U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2008, 06:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,484,211 times

Advertisements

I am planning to visit the Eisenhoswer grounds in Abilene in June and possibly the Kansas University campus if I have time.

I was wondering how much time I should plan for the Eisenhower grounds and whether you recommend a visit there. He is one of my favorite presidents, even though he was way before my time.

Is KU good to tour during the summer? I was there five yeras ago to visit a person who graduated from my college and was attending grad school there. I thought that the city was neat and I am a big Jayhawks fan (very happy to see them win it all this year).
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 PM

55 posts, read 205,171 times
I dont know anything about the Eisenhower Center but can tell you that KU can be a great place to visit during the summer since there are a few museums, art and natural history. The Kansas Union should be open to the public as well as Allen Fieldhouse and Booth Hall of Athletics, which is an impressive display of KU sports history, including basketball. Its also air conditioned, which is a plus in Kansas in the middle of the summer. Its a big school, so the campus doesnt totally shut down in the summer, but I must say that the fall is the best time of year to visit KU's campus, in my opinion. Enjoy.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:38 PM

2005hawk, thank you for your insight. I am looking forward to visiting Kansas in a few weeks and hopefully the weather will be nice and NO tornadoes. I will have to see Allen Fieldhouse and Kansas Union. Of course, I will have to sport the Jayhawks garb.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:50 PM

15,399 posts, read 21,482,632 times
Yes, most of the buildings are on "Jayhawk Boulevard" which runs right through the middle of campus. I also would recommend checking out the old Watson Library and Potter Lake and surrounding park-like area. Another highlight is Allen Fieldhouse obviously as well as Memorial Football Stadium.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:31 AM

378 posts, read 1,098,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005hawk View Post
I dont know anything about the Eisenhower Center but can tell you that KU can be a great place to visit during the summer since there are a few museums, art and natural history.
Lawrence is very boring in the summer, in my opinion. It seems like a ghost town when all of the college kids go home.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM

Well, I plan to spend a couple hours in Lawrence and will focus at seeing Allen Fieldhouse and Kansas Union. I think that the Eisenhower Library in Abilene will be interesting. Both would be good stops heading from Colorado Springs to Omaha and then back to Sioux Falls, SD area.

Thanks for the comments.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:04 PM

15,399 posts, read 21,482,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Well, I plan to spend a couple hours in Lawrence and will focus at seeing Allen Fieldhouse and Kansas Union. I think that the Eisenhower Library in Abilene will be interesting. Both would be good stops heading from Colorado Springs to Omaha and then back to Sioux Falls, SD area.

Thanks for the comments.
Make sure to also check out the Konza Prairie Preserve near Manhattan, KS if you have a little extra time. It is a large stretch of prairie that has never been plowed, and is incredible. Another good area is Tallgrass Prairie Preserve in Chase County KS right off I-35 SW of Emporia. They give guided tours, and the vistas in that part of the Flint Hills are incredible.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:32 PM

268 posts, read 528,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
... the vistas in that part of the Flint Hills are incredible.

Ditto. I used to go to a summer camp, called Camp Wood YMCA, in the Flint Hills. Absolutely beautiful.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:36 PM

I have seen a small part of the Flint Hills along I-35 between El Dorado and Emporia and thought that they were neat. They look similar to the hills west of the Missouri River in South Dakota but with a little more character. I am considering a visit to Konza prairie. The grasslands have a beauty of their own. They are a diamond in the rough, which has its good points.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM

37,288 posts, read 1,219,772 times
I never saw a response to the OP's question. How long should someone allow to see the Eisenhower library? I'd like to visit and would enjoy hearing from someone who has been there. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas