U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 01:26 PM

3,569 posts, read 1,631,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
57 murders in the whole of Scotland, pop. 5.4 million last year. I think there were 3 in my own city (500,000 people) Further fall in Scottish murder rate - BBC News
America needs to ban guns.
The far right will barely even discuss regulating guns let alone ban them. I personally don't believe guns should be banned, but I do believe they should be more regulated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 08:49 AM

952 posts, read 1,020,322 times
I don't think our Constitution contemplated the advances in gun technology and the resulting exponential population growth. Laws may need to be adapted over time, for the better of the country, as the environment changes. Looking back through old newspapers, it is clear there were a lot of random murders through history. Many surrounded individual disagreements and alcohol may have been involved. Don't see the mass murders in our history, however, that we are now seeing. In addition, there is a significant percentage of mental illness in the population, somewhere around 20%. Alcohol, drugs, mental illness, poverty, fear and the availability of guns, may all play into it.

Legal Information Institute:
The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Such language has created considerable debate regarding the Amendment's intended scope. On the one hand, some believe that the Amendment's phrase "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms" creates an individual constitutional right for citizens of the United States. Under this "individual right theory," the United States Constitution restricts legislative bodies from prohibiting firearm possession, or at the very least, the Amendment renders prohibitory and restrictive regulation presumptively unconstitutional. On the other hand, some scholars point to the prefatory language "a well regulated Militia" to argue that the Framers intended only to restrict Congress from legislating away a state's right to self-defense. Scholars have come to call this theory "the collective rights theory." A collective rights theory of the Second Amendment asserts that citizens do not have an individual right to possess guns and that local, state, and federal legislative bodies therefore possess the authority to regulate firearms without implicating a constitutional right.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Status: ""Abortion Stops A Beating Heart!"" (set 5 days ago)

18,278 posts, read 12,022,307 times
Over 10,000 Americans were killed in accidents caused by alcohol impaired drivers in 2015. Prohibition? There is already a law against driving under the influence. https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...factsheet.html

I never care much for foreigners, including those illegally in our country, to tell us how "it" should be.

So, who thinks they would be better off in Scotland than Kansas? 13 reasons why nobody should move to Scotland, from a Scotsman | Metro News Violent crime in Scotland on the rise: Violent crime in Scotland in on the rise, figures show | UK | News | Express.co.uk - knife crime!

Seriously, I think everyone should address the issues of their own area, that is the only way to get anything done, the change has to come from "within".

Hey, I have Scottish ancestors who chose to come to the USA.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:17 AM

386 posts, read 408,856 times
We still have less than a quarter the murder rate of the US plus free medical care for all.

You can't even safely walk the streets of Topeka at night. When was the last time Kansas (at half the population of Scotland) had 57 murders in a year? (the answer is never). You had 148 murders in 2016. By my reckoning that's almost six times the Scottish rate. I won't even bring up the numbers for places like KC Mo. What were the numbers for Wichita? Remember there were just 3 in Edinburgh. I had to laugh at this quote:

“So to see an uptick isn’t unusual or unexpected at some point. It’s good to remember that even with the increases, we’re well below the numbers where we were years ago,” Klumpp said.

And it's all down to guns, Trump won't change that. Even the regular police here don't carry guns. Here's a recent article: Murder in Kansas up 46 percent since 2014 .

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-...176788606.html

Last edited by Dreamnine; 10-08-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 12:29 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,195,380 times
Dreamnine - how much of your pay goes to pay for that free medical care. And do you have to wait to get in to go see the doctor. Those two questions are the ones heard over and over again. Yeah, you and Canada have "free" medical care, but, and it is a big butt, how much does the average citizen have to pay for that "free" medical care. Then, when you're sick and feeling bad, how long do you have ta wait ta get in ta see you doc? If your answers to these questions are supportive of your position, I will stand up and take notice. If your answers are negative, then I'll once again feel good about living in the good 'ole USA.

Old 10-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Dreamnine - how much of your pay goes to pay for that free medical care. And do you have to wait to get in to go see the doctor. Those two questions are the ones heard over and over again. Yeah, you and Canada have "free" medical care, but, and it is a big butt, how much does the average citizen have to pay for that "free" medical care. Then, when you're sick and feeling bad, how long do you have ta wait ta get in ta see you doc? If your answers to these questions are supportive of your position, I will stand up and take notice. If your answers are negative, then I'll once again feel good about living in the good 'ole USA.
I've had cancer this past 15 months and the doctors have been superb, both in hospital and my general practitioners.

I can phone at 8 in the morning and see a doctor the same morning. National Insurance contributions are low here...even those unemployed and immigrants are treated equally. And remember, our government is Conservative, quite right-wing really but not by US standards.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 PM

When was the last time that Dreamnine was in Topeka, KS? Seriously, I googled several articles, I wouldn't move to Scotland as it seems to have problems of its own which should really be addressed by their citizens, and frankly, as long as they don't try to mooch off of our taxpayers or want us to fight a war for them, I don't care what they do.

I do see that the English send money to Scotland: UK subsidy to Scotland soars after oil price slump | HeraldScotland Oil prices dropped, and it looks like they will continue to drop.

As I said, best if residents work on their own issues.

Old 10-08-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
When was the last time that Dreamnine was in Topeka, KS? Seriously, I googled several articles, I wouldn't move to Scotland as it seems to have problems of its own which should really be addressed by their citizens, and frankly, as long as they don't try to mooch off of our taxpayers or want us to fight a war for them, I don't care what they do.

I do see that the English send money to Scotland: UK subsidy to Scotland soars after oil price slump | HeraldScotland Oil prices dropped, and it looks like they will continue to drop.

As I said, best if residents work on their own issues.
I've got relatives in Garden City, I was last there in 2004 so I know a bit about Kansas.

Old 10-11-2017, 04:58 AM

5,028 posts, read 4,561,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
No, we don't need to ban guns, we need to close the southern border down and stop the free flow of illegal drugs. Our "war on drugs" is a joke. Many cities have come to depend on the influx of cash, thus illegal drugs have become a cash cow for many.

I lived in one of the smaller towns, just found it on the 10 most dangerous cities in KS, and being able to know what was going on behind the scenes, most of the crime, including murders had to do with illegal drugs, either using them or just bad deals going down.

Being closer to historical places that learned the hard way, I am surprised you aren't aware of what happens when guns are banned, or do they not teach history in your country?
Legalize drugs if you want to stop the crime around them. Trying to close a border as a way to fight against drugs is a foolish waste of money. They will continue to find ways to get drugs here as long as people want to buy them and as long as they are illegal, criminals will be the suppliers. There’s too much money involved for them to not find a way. There are already massive tunnels under the existing wall. Do you think a taller wall will help? It’s asinine.

This thread is hilarious by the way. Lawrence is hardly a dangerous place.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 10-11-2017 at 05:26 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM

A high rate of crime indicates a "dangerous" place in the minds of most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas