U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 08:42 AM

90 posts, read 24,808 times

Advertisements

Electing Brownback-lite Kobach? What a fantastic idea! This state is slowly bleeding out youth, why live here when Colorado is a couple hours away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 05:34 PM

31 posts, read 7,835 times
Confirmation bias is what you call it when you look only at information that makes your case, then close your eyes and ears to other evidence.
Kobach is not well-known to people who don't read much national news. Most of the people don't want to hear any more about this administration than they have to -- on either side of the political spectrum.
Kobach is nowhere near as familiar to people as Santa, Jesus, or, I don't know, Harry Potter?

But anyone who is following the Trump administration knows who Arpaio is, and Kobach is almost as infamous or well-known, depending on your political view.

Last edited by Juanii; 11-12-2017 at 06:51 PM..

Old 11-20-2017, 10:38 AM

644 posts, read 686,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Only among the left-wing media and their inner circle.
He has been featured on national news and been made fun of on late night TV.

People in Kansas tend to not vote and then complain about the election results. People in several Kansas counties are complaining that sales tax and bond issues passed when only 11-18% of voters in their county even cast a ballot.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:33 AM

860 posts, read 1,306,195 times
SHAWNEE, Kan. (AP) — If you thought Kansas emerged from its long budget crisis to reject deep-red politics and move back toward the center, think again.
A year ago, many voters concluded that Republican Gov. Sam Brownback’s experiment in cutting income taxes had ended in failure, opening the door to a more moderate agenda. But now an even more aggressively conservative figure could win next year’s race for governor.
Secretary of State Kris Kobach, a Harvard-, Yale- and Oxford-educated lawyer, leads a large field of likely candidates after building a national reputation as hardline provocateur on immigration and voter ID laws. His visibility rose sharply after President Donald Trump appointed him to help lead a commission on election fraud.
“People know who I am,” he declared during a recent interview. “I don’t have to spend a lot of time and money explaining what my position is or what my brand is.”
Although the election is still a year away, Kobach’s many critics wonder whether he can be stopped, citing his political skills, his name recognition and his loyal base of supporters.
It’s a remarkable scenario for a state supposedly weary of ideological drama. Until recently, many observers were betting that Kansas would seek moderation — not the most explosive conservative option available.
The state’s recent financial woes offered a warning about how not to practice trickle-down economics. After Brownback persuaded the Republican-controlled Legislature to slash income taxes in 2012, Kansas struggled to balance its budget.
At the same time, the Legislature has been embroiled in a test of wills with a state Supreme Court that says school spending is unconstitutionally inadequate.
Voters last year ousted two dozen conservative lawmakers. Most of Brownback’s tax cuts were rolled back this year with a $600 million-a-year tax hike.
Meanwhile, Kobach has become an icon to many Kansas conservatives.
Kobach first gained national attention more than a decade ago as a law professor who drafted state and local policies against illegal immigration, including Arizona’s “show your papers” law. As Kansas’ top elections official since 2011, he won passage of strict voter ID laws, which resulted in multiple voting-rights lawsuits.
During the presidential race, Kobach not only backed Trump’s call to build a wall along the U.S-Mexican border but publicly outlined a plan for forcing Mexico to pay for it.
After the election, Kobach met with Trump and proposed a homeland security plan that included federal registration and “extreme vetting” for some immigrants and changes in federal voting laws to encourage state “proof of citizenship” requirements for new voters, like Kansas has.
He still has regular contact with the White House and was among the sources behind Trump’s unsubstantiated claim that millions of illegal ballots kept the president from winning the popular vote. He’s also a regular Breitbart News columnist.
Supporters describe Kobach as a fighter, and the square-jawed 51-year-old has the physical presence of a former heavyweight. He delivers comments in public about immigration and election fraud that outrage others with calm certitude. The words flow even when he’s arguing on his feet.
He believes his strong stance on immigration plays well with blue-collar Democrats and independents, but he’s running as an unabashed conservative, promising no “pivot” after the primary.
In his campaign, Kobach remains an abortion opponent and guns-rights advocate. He has excoriated this year’s state tax increase, promised to cut government and declared that just because lawmakers appropriate tax dollars, a governor does not have to spend them.
With the state’s GOP and Democratic Party fractured, the race could draw 20-some candidates.
Because Kansas has no runoffs, a Republican could win the nomination in a crowded primary with only a dedicated base of supporters. And Kobach’s critics worry about independent and third-party candidates improving his chances of winning in November with less than a majority.
Kobach’s biggest GOP challenger is Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer, who has been waiting to take over as governor since Trump nominated Brownback in July to be ambassador-at-large for international religious freedom. But Colyer faces the challenge of separating himself from an unpopular administration.
Some Republicans tout former state Rep. Mark Hutton, the founder of a Wichita construction company and critic of Brownback tax policies.
Many of the rivals are attractive to voters unhappy with Brownback, like Jim Ruble, a Salina banker and Republican who argues that Kansas needs “pragmatism” and sees Kobach as too “ultra-conservative.”
The problem, Ruble says, is the front-runner’s political skills: “The guy’s good.”
Democrats’ leading candidates are former Wichita Mayor Carl Brewer, former state Agriculture Secretary Joshua Svaty and Kansas House Minority Leader Jim Ward.
Many Democrats expect Kobach to be the GOP nominee and see him as the ideal foil after recent Democratic victories in the Virginia and New Jersey governor’s races.
Brent Lockee, a Kansas City-area data scientist, called Kobach “not someone I trust.” But he acknowledged that Kobach’s status “gives him a pretty good chance of winning.”
Democrats are split over how liberal their nominee must be on issues such as abortion to energize the party’s base, and consultants and activists are waging a fierce and increasingly bitter feud over internal leadership disputes.
So for now, the race tilts Kobach’s way.
“He definitely has a path to victory, and it definitely has to do with the numbers rather than necessarily what most people want,” said state Sen. Barbara Bollier, a moderate Kansas City-area Republican. “It’s exactly how we ended up with Trump.”

Old 11-20-2017, 04:19 PM

44 posts, read 17,350 times
re: above article, this comment appeared on LJW

Phillip Chappuie

John Prine told us that grandpa voted for Eisenhower because Lincoln won the war. I'm afraid that still carries in Kansas today. People vote against their own best interest and don't know they are doing just that. But hey, hope eternal. There are so many Repub candidates maybe a moderate can slip in.

AFAIK, that's the only reason all my relatives vote R . . .

Old 11-20-2017, 04:28 PM

3,607 posts, read 1,662,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
re: above article, this comment appeared on LJW

Phillip Chappuie

John Prine told us that grandpa voted for Eisenhower because Lincoln won the war. I'm afraid that still carries in Kansas today. People vote against their own best interest and don't know they are doing just that. But hey, hope eternal. There are so many Repub candidates maybe a moderate can slip in.

AFAIK, that's the only reason all my relatives vote R . . .
Perhaps, but Eisenhower was one of the best presidents our country has ever seen.

Old 11-21-2017, 08:10 AM
Status: ""Abortion Stops A Beating Heart!"" (set 22 days ago)

18,404 posts, read 12,136,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezball View Post
Electing Brownback-lite Kobach? What a fantastic idea! This state is slowly bleeding out youth, why live here when Colorado is a couple hours away.
Cost of living and/or weather. I wasn't aware that CO was doing all that well, of course, for those who only care about legal marijuana, I guess I could see the attraction, I know many moved from all over the country and now live on the streets as they couldn't afford housing. But, hey, we all have our priorities.

If you make $60,000 in Lawrence and move to Denver, you'll need $80,000 to maintain a similar lifestyle. Kansas City, $35,000 salary, you'll need $50,000 when you move to Denver, but you'll be able to buy legal pot.

The youth are leaving because of a lack of jobs, not legalization of pot. Kansas is very picky about letting in competition when it comes to employers, corrupt politicians in my mind control this. If we bring in an employer that pays a decent wage there is a fear that those paying crappy wages with crappy working conditions will lose employees, but most will lose them when the immigration workplace raids start again anyway, so not a real threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post

People in Kansas tend to not vote and then complain about the election results. People in several Kansas counties are complaining that sales tax and bond issues passed when only 11-18% of voters in their county even cast a ballot.
Actually, I learned something about that "percentage" in the last county we lived in. A woman in her 50s told me her grandparents were still on the roles and had been dead for many years, I asked if they ever removed anyone and she said not unless someone made the request. I asked if that didn't skew the results when it came to the percentage of registered voters that actually voted, of course it did.

I do vote, which entitles me to complain, BUT I am all to familiar (not being a Kansan) with "Well, it wouldn't matter anyway." that is so popular here.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:23 PM

44 posts, read 17,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Perhaps, but Eisenhower was one of the best presidents our country has ever seen.
Ah IKE . . . did you watch the PBS Vietnam series? Congress voted not to provide aid to the French troops surrounded @ Dien Bien Phu; Ike secretly had insignia painted over on transport planes & made air drops . . . under what authority?

Ike & his brother played "pro" baseball on an Abilene dairy's team. Ike went on to play football for Army, against Jim Thorpe in Carlisle's 1912 276 victory over Army. Prior to the game, Thorpe won gold medals in decathlon and pentathlon @ the 1912 Summer Olympics. Like Ike, Thorpe had indeed played professional baseball. The AAU decided to withdraw Thorpe's amateur status retroactively. 1913, the International Olympic Committee unanimously decided to strip Thorpe of his Olympic titles, medals and awards and declare him a professional. Per the rules of the day, neither Ike nor Thorpe should have been eligible for college football.

Then there's Kay Summersby => AFAIK, Ike was never subjected to Article 134 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice which makes criminal the act of adultery when certain legal criteria are met.

I had a # of I LIKE IKE buttons as a kid. Unfortunately, I no longer view him in the same rosy light. Ike was human, and he made errors he didn't own up to.

Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM

11,608 posts, read 11,324,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post

But they still have to pay taxes. To me, if you have to pay taxes then you earned the right to complain about what the government is doing. It's not a matter of whether you voted or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas