Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 02:37 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,886,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Cost of living and/or weather. I wasn't aware that CO was doing all that well, of course, for those who only care about legal marijuana, I guess I could see the attraction, I know many moved from all over the country and now live on the streets as they couldn't afford housing. But, hey, we all have our priorities.

If you make $60,000 in Lawrence and move to Denver, you'll need $80,000 to maintain a similar lifestyle. Kansas City, $35,000 salary, you'll need $50,000 when you move to Denver, but you'll be able to buy legal pot.

The youth are leaving because of a lack of jobs, not legalization of pot. Kansas is very picky about letting in competition when it comes to employers, corrupt politicians in my mind control this. If we bring in an employer that pays a decent wage there is a fear that those paying crappy wages with crappy working conditions will lose employees, but most will lose them when the immigration workplace raids start again anyway, so not a real threat.

Actually, I learned something about that "percentage" in the last county we lived in. A woman in her 50s told me her grandparents were still on the roles and had been dead for many years, I asked if they ever removed anyone and she said not unless someone made the request. I asked if that didn't skew the results when it came to the percentage of registered voters that actually voted, of course it did.

I do vote, which entitles me to complain, BUT I am all to familiar (not being a Kansan) with "Well, it wouldn't matter anyway." that is so popular here.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where cheezball said anything about pot. Colorado has been and continues to boom economically. There is no comparison what so ever to Kansas. And young people will generally choose a place that offers more and cost more than a place that offers less and cost less. It's even happening in KC now where most young people are choosing central KCMO over the suburbs now. Funny thing is that Kansas is not even that cheap, especially for what you get in return (very limited national/state parks, transit infrastructure, things to do, good jobs etc).

If people cared as much about cost of living as people seem to think, then why are all the cheap states the slowest growing states that are loosing younger people to out migration?

Living on the east coast, I can tell you that people have very little interest in moving to the Midwest because it's cheaper. Most would choose to stay and suffer rather than move to the midwest. I saw this in person when there were rumors of our office moving to OKC. Nobody would have moved, even though they would have lived like a king there. Most are just are not interested and it's only gotten worse since Trump because the entire Midwest, including the bigger cities, is stereotyped now more than ever before as older white people, backwards, boring, bible thumping racists "mericans" that live in the burbs, drive around in SUVs and pick up trucks and go to walmart and church for entertainment. It's not true, but that's what people think now and they want no part of it.

I don't think people realize how much this country is splitting up geographically. It's basically East Coast, West Coast, MSP, Denver, Chicago etc vs the entire rest of the country.

And as long as "flyover" country keeps voting in all these far right conservatives and blindly following people as ridiculous as Trump, Brownback etc, the image of the "heartland" is not going to change. Again, I think it's getting worse.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-07-2018 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 08:26 PM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see where cheezball said anything about pot. Colorado has been and continues to boom economically. There is no comparison what so ever to Kansas. And young people will generally choose a place that offers more and cost more than a place that offers less and cost less. It's even happening in KC now where most young people are choosing central KCMO over the suburbs now. Funny thing is that Kansas is not even that cheap, especially for what you get in return (very limited national/state parks, transit infrastructure, things to do, good jobs etc).

If people cared as much about cost of living as people seem to think, then why are all the cheap states the slowest growing states that are loosing younger people to out migration?

Living on the east coast, I can tell you that people have very little interest in moving to the Midwest because it's cheaper. Most would choose to stay and suffer rather than move to the midwest. I saw this in person when there were rumors of our office moving to OKC. Nobody would have moved, even though they would have lived like a king there. Most are just are not interested and it's only gotten worse since Trump because the entire Midwest, including the bigger cities, is stereotyped now more than ever before as older white people, backwards, boring, bible thumping racists "mericans" that live in the burbs, drive around in SUVs and pick up trucks and go to walmart and church for entertainment. It's not true, but that's what people think now and they want no part of it.

I don't think people realize how much this country is splitting up geographically. It's basically East Coast, West Coast, MSP, Denver, Chicago etc vs the entire rest of the country.

And as long as "flyover" country keeps voting in all these far right conservatives and blindly following people as ridiculous as Trump, Brownback etc, the image of the "heartland" is not going to change. Again, I think it's getting worse.
Oh brother, you again. I was in KCMO the other day and and between the dead dog lying in the street near Kessler park and the prostitutes and a half-dozen people begging for food (Please note I'm 100% truthful on all of that).....well how was I to know I was no longer in Johnson County?

At least you admit the problem is ignorance and I'll agree there is plenty of that on both sides of the political spectrum.

You really want to start wading in here again swinging around? Because I thought I made it clear before about how I can post JUST LIKE YOU in the MO forum and see the howls and gnashing of teeth ....

Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 PM

^ lol, you honestly think what you post has any impact what so ever on what and where I post? Think again.

Do what you want and I will do the same.

My point stands. The vast majority of people have no interest in moving to places like Kansas (or Missouri) and it's only gotten worse since Trump was elected and all the rhetoric that has come with him being president, but people that are moving to KC are choosing to move to the urban core of KCMO in large numbers.

Somehow I don't doubt for one second that you would be tripping over dead dogs, prostitutes and bums when you visit the city. Sounds interesting though. I'm in big cities all over the country all the time and I have less problems than you do in one afternoon in downtown KC. I would stay away from cities too.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

True to form....some things never change.

Heaven forbid that the facts would ever get in the way of your alternate reality....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ok/1019429001/

Much as it helps to patch the bruised egos of the TDS left, the notion that the people are "blindly following people as ridiculous as Trump" is just another example of the inverted image of reality living in "progressive" heads. The fact is that Trump's success is solely based on his devotion to doing the people's business in their best interests, the way we want it done. And he does a better job at that than any we've seen in our lifetimes, including Ronald Reagan. Trump is following us....and is, far and away, the most effective spokesman we have had in the modern era.

You're largely right about one thing. The image of the heartland won't change very much in the foreseeable future. But that image is not the one you are so desperately trying to think you see.

Old 08-08-2018, 08:50 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,380 times
I can’t wait to see all of the people in Lawrence, Johnson County, and Wichita blame rural western Kansas for Kobachs narrow victory when Sedgwick County and a narrow race in are the primary reasons Coyler lost.. The three largest counties in western Kansas had a lower turnout than smaller counties like Harvey.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
It looks like KKKobach is going to win. Stuff like this is why the state's economy is dying and people are fleeing the state in droves. Voting for racists with connections to white supremacist groups is not likely to entice businesses or people to move Kansas. The continued ability for Kansans to always do the wrong thing and shoot themselves in the foot is amazing.

Conservatives in Kanas will continue to blame the state's malaise on immigrants, Muslims, or some other boogeyman instead of blaming themselves. The alt-right nutbags are the people that are killing Kansas, you make the state into a national laughingstock at every available opportunity.

I can't wait until my employment contract runs out and my family can leave this chithole of a state.
It makes me glad that I started applying for jobs in our northern neighbor before I went to the polling station yesterday.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 AM

12,958 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Many Democrats believe that the most beatable candidate was Kobach. So they consider it a good thing to have to run against him.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:13 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
It looks like KKKobach is going to win. Stuff like this is why the state's economy is dying and people are fleeing the state in droves. Voting for racists with connections to white supremacist groups is not likely to entice businesses or people to move Kansas. The continued ability of Kansans to always do the wrong thing and shoot themselves in the foot is amazing.

Conservatives in Kanas will continue to blame the state's malaise on immigrants, Muslims, or some other boogeyman instead of blaming themselves. The alt-right nutbags are the people that are killing Kansas, you make the state into a national laughingstock at every available opportunity.

I can't wait until my employment contract runs out and my family can leave this chithole of a state. I guess Kansans like the aging population, very low job growth, decline of rural areas and the loss of educated young workers to more enlightened states since they keep voting for exactly the same policies over and over again.
Kobach is up by just under 200 votes and there are about 3400 provisional ballots. Supposedly, by the experts opinions... provisional ballots typically lean towards an incumbent. Those ballots are not counted until next week for whatever reason.

Colyer will hold an press announcement later this afternoon, he could be conceding defeat, but if I was him, Id wait on the provisional ballots.

Colyer to hold news conference amid close race

Old 08-08-2018, 01:40 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
The fact that Kobach received as many votes that he did is beyond disturbing.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The fact that Kobach received as many votes that he did is beyond disturbing.
Exactly why Trump has a very good chance of winning again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas