U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM

182 posts, read 384,338 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Hays Kansas. How do you deal with the wind people talk about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 08:40 AM

34,813 posts, read 33,657,209 times
The same way you deal with the wind anywhere else, it cannot be changed nor controlled.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:42 AM

19,327 posts, read 32,177,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia to Northeast PA View Post
I am moving to Hays Kansas. How do you deal with the wind people talk about?
I lived there for a few years. Locals are friendly, decent amount of things to do, yet a very small town mentality. Weather is very extreme across the board with crazy wind much of the time. You either adapt or eventually leave like many people. The common theme is that the weather there has very little in common with any area of the US along and east of the Mississippi River. This means extreme temperature swings, a "steppe" climate, meaning semi-arid much of the time.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:53 AM

1,084 posts, read 237,933 times
I turned down a job at the university there. The town is tiny and not close to anything much larger. Don't know about the weather I was only there for a few hours. Instantly knew it was not for me, the people seemed to be on the older side - a lot of MAGA hats running around too.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:38 PM

3,569 posts, read 1,631,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
I turned down a job at the university there. The town is tiny and not close to anything much larger. Don't know about the weather I was only there for a few hours. Instantly knew it was not for me, the people seemed to be on the older side - a lot of MAGA hats running around too.
What's a maga hat?

Hays definitely isn't for everyone. But it is a decent little town with friendly people. Good quality of life and cost of living is good as long as one can deal with the weather and isolation.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 PM

19,327 posts, read 32,177,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
What's a maga hat?

Hays definitely isn't for everyone. But it is a decent little town with friendly people. Good quality of life and cost of living is good as long as one can deal with the weather and isolation.
Make America Great Again hat..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:55 PM

3,569 posts, read 1,631,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Make America Great Again hat..
Ah ok. Maybe I haven't really paid attention, but I can't think of seeing any around here, even during the election cycle.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:45 PM

1,084 posts, read 237,933 times
Quote:
Ah ok. Maybe I haven't really paid attention, but I can't think of seeing any around here, even during the election cycle.
It may have been a matter of perspective. I am fairly new to KS, in the city and neighborhood that I lived in before moving the chance of seeing a MAGA hat in the wild would have been slightly less likely than finding the Easter Bunny riding a unicorn. As soon as we saw the hats my Latina spouse said no effing way to Hays. Too much Real America for us. Wichita has worked out nicely though, the larger and more diverse population suits us much better.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:10 AM

641 posts, read 679,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I lived there for a few years. Locals are friendly, decent amount of things to do, yet a very small town mentality. Weather is very extreme across the board with crazy wind much of the time. You either adapt or eventually leave like many people. The common theme is that the weather there has very little in common with any area of the US along and east of the Mississippi River. This means extreme temperature swings, a "steppe" climate, meaning semi-arid much of the time.
You haven't lived there recently, though and I have for the past seven years.

Hays has swung more to the far right side of politics in recent years, and the only thing that has defied that was the defeat of Sue Boldra last fall.

Sternberg is falling apart, and the main attraction, the fish within a fish, is going to be out of state for a very long time according to the Facebook page of the couple that recently restored it and moved it down to Florida. There is also an attitude of anti-progress here that is possibly only rivaled by the undeserved hate that any talks about the KC Streetcar or updating KCI receive from locals who rarely use them. We've had a couple of good retail and restaurant developments chased off in recent years because the city commission and community refuse to help developers out because they're scared of a repeat of the the Dial Properties Hays Mall special sales tax fiasco that has left us with a second mostly vacant indoor shopping mall. The towns rental properties, both commercial and residential, tend to be owned by absentee landlords who often live out of town, out of state in the case of commercial properties like the empty Carlos O'Kelly's, the vacant Village Inn, the failing Big Creek Crossing Mall and a few others.

There really isn't much to do here unless you like bars or seeing the same half-functioning exhibits at Sternburg every year. The other option is hoping that the Encore Series brings in a good concert (last season was horrid, the two before had a few decent acts like the musicals Annie and Everything Goes) or that Fort Hays is performing well in sports that season. The aquatics park is shabby and they have to have employees stand IN the lazy river and push people at certain points because the jets in areas are either non-functioning, or only working at partial capacity. The permanent residents have also shot down multiple bond issues to improve their literally crumbling school facilities (one heavily used building has a flat out hole in the back wall and they have to use a portable generator to power electric equiptment), and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I've been in most of the school facilities in the district on multiple occasions. These buildings have 20+ years of deferred maintenance that makes the TMP field house look good, and it had a partial roof collapse AFTER "repairs' were done to keep it from getting condemned.

Shorman is right. There are a lot of Confederate flags and MAGA signs, shirts, hats, and bumper stickers around town, more so than I've seen in Southwest Kansas between Garden, Dodge, and Liberal by far. I had a Hispanic coworker at a previous job in Hays, and she was told that she should go back to her own country and (insert comments about Trump and deportation) quite often, and we knew she wasn't making it up because we saw and heard it happen. The worst part was is that she was a third generation Kansan and wasn't very fluent in Spanish.

Quote:
Shawnee County is FAR more Moderate than what Ellis County and Hays have become. Sue Boldra, a teacher who is a part of the FHSU college of education, and who is also a HUGE Brownback supporter, would have likely won if there hadn't been a big campaign to expose her and get the FHSU faculty and students to vote her out. Yes, Hays had previously elected a representative who is against funding the university that keeps her town and job alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas