U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 67,953 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Ft Riley this summer. We are looking for a small town with a good school, our daughter will be starting high school. We don't want to drive forever to get to post either. Any help would be great. Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM

11 posts, read 104,477 times
Military Family here. We live in Junction City. We have 2 high school age children. Son is a senior, daughter is a sophomore.

We chose JC over Manhattan primarily because of the schools. Both districts are good, but JC was a better fit for us because it was more like our old school district in Leavenworth, Kansas. 'A' days and 'B' days. If your kids go to a school like that then you know what I mean.

We also liked the closeness of JC. We bought a new house in the new sub-divisions and I have a 20ish minute drive to work.

While it is true that Manhattan is bigger and has more stores we just felt that JC was more in tune with the military. Not knocking Manhattan; but the whole town seems awfully focused on the college.

Don't automatically listen to what everybody says. Everyone we talked to prior to moving here was pretty negative about JC but when I asked how old their information was it was pretty old. Maybe it wasn't so nice back in 'the day' but that has changed.

Lots of new construction and new neighborhoods to choose from.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 20,677 times
Of all places my hubby and I have PCSed, we moved to Milford (above and right of Ft. Riley) this is the place we've most considered staying and retiring in the future. We bought a home in Milford, we live on a lake, I drive 15 mins to post to work, him the same. The area is great for hunting and fishing and watersports. High school is Junction City for this city, but Wakefield is 10 mins north of us and many of my neighbors who have HS kids send them to Wakefield. It's a small school, but great for sports and community type events. Great football team. In Milford we have a small ES school that my kids love. My home is actually available here as we are moving to Lvnwth here soon. My house and the neighborhood has been nothing short of a blessing to us as he deployed for 15 months and I moved off post because of that. I love it here, love my neighbors, everyone just takes care of everyone. The area is awesome here, not much to do, but if you're a lake lover or outdoorsy-type, you'll be in the right spot. Leave a post here if you want more information from me. Be glad to help, as I am currently looking for a home in Lvnwth and wondering about that area as well.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:14 PM

32 posts, read 135,544 times
Default Schools in JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznconfzd View Post
My husband and I will be moving to Ft Riley this summer. We are looking for a small town with a good school, our daughter will be starting high school. We don't want to drive forever to get to post either. Any help would be great. Thanks
Junction City is where the post is located, it's the closest city, Milford is also close. Because the post itself has a larger population than the city's you'll find more activity on post. The surrounding cities depend heavily on the post. It is very much a military town. The schools are pretty decent. Me and my wife moved here about a year and half ago. One of our sons is autistic and he goes to the Larry Dixon Learning Center, its been great for him. My oldest son is about to start school at Washington St elementary. His teachers have been to our house and have been working with him for about a year already.There's more info and stuff on www.jcklive.com.
There are regular events through this Parents As Teachers program to keep parents involved. I have no complaints about the school system here at all. If you want to stay close, try Junction City, there's nice homes due to lots of new development and nice older homes between 1st street and 6 street. Also on Jackson st. Whenever we feel the need for big city activities we drive to either Topeka (1hour) or Kansas City (2hrstops). Kansas City is well worth the drive.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 AM

4 posts, read 38,200 times
Smile Moving to FT Riley

there are a lot of nice small towns in the area I would stay away from Ogden as I have seen and heard of drug problems but there is towns Chapman "which was recently hit by tornatos but the town is and a wonderful place to live people are mostly military and who isnt is born and raised Chapman Irishmen, polite and very great teachers I dont know what is going on with the schools right now but I would bet my money on that town also Enterprise is a good small town.
Good Luck if you need someone to chat with I am dionna
my email is [EMAIL="lilbit4fun@yahoo.com"]lilbit4fun@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 09-12-2008, 03:08 PM

1 posts, read 20,326 times
[SIZE=3]Hey there. I am a single E5 SGT. I have been informed that I will be doing a PCS move to FT Riley next year. My report date is 10 Aug 2009. I have been trying to find out what the policy is for single E5 NCO's getting BAH/ BAS. This way I will be able to start looking around the area for a place to stay ext. Also I am very interested in what the different communities are like around the area. I have been told that some places like Junction City have a high crime rate and that solders do run in to problems from time to time from the local civilians as well as the university students. I am currently living in the FT. Stewart area and I do have a CCP or Concealed Carry Permit that does carry over the state of Kansas. Does any one feel that there will be a need for me to take use of this, considering the area that surrounds FT. Riley? Also how would you say the local population for the most part accepts the military or not quite so much? [/SIZE]

Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 20,128 times
Hi,
I just found our that my husband and I are being transfered to Fort Riley come May. I know it seems like a ways out but I'm trying to familiarize myself with resources around the area inorder to find employment. I saw your request and thought I could write you back. I was wondering if you have found any services that provide in-home or center based ABA services, I'm in the process of beginning the requirements to become board certified (in ABA).

Kris

Quote:

Old 11-05-2008, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 44,470 times
The Fort Riley region has a growing relationship with the Fort and supports it in any way possible. Info about Manhattan: Manhattan Kansas Chamber of Commerce - About Manhattan. Here's some housing info: Manhattan Association of REALTORS (http://www.manhattanrealtors.net/default.asp?content=search&menu_id=5984 - broken link).

Old 11-01-2009, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 18,180 times
Default Welcome to ks and ft riley

Quote:

Check out the town of Milford, right on the lake...but don't buy, especially if you guys will only be at Riley for 3 years or less...resale is rough and you will lose money. UNLESS you can get a very very good deal.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:41 PM

5 posts, read 25,539 times
I have a question for anyone out there. I have the options of Fort Riley, Fort Drum, and Fort Bliss for my next duty station. If anyone could give me info on the surrounding area, schools, housing, jobs for my wife, etc. on any or all of these duty station since I have not been to any of them. Thank you very much for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas