Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:02 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Depends on your timeframe. I agree it's a complex issue however.

Since say...1970-2014....Olathe has gone from 18k to 133k or about 8-9x growth.

OVP has gone from 70k+ to 180k+.

Considering schools like Olathe east were built <1960. *shrug*

Newer areas also have more basic long-term infrastructure builds like sewer, road and so forth if you're talking general property tax levels and not just the school charge.

Not to mention the fact that the SM school district incorporates a different area than just Overland Park.
I do find it interesting that Overland Park is growing faster in percentage terms this decade compared to Olathe, even though they have a much larger built-out portions of the city. In terms of housing stock, Olathe is newer but overall less high quality. Gardner slowed down growth substantially this decade. Resale is not good by an intermodal hub with large increases in truck traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 01:20 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
Property appraisals were protested in Kansas long before the advent of home computers. My wife worked for the McPherson County Appraiser, 1986-92.

AFAIK, the appraisal notice is always accompanied by written instructions on filling an appeal of the appraised value. I would caution you that some Kansans willingly pay property taxes to support their county, township, roads, schools, libraries, & many other things viewed as "civic reponsiblities." IF they chose to accept their evaluation doesn't = ignorance; nor any interest in discussing their views on taxation.

I'm not sure, but did you bring up ALABAMA in this discussion, or does AL = Allen County? I'm not sure Alabama is a comparable to Kansas; at least I hope not!
I have known many people that were afraid to protest their taxes out of fear they would be raised. It is a matter of it being unfair in the case of Geary County. Since you don't live there, right, then you don't understand. The real estate market there is different .

It isn't fair why someone with a $100,000 house is paying the same tax as someone with a $40,000 house. I have already explained that they use old sales figures, those during the "Boom" when there was a shortage of housing since the shortage caused housing to go in at an accelerated speed thus lowering the prices that older housing could demand, with now 27 pages of homes on the market and prices dropping and sales still not happening. My guess they are using sales figures from quite some time ago. Mostly this effects the military who Geary County has always exploited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSinmyrearviewmirror View Post
I believe the OP is a "she":

I looked at several properties being familiar with Geary County (lived there for 8 years) and husband is from there, and it was obvious what they are doing. I know who they are exploiting doing this, it is just too bad too. As I said, I fought them in Geary, in Bourbon and in Lyon and won.

Bourbon -> Geary -> Lyon -> Alabama IMHO that's not what the Jefferson's called "movin' on up." If anywhere else has a military spouse, I could fathom Geary & Alabama; but then the military don't always get their pick of locations. Maybe recruiter?

I'm not particularly surprised she thinks she's "won." What with: As I assured the appraiser yesterday when I spoke with her, I am well aware of the way it is supposed to be, and the way the counties do it, IF the people let them get away with it! I'm sure she's made a lot of friends, currently & in the future, with county appraisers.

IF every KS property owner got their appraiser to lower their evaluation, wouldn't that = budget shortfalls & having to raise property levies to remediate?

As I recall, Kansas required all counties to review property mapping in ~ 1986. My wife, a cartographer, was hired by McPherson County to oversee the contract for digitizing maps => resulting in a geographic information system (GIS). Few counties digitized then; but have since, Riley Co for example:

County and City Boundaries
Ownership Parcels
Street Centerlines
Zoning Districts
Parks and Trails
Water & Sanitary Sewer Networks
Political Jurisdictions
Aerial Photographic Images
Address Points

Best States Rankings
Measuring outcomes for citizens using more than 60 metrics

#47 Alabama

#28 Kansas

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

I've run across anywhereelse's comments all over C-D, she/he has made 3700 comments in < year, since 01-16-2017. Predominantly re: illegals/liberals Who listens to what they scream anymore? I just shake my head at anything the liberals come up with anymore and say to my husband "Another nail in the coffin that is the Democratic Party!"
I lived in AL for 2 years, so am familiar with it. It is a good comparison to me, since I aware of what it is like to live there versus someone who simply pulls up an article on the internet.

Where you are talking about my comments, it makes zero sense to me. Not sure why you "troll" my posts. Find it kind of creepy.

I cannot understand that you would support illegal aliens, but keep in mind they are draining the tax coffers in the state, so maybe that is where some of the money for services for AMERICAN citizens should be coming from. America First, you might have heard that some of us support that.

Here you go, $442+ million to go toward services when we start deporting the illegal aliens out: https://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures.../19/id/696958/ not to mention more than 55,000 jobs for our residents.

And, I am a "she", a dedicated Trump supporter and support the laws of our country. I believe everyone should be held accountable to the laws, including illegal aliens, and everyone should pay their fair share of taxes! Chris Kobach for Governor!

Almost ALL counties have their information online. This is a good place to get links to those that do: http://publicrecords.onlinesearches....ax-Records.htm

Seriously, going to count my posts, just creepy or envious perhaps!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 12-23-2017 at 01:32 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 06:06 PM

767 posts, read 1,321,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
You sure about those tax numbers? Property taxes are simply a percentage of the building and lands value. If a $50K property has higher property taxes then a $80K property in the same county, its most likely an error and not just an adjustment to the appraised value that needs to change. My house is appraised at $120,000 and my property taxes are $1,400 annually here in Shawnee County. It's easy to remember because it's almost exactly $700 every 6 months. We bought this house in 2012 and our taxes have increased about $100 since then, but our tax rate actually decreased by 0.02% over those 5 years, not much, but at least it isn't increasing.

Property tax rates shouldn't vary much unless they are zoned differently for commercial, industrial, residential, or agricultural. We looked at buying a commercial property in Topeka that was appraised at $150,000 and the property tax is $6,000 annually, thats because commercial property tax rates are much higher then residential tax rates. I believe commercial properties also take square feet into account, unlike residential or agricultural properties.

Here you can compare every counties property tax rates fairly easily, no promises it's 100% accurate, but Shawnee County is pretty close. According to the calculator Geary County has a lower property tax rate then Shawnee County.
https://smartasset.com/taxes/kansas-...tax-calculator

Missouri's average property tax rate is right around 1% whereas Kansas's average property tax rate is 1.40%, so it is lower, but Missouri is still in the bottom half of states. Oklahoma is 0.88% Nebraska is 1.85%, Texas 1.9%, and Colorado is 0.60%

We receive via the mail a report on property taxes every year. Most property taxes go to schools (not typically universities), public libraries, regional airports, roads, etc.

The state of Kansas actually has a really good website and almost everything is on there you can think of. It's very transparent and you can go to the Department of Revenue, search your county, and find where the money goes.
And might I add that it shows in the states that pay less taxes than us in some categories. I was reading an article earlier on how CDOT is far worse off than KDOT, and they don't have a Brownback gutting their budget every few months. There were also articles on how Denver and Auroras public school districts are filled with 40-60 year old decaying buildings and how there's no money to fix them because no one in the state wants to raise taxes for anything ever.

Old 12-26-2017, 06:56 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Talking to relatives NOT NEAR Chicago but still in IL this Christmas and property taxes are about double and a bit more of what I'm paying in Lenexa.

No doubt caused by the states financial problems causing the local gov. to rely on citizen taxation to close the gap.

Ouch. That's going to massacre the housing market in the state over the years.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:42 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by empires228 View Post
And might I add that it shows in the states that pay less taxes than us in some categories. I was reading an article earlier on how CDOT is far worse off than KDOT, and they don't have a Brownback gutting their budget every few months. There were also articles on how Denver and Auroras public school districts are filled with 40-60 year old decaying buildings and how there's no money to fix them because no one in the state wants to raise taxes for anything ever.
My brother lives in Aurora and they have a nice school, it’s only a few years old, 10 at most. But, I don’t really know anything about the school district, it’s a multi language international school, that’s all I know, don’t even know what grade ranges they have. But their advantage (or disadvantage depending on how one looks at it) is that their homes are much more valuable then a typical Kansas home. My brothers house in Aurora is just under $300k, which is under the average price range. When home prices are that high, the property tax rate can be a little lower. That said, I do remember the streets are in rather bad repair.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:17 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My brother lives in Aurora and they have a nice school, it’s only a few years old, 10 at most. But, I don’t really know anything about the school district, it’s a multi language international school, that’s all I know, don’t even know what grade ranges they have. But their advantage (or disadvantage depending on how one looks at it) is that their homes are much more valuable then a typical Kansas home. My brothers house in Aurora is just under $300k, which is under the average price range. When home prices are that high, the property tax rate can be a little lower. That said, I do remember the streets are in rather bad repair.
There are many good schools around there, including the state-wide magnet school IMSA.

Their property taxes are going to be *roughly* around 9k which is about double that of mine (my house is worth 300k or a bit more)

The property tax rates are NOT lower in IL, they're like #2 in the country on average due to fiscal mismanagement that has left the state in dire straights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas