobs in KS, <15%, but an out-sized impact to overall state GDP. Elect a new governor that isn't Kobach and things could change.
Way to go dodger....you used to compare them to states that ARE oil dependent when the boom was going on but now that's not the case.....gotta change the metric.

I mean seriously at least be honest about your bias.

I'm not even claiming things are great, I'm merely calling out people that can't keep a consistent narrative other than "Kansas Bad" even if they have to find other measures to do so.

You have a long history of picking whatever current metric makes KS look bad and latching onto it until you can find another metric.

Do you REALLY deny this?

Old 08-06-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
You really know your stores and developments. If the IMAX wasn't ready to take over for Sears in Manhattan, I bet that store would still be there. I don't understand how Sears is still able to operate in Topeka, I can't imagine it's profitable.

The bankruptcy protection has helped Payless a little bit, their retail store on Wanamaker will remain open, but they axed around 100 jobs at corporate last I heard.
Sears closed the Towne West, Hutchinson Mall, Manhattan Town Center, and Lawrence, stores when the leases came up, and the Garden City and Salina stores were set to expire in early 2018. I don't know when Topeka and Towne East are up... The Sears owned REIT owns the Kmart on Wannamaker, the closed north Topeka Kmart, the Kansas City, KS Kmart, the closed Leavenworth Kmart, and the Overland Park Sears, which is in the process of closing. The OP Sears is closing because the REIT likely thinks the land will be more valuable to a perspective tenant if the 50 year old store is gone. I would have thought that Towne East and West Ridge would have been up before Hutch, Manhattan, Towne West, and Salina since they were both 80's builds compared to the latter four being constructed around 1994. GC and Lawrence were in converted Walmart's and opened in the late 90's.

When it comes to Kmart, their part of the joint company is no stranger to closures in the state either. The Manhattan store had the lease terminated, Topeka lost one during the previous bankruptcy, the north store was unprofitable, the Leavenworth store was closed for prospective development, the multitude of JoCo Kmart stores were all closed as the leases expired since Sears Holdings didn't own any of them, Wichita lost one to Kellogg, one to the first huge round of closures in 1994, one to the bankruptcy (Newton), and then the west store and Hutchinson were closed when the leases expired. Emporia closed because of a bad local economy, Garden City closed independently in 1991, just a few years after Walmart opened down the street, and then Hays, Great Bend, Arkansas City, and Liberal all closed in the 1994 mass closures. ALCO and Gibson's actually outlived Kmart for almost a decade in Garden City and Liberal. Woolworth and Ben Franklin had perished in Garden City just a short time earlier due to Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas