U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2017, 03:09 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
6,494 posts, read 4,853,812 times
Reputation: 5984

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seems like you're just casting about looking for something to whine about and vilify KS.

Hey look, they're 49th in cheese consumption by left handed dentists! Those jerks!

Also, you need to start sourcing your claims because frankly nobody can trust your claims when you're obviously just here to axe grind.


Ya know, in the 10 years that we have been watching Kansas get trashed here, there aren't a whole lot of said posts that wouldn't fit nicely in the same category as the bolded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2017, 08:03 AM
 
Location: Riley Co
39 posts, read 15,736 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Seems like you're just casting about looking for something to whine about and vilify KS.

Hey look, they're 49th in cheese consumption by left handed dentists! Those jerks!

Also, you need to start sourcing your claims because frankly nobody can trust your claims when you're obviously just here to axe grind.
My perspective is built upon my academic training (KSU Natural Resource & Park Mgmt (1976-78). I hold a strong belief that public lands must be accessible to all (as in no admission fees).

Here's what I commented on the LJW article:

"Linda Craghead, assistant secretary of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism. “… What we need to do right now is focus on those people who actively utilize our parks and try to encourage additional users.”

In contrast, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma & Colorado have managed to have a state park system NOT entirely based upon stagnant pools @ Corpse lakes which inundate the majority of facilities yearly.

As a former Nat. Resource & Park Mgmt major @ KSU, I've long held an interest in Kansas public lands. For years, it was common knowledge that KS was 50th in per capita public lands; lands used for recreation, and as such are counted as positive for Quality of Life issues when companies consider locations attractive to top-notch employee prospects.

In the last year. someone commented on a KS thread elsewhere, that KS was now 49th! It has taken me some Googling to find documentation:

US States Land Ownership by Percentage: Rank / State / % that is Public Land / % that is Private Land

49 / KS / 1.9% / 98.1% 50 / RI / 1.5% / 98.5%

Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost

How did this happen? Did KSDWP&T finally sell Lake Inman* for private resort development?

*Lake Inman is a small lake in McPherson County, KS. With a surface area of approximately 1/4 square miles, it is the largest natural lake in the state.

Honestly, I believe KS beat Rhode Island by losing population! What a novel approach to increasing per capita public lands in KS without taking lands off the tax rolls by adding parks or something like the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve (I witnessed the locals fight that back in '79).


The axe I'm grinding is Kansas' state park system's stagnation, 1980s to today has seen very little diversification of recreational opportunities; no attempt to build public support for funding (Craghead related a legislator had told her KDWP&T needed to find other $ => whitewater park pipe dream); no additional public lands.

You can currently walk/bike into a Clinton State Park #2 for free (passengers in vehicles must pay admission). The whitewater company charges $60/day for admission to their NC waterpark. So KDWP&T proposes giving away 40 acres, and you would then have to pony up $60 to walk on a trail that was previously free.

Let me know anytime you doubt the accuracy of any of my posts.I'll be glad to provide links. See NBAF thread for my typical use of links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2017, 06:33 PM
 
44,654 posts, read 35,315,464 times
Reputation: 27381
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
My perspective is built upon my academic training (KSU Natural Resource & Park Mgmt (1976-78). I hold a strong belief that public lands must be accessible to all (as in no admission fees).

Here's what I commented on the LJW article:

"Linda Craghead, assistant secretary of the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism. “… What we need to do right now is focus on those people who actively utilize our parks and try to encourage additional users.”

In contrast, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma & Colorado have managed to have a state park system NOT entirely based upon stagnant pools @ Corpse lakes which inundate the majority of facilities yearly.

As a former Nat. Resource & Park Mgmt major @ KSU, I've long held an interest in Kansas public lands. For years, it was common knowledge that KS was 50th in per capita public lands; lands used for recreation, and as such are counted as positive for Quality of Life issues when companies consider locations attractive to top-notch employee prospects.

In the last year. someone commented on a KS thread elsewhere, that KS was now 49th! It has taken me some Googling to find documentation:

US States Land Ownership by Percentage: Rank / State / % that is Public Land / % that is Private Land

49 / KS / 1.9% / 98.1% 50 / RI / 1.5% / 98.5%

Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost Public and Private Land Percentages by US States : Facts & Information : SummitPost

How did this happen? Did KSDWP&T finally sell Lake Inman* for private resort development?

*Lake Inman is a small lake in McPherson County, KS. With a surface area of approximately 1/4 square miles, it is the largest natural lake in the state.

Honestly, I believe KS beat Rhode Island by losing population! What a novel approach to increasing per capita public lands in KS without taking lands off the tax rolls by adding parks or something like the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve (I witnessed the locals fight that back in '79).


The axe I'm grinding is Kansas' state park system's stagnation, 1980s to today has seen very little diversification of recreational opportunities; no attempt to build public support for funding (Craghead related a legislator had told her KDWP&T needed to find other $ => whitewater park pipe dream); no additional public lands.

You can currently walk/bike into a Clinton State Park #2 for free (passengers in vehicles must pay admission). The whitewater company charges $60/day for admission to their NC waterpark. So KDWP&T proposes giving away 40 acres, and you would then have to pony up $60 to walk on a trail that was previously free.

Let me know anytime you doubt the accuracy of any of my posts.I'll be glad to provide links. See NBAF thread for my typical use of links.
Thanks for providing a source.

Consider the following:

1) Instead of starting a new thread about how we shouldn't hand over these lands and cite why, you instead chose to just add on to a KS bashing thread. Do you understand how that frames your additional post?

2) Both your user name and your obvious bitter personal and employment issues in the state communicated via long hateful rants also frames your posts.

Why not try something like posting something that is informative, with sources and point out why KS citizens should be in favor of or opposed to it and how we can positively respond or throw our support or opposition behind?

Whatever anger and issues you are dealing with, we're not you're whipping boy. We're used to it we get it a lot here, maybe um, read this thread? Or maybe if you'd posted here for a while you'd realize that we've even had threads mocking us because a serial killer in the state fed people to hogs and "well that's KS for you". So if you want to just come in here throwing down then hitch up your garters but otherwise I would love to hear some of your comments once you lose some of the anger you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 12:22 AM
 
44,654 posts, read 35,315,464 times
Reputation: 27381
*crickets*

I can't wait for the next ever changing negative metric of KS.

Next it may be reservoir levels compared to Houston or the percentage reduction in shootings if they rank low in that or perhaps the eclipses per town for 2017.

At some point, it gets ridiculous because when unemployment is extremely low, we get attacked for low jobs growth. LMAO.

It's good there are government jobs or McDonalds etc. to employ some of the posters we've had to deal with around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Riley Co
39 posts, read 15,736 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*crickets*

I can't wait for the next ever changing negative metric of KS.
FYI: your deductive skills are somewhat skewed. I didn't comment in the KS thread to be taught forum etiquette. I posted on NBAF because there was no other thread on the subject. AFAIK, only one newspaper, the Lawrence Journal World ever printed anything concerning the former USAMRIID colonels working @ KSU had been questioned by the FBI as to which of their researchers was the Anthrax Mailer.

In June '08, Cols Nancy & Jerry Jaax wrote a LTE to The Manhattan Mercury about how safe the NBAF would be, based upon their careers @ USAMRIID & in fact, it was so safe their son still lived across the street. . . . in August, the FBI would announce the Anthrax Mailer as a 19-year USARMIID researcher who walked to work.

as for the topic of this thread, IT IS NOT A CHANGING METRIC, at least in my experience with correlation metrics, moving from 50th to 49th over the 4 decades of my observance wasn't "ever changing."

I was a KS FAN BOY from 1953-2008; the NBAF put an end to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 PM
 
44,654 posts, read 35,315,464 times
Reputation: 27381
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
FYI: your deductive skills are somewhat skewed. I didn't comment in the KS thread to be taught forum etiquette. I posted on NBAF because there was no other thread on the subject. AFAIK, only one newspaper, the Lawrence Journal World ever printed anything concerning the former USAMRIID colonels working @ KSU had been questioned by the FBI as to which of their researchers was the Anthrax Mailer.

In June '08, Cols Nancy & Jerry Jaax wrote a LTE to The Manhattan Mercury about how safe the NBAF would be, based upon their careers @ USAMRIID & in fact, it was so safe their son still lived across the street. . . . in August, the FBI would announce the Anthrax Mailer as a 19-year USARMIID researcher who walked to work.

as for the topic of this thread, IT IS NOT A CHANGING METRIC, at least in my experience with correlation metrics, moving from 50th to 49th over the 4 decades of my observance wasn't "ever changing."

I was a KS FAN BOY from 1953-2008; the NBAF put an end to that.
The changing metric comment is that for years this forum has been subject to a fairly constant onslaught of "bad Kansas" posts which shift to whatever is convenient but then dies down when it isn't.

For example, we got bashed for unemployment rates when neighboring states were oil booming....but when that stops....then unemployment rate doesn't really matter. lol.

Pretty much anything negative that can be dug up and most of it is either politically motivated or state rivalry based.

I don't care if you choose to follow forum etiquette or not, I'm not the boss of you.

However, if you get crap for coming in swinging to a forum like you have then don't complain when you reap what you sow. (Also, pause and consider that you obviously have A LOT of anger and that maybe consider how you are directing it and how it would be received. You have a lot of knowledge, I'd love to benefit from more of that and less of the anger...but of course, that's your choice. I think some of us might be quite receptive to some learnin' on topics you know about but you catch more flies with honey eh?)

Lastly, don't get me wrong. I fully recognize the state has made mistakes and has some bad policies and so forth that's not the issue. It's the lack of impartiality or balance that has this forum sensitive to just one more big ole bash on the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 09:40 PM
 
4,130 posts, read 1,884,231 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*crickets*

I can't wait for the next ever changing negative metric of KS.

Next it may be reservoir levels compared to Houston or the percentage reduction in shootings if they rank low in that or perhaps the eclipses per town for 2017.

At some point, it gets ridiculous because when unemployment is extremely low, we get attacked for low jobs growth. LMAO.

It's good there are government jobs or McDonalds etc. to employ some of the posters we've had to deal with around here.
You guys have affordable housing down at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top