Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 05:01 PM

21 posts, read 132,534 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me anything about Garden City. For example housing/apartment markets, where to stay away from (bad areas), where to go (good areas), what are some fun things to do, etc. I am visiting at the end of the month and was wondering if anybody have any suggestions on where to go and what to do when I am there.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 06:55 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
There's a Zoo in Garden - I believe it is still free. It's actually nice. You can walk through or Drive through it.

That's all I can think of - that's fun.

Here's another discussion about Garden.

Moving to Garden City

Old 05-21-2009, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,863 times
I actually just got back from Garden City yesterday. I was checking it out because I just got a job there. There is also a really nice public pool. It is very hard to find houses/apartments to rent or buy. I would suggest taking whatever you can find (in a good area) and wait for something better to open up if you don't like where you are at. I thought the people were very friendly and helpful. I read some of the other blogs before I left and was very worried about moving out there because of all the negative things that were said. After seeing it myself I am much more comfortable with moving out there.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:21 PM

110 posts, read 270,820 times
There aren't really "bad" areas, but some places you don't want to start too much trouble in are the Southwest part of town (pretty much west of Taylor and south of Kansas) and the Eastside trailer park areas (IBP, East Garden Village, Towns Riverview, along with others). It isn't like you're going to get killed or anything, but just don't start stuff with anybody in those regions. Other than that, GC is a great place to live and work and is very safe!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 PM

767 posts, read 1,321,419 times
Pretty much just stay out of the trailer parks, east of Taylor, south of the college, around the Zoo (the zoo is very nice though), and east of Walmart and you will be fine.

Garden City is pretty good at attracting new buisnesses so living here isn't as bad as one might think. Plus you are 4 hours from 3 major city's, Pueblo Co, Amarillo Tx, and Wichita Ks.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:16 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
^
Garden City has built much of its economic development platform on forced development. The irrigation derived agriculture to support the massive feedlots, packing houses, and slaughterhouses will only hold up for so long before the area becomes a desert. It is only because of this forced growth that the population has grown over the past few decades. If the mechanisms didn't exist hardly anyone would want to live out there.
I wouldn't call Pueblo, Amarillo, or Wichita major cities. Those would be small cities.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:32 PM

378 posts, read 1,620,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I wouldn't call Pueblo, Amarillo, or Wichita major cities. Those would be small cities.
Not to people living in Garden City. It's all relative.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 PM

767 posts, read 1,321,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
Not to people living in Garden City. It's all relative.
The truth. Most people I know haven't ever been out of the state or to anywhere larger because of traffic or crime or the money it takes to stay there. I still think of them as major because Ive been to those places more so then I have been to Houstin, Amarillo, Denver, Colorado Springs, Phoenix, Kansas City, Chicago, Pittsburgh, or that horrible experience we had in Detriot when our flight was delayed.

Eventually we will run out of water, every one can see that, but then again its going to happen to Pheonix, California, Denver, ect. before it happens to us.

And then there's the people from Lakin, Sublette, Syracuse, or Scott City ect... who hardly ever go to town and view it as the place to go because they don't really know anywhere else. (Leoti kids think Golden Corral is Classy lol) I see more people from small towns around Liberal in Garden City and Dodge City then I see in Liberal.

Last edited by empires228; 03-30-2010 at 03:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas