Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:29 AM

374 posts, read 552,876 times

Advertisements

Kansas controlled burns to blame for poor air quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTr1vz350Aw

YEP, there's lots of news re; Omaha's air quality suffering from KS controlled burns. But I read nothing about where those KS burns are . . . . we don't have the usuall signs of controlled burning here in Manhattan.

Fire Weather Planning Forecast
National Weather Service Topeka KS
626 AM CDT Thu Apr 12 2018

.DISCUSSION...

Key takeaway points from the fire weather forecast today is the
wind, and that it will not be diminishing in the overnight hours
tonight. Daytime speeds are generally in the 10-25 mph range north
to south, with gusts rising to the 25-35 mph range north to south by
late afternoon and into the evening hours. An incoming system boosts
these speeds a bit more overnight. Moisture is also increasing ahead
of this system and brings minimum RH values up into the 30-45% range
west to east, which makes for very high fire danger today for much
of the forecast area.

Winds continue into Friday, then take a strong shift to the
northwest Friday night into Saturday. Although rain chances increase
and temperatures drop considerably, not all areas will receive
wetting rain from this system. After the cool weekend, warm
temperatures return next week.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product...S&issuedby=TOP

Kansas Flint Hills Smoke Management

Seems like there should be a "live" map of active fires . . . current winds & relative humidity trends don't favor controlled burning; but as for uncontrolled . . .

Brush fire destroys home north of Manhattan

A member of a rural fire dept was driving past this March 3rd fire @ the time it started under the "brush hog" (wasn't cutting hay, but rather "weeds"). Before the firefighter could turn around & assist, the wind had already spread the fire out of control & headed toward neighbor's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 05:47 PM

396 posts, read 991,033 times
If Nebraska and points northward could keep their frigid temperatures where they belong that'd be great. Are we ever going to get to enjoy spring...?

Sorry if you have bad asthma, honestly, but this just seems silly to me.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:28 AM

77,734 posts, read 59,858,282 times
I should move near Wrigley Field and complain about the traffic and noise on days with games.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:23 AM

27,539 posts, read 15,948,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
If Nebraska and points northward could keep their frigid temperatures where they belong that'd be great. Are we ever going to get to enjoy spring...?

Sorry if you have bad asthma, honestly, but this just seems silly to me.
What’s silly, that man is burning millions of acres or man is irritated by smoke? I don’t recall the air getting so bad for so long. Must be burning more these days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I should move near Wrigley Field and complain about the traffic and noise on days with games.
This seems to be a new phenomenon. Don’t be silly

Old 04-15-2018, 05:04 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,863,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What’s silly, that man is burning millions of acres or man is irritated by smoke? I don’t recall the air getting so bad for so long. Must be burning more these days?

This seems to be a new phenomenon. Don’t be silly
Again, only about 200K acres have burned this year, last year it was 2+ million acres. The plains have burned naturally for thousands of years, when settlers came into the area, they started controlled burns right away, well over 100 years ago. Out farther west they have huge wildfires every year that can end up destroying towns, homes, businesses, etc. There are two main reasons to continue the controlled burns, first for conservation and to keep invasive species at bay, and second so wildfires don’t do damage to buildings and towns. These fires are meant to happen naturally, but it’s in everyone’s interest not to allow massive uncontrollable wildfires.

That’s why nothing gets has been done about it, because the alternative to controlled burns is uncontrollable burns.

I absolutely believe the air quality should be measured and live maps of the fires reported, but there isn’t any way to stop this from happening.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Again, only about 200K acres have burned this year, last year it was 2+ million acres. The plains have burned naturally for thousands of years, when settlers came into the area, they started controlled burns right away, well over 100 years ago. Out farther west they have huge wildfires every year that can end up destroying towns, homes, businesses, etc. There are two main reasons to continue the controlled burns, first for conservation and to keep invasive species at bay, and second so wildfires don’t do damage to buildings and towns. These fires are meant to happen naturally, but it’s in everyone’s interest not to allow massive uncontrollable wildfires.

That’s why nothing gets has been done about it, because the alternative to controlled burns is uncontrollable burns.

I absolutely believe the air quality should be measured and live maps of the fires reported, but there isn’t any way to stop this from happening.
Again, I just don’t remember it getting so hazy and smoky up until just a few years ago

Old 04-16-2018, 12:41 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,863,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Again, I just don’t remember it getting so hazy and smoky up until just a few years ago
Maybe your memory is getting hazy.

I’m sure different areas are effected different amounts each year depending on wind and weather. I remember the opposite way, the last few years have seen hardly any bad days here. But, I remember as a child it would get incredibly smoky.

As we age, we probably get more sensitive to the smoke as well. My allergies continue to get worse and worse for example. I didn’t have any allergies until my late 20’s, now in my early 30’s and it can get quite bad during the summer especially.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Maybe your memory is getting hazy.

I’m sure different areas are effected different amounts each year depending on wind and weather. I remember the opposite way, the last few years have seen hardly any bad days here. But, I remember as a child it would get incredibly smoky.

As we age, we probably get more sensitive to the smoke as well. My allergies continue to get worse and worse for example. I didn’t have any allergies until my late 20’s, now in my early 30’s and it can get quite bad during the summer especially.
I was thinking along those lines

Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 AM

396 posts, read 991,033 times
Sorry for being snarky, you caught me on a bad day.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer88 View Post
Sorry for being snarky, you caught me on a bad day.
That was hardly snarky. Well, maybe by midwestern standards. We got plenty of white stuff and cold to send your way if ya don’t settle down though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas