Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:55 PM

54 posts, read 119,786 times

Advertisements

Hello

After months of (my mother and I) searching around the country for a new place to live, my mother has decided to move to Madison, KS. I don't know much about the area, but it seems pretty remote. Correct me if I am wrong. We are about to make a trip out there to take a look at the area. I am considering moving out and moving elsewhere in Kansas, somewhere closer to a city, but I don't know much about Kansas, so I would be looking for awhile. I am in my 20s. I would like to live in a SAFE smallish town with access to a bigger city, but I would be renting an apartment or getting a room, so a small town may not work for that. But maybe it would. If not, then a safe smallish city outside of a bigger one. I would be looking for a part time job probably as a cashier somewhere. The key is safety and low crime for me. That's why I don't want to be directly in a big city. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might look for a small city with part time jobs? Job has to be part time for complex reasons. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 02:53 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,941 times
Wow. Did somebody throw a dart at a map? I don't know about Madison, KS, but looks pretty small and remote. May not even have a grocery store. There are many small towns closer to larger cities. Basehor, DeSoto, Tonganoxie, Bonner Springs are a few where you could find a part time job not too far away.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:20 PM

yea its pretty remote. Not sure why she's trying to move there. Thanks for the town names. Does anyone know whether the coal plant in St. Mary's has been toxic to people, or how faraway one should try to live from it to be safe? Do people ever get sick from it?

Old 08-26-2017, 07:17 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
To save my fellow C-Ders a trip to Google maps, Madison is 21 miles south of Emporia on the edge of the Flint Hills.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:56 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I'm in Emporia, and there is nothing in Madison, but the houses are cheaper which I would attribute to the flooding issue. When the road floods, anyone needing to come into work or shop has to go way out of their way to actually get to Emporia where there are services, grocery store, medical services, etc.

OP would need to define "smallish" and also "safe" as to what they are trying to avoid. One always must use caution these days. Anyone expecting a place where they can leave the doors unlocked isn't being realistic, unless they have a time machine.

Jobs can be not existent in "smallish" cities, again, need to know exactly what that means, but then again, so will finding an apartment be difficult in "smallish" cities. Keep in mind that when there aren't many jobs, long time residents and their children snag the ones they have.

OP: Better define "smallish", biggest crime issue will be thief in smaller cities. Illegal drugs plague the whole country and also what comes with that, usually thief.

Also, when you say "larger" city, are you talking about something as large as Topeka or Wichita, or something more like Manhattan or Salina? Do you have specific needs in a larger city? I know that Manhattan isn't "smallish", but they have grown and as a college town offer a lot of possibilities for part-time employment and apartment rentals. Emporia would also offer some good possibilities on both being a college town, lots of part-time jobs and apartment rentals - population about 25,000.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:13 PM

Wow - I didn't know about the flooding issue. Do the floods affect the homes in Madison, do they cause any destruction to homes usually?

I am probably looking for a city smaller than Topeka. Maybe 35,000-100,000. Just to have options. I will check out Salina and Manhattan. I just want someplace without violent crime. Someplace where I could safely live in an apartment and not have to worry about being mugged or stalked. I would probably rent an apartment in a smaller town outside of the city and then drive to the city for work and activities.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 PM

Also- how often are the floods in Madison?

Old 08-28-2017, 03:11 PM

Not sure if it floods in Madison, but I know it does between Emporia and Madison, this was this spring: Widespread flooding as more than 3.5 inches of rain reported in Emporia | Area News | emporiagazette.com

This was 20 years ago: https://www.weather.gov/ict/halloweenflood

This is what I remember happening: K-99 road closure causes inconvenience | News | emporiagazette.com I did see several homes go on the market in Madison after that.

Some people also like Lawrence, KS. I haven't been there. Another college town, so it would have part-time jobs and rentals.

This is the KS Crime Index, if you go to the bottom, you'll come across info for county and/or particular city, the types of crimes and how many of them they have had. http://www.kansas.gov/kbi/stats/docs...me%20Index.pdf

Also, a town of 50,000 to 100,000 is biggish city in KS, not a smallish one.

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 08-28-2017 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-29-2017, 04:55 PM

Ok thanks much. What is Kansas like in terms of the people? what are the people like?

Old 08-30-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cblueberry1 View Post
Ok thanks much. What is Kansas like in terms of the people? what are the people like?
That just really depends. Can you be more specific? I can tell you that Manhattan would be more welcoming than Emporia to people moving in because of the military presence, Salina also. If you looking for "Mayberry", it isn't here nor anywhere else. You'll still be locking your house and car doors, it isn't white picket fences and smiling faces where everyone greets one another. Not sure where you are moving from, it can be an improvement, especially the cost of living. Just not sure what you are looking for. I am not a Kansan, but have spent much of my adult life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas