U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 10:22 AM

317 posts, read 281,386 times

Advertisements

Will be driving cross country delivering car from Maryland to Northern California (June). Route has already been planned for stops in Roanoke, VA, Asheville, NC, Nashville and Memphis, TN", then on to Fort Smith, Arkansas. What is best route from Fort Smith to Denver - via Oklahoma City and Amarillo; via northern Oklahoma (possible stop in Guymon), or cut up through Tulsa and stay night in Salina, KS and then west on I70

I plan to take two days and want a reasonably scenic but not too slow route.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 12:32 PM

10,960 posts, read 11,092,903 times
I would do the Ft Smith-Tulsa-Salina route. Most of the moderately larger cities north of Wichita have pretty good amenities. You could easily make to Hays on the first leg of the trip. There is mostly just rolling hills out there.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,061,610 times
I would probably go west through Wichita and through Dodge City, Garden City and Pueblo and then north into Denver. It will be a little more interesting and broken up more by the towns. I would stay in Dodge City, or Lamar.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 AM

8,881 posts, read 13,274,685 times
I've done the cross country trip once and one random place in Kansas that I really enjoyed was Lake Wilson outside of Junction City, beautiful blue water in the middle of the hills.

Also there is a spot outside of Oakley with a statue commemorating the spot where Buffalo Bill got his nickname during a historic hunt. There was also a prairie dog farm in Oakley, not sure if its still there that had a collection of cool animals.

I did the drive years ago from Baltimore to Los Angeles and back on different routes.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:33 AM

758 posts, read 1,023,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I would probably go west through Wichita and through Dodge City, Garden City and Pueblo and then north into Denver. It will be a little more interesting and broken up more by the towns. I would stay in Dodge City, or Lamar.
I second this. Much more scenic than I-70 and offers interesting stops at The Big Well, Wichita Old Cow Town, Dodge City, Sandsage Bison Range Wildlife Area Buffalo Herd in Garden City, and then you can easily get up to Denver either by taking 50 to Pueblo then up or cutting up from I-70 from Garden City on US 83 or up to Limon from Lamar, CO.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:42 AM

10,479 posts, read 7,736,215 times
I'd think Dodge City would be worth a couple hours if you haven't been there before. Probably the most famous city in the west during the last half of the 19th century.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 AM

26 posts, read 41,516 times
I would skip the Dodge City route and and go from Salina. You can stop in Lindsborg , a Swedish with 4-5 art galleries, boutiques a beautiful Inn (recently renovated) . As the New York Times said last year when it featured Central Kansas for a weekend trip, “you can skip Wichita and just stay in Lindsborg.”
Next go to Abilene, The Eisenhower Presidential Library and more Western his than Dodge City. Hays , KS is home to the Sternberg Museum Of Natural History. Ft Hays is where Custer was and is well preserved.
Monument Rocks, chalk pyramids, Smoky Valley Ranch( a A Nature Conservancy Location, just beautiful.
Fort Wallace, far western Kansas and south of i70. Had done a tremendous job preserving and presenting its western heritage. They have events all the time with historians from all over the US.

Dodge City has done a tremendously poor job preserving and presenting its western history. Their is nothing left that is original. Tombstone, AZ is much better. Guymon is a dump, to be blunt.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:02 PM

10,960 posts, read 11,092,903 times
Kansas takes a while to cross east to west. I would take the fastest route and take in what ever sights are along that route.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:16 PM

7,239 posts, read 6,856,091 times
It depends on how much time the OP has ta blow. I'd just bop across Highway 70 if time was of the essence. Stop at interesting Castle Rock, 20 miles south of Quinter, if you need a break from the monotony of Highway 70. I'll say this, Highway 70 cruises nice. You'll make really good time on that highway.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:48 AM

293 posts, read 234,827 times
Default Driving across Kansas: A Guide to I-70

In the OP's scenario, I-70 is the way to go. When getting thru KS is the goal, I can't rec any 2-lane highway route.

@elkotronics metioned Castle Rock, a good idea. Perhaps Garden of Eden - Lucas, Kansas IF a longer break is desired.

Ted Cable, former KSU Natural Resource Mgmt prof has a guide to I-70 (gave my wife a copy, but haven't read it myself).

Driving across Kansas: A Guide to I-70 by Ted Cable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or