U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 09:30 AM

6,564 posts, read 12,916,214 times

Advertisements

One notion that liberals (I don't qualify) might consider is the many areas in Kansas with proximity to Amish or Mennonite communities. While the Mennonites are usually more modern in ag practices, it's a safe bet that both groups treat the land with less chemistry than your typical corporate agribusiness. If you buy your products locally you will have a great chance of getting high quality, fresh food with minimal abuse of the land.

Reno County (around Hutch) is a strong location for Amish. I grew up around them. I know that Galva is a significant Mennonite community, and I still wish it was easier to get Iron Horse BBQ. None of the BBQ sauce I can easily get in Washington holds a candle to our stuff back home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:54 AM

378 posts, read 1,517,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Reno County (around Hutch) is a strong location for Amish. I grew up around them. I know that Galva is a significant Mennonite community, and I still wish it was easier to get Iron Horse BBQ. None of the BBQ sauce I can easily get in Washington holds a candle to our stuff back home.
Do you remember Carriage Crossing in Yoder? MMMmmm... Yum.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
Do you remember Carriage Crossing in Yoder? MMMmmm... Yum.
No one who has ever enjoyed breakfast at the Carriage Crossing is likely to forget it soon. If you have to gain weight that's the correct way to enjoy it. There's really no substitute for the experience. My rule: when you start to see the road signs with the buggy on them, drool. Continue to salivate until you find a local restaurant.

Now I'm homesick...

Another great thing to do is to hit the Hays House in Council Grove for Flint Hills beef. Of course, I'm influenced by being the product of two parents both raised in Chase County. I'd go home, but I'm married to an Alaskan who hates all bugs, and I am not sure I could ever drag my wife back when she is trying just as hard to haul me up to Anchorage. When we visit Kansas, all it takes is a wood-bee or a big garden spider to cause much wifely consternation--to say nothing of finding a tick or a voracious, deadly, wife-eating kingsnake. (My uncle and I actually saved two of those one time from certain death. Out there, anything that eats a lot of varmints is your friend.)

Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM

378 posts, read 1,517,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Another great thing to do is to hit the Hays House in Council Grove for Flint Hills beef. Of course, I'm influenced by being the product of two parents both raised in Chase County. I'd go home, but I'm married to an Alaskan who hates all bugs, and I am not sure I could ever drag my wife back when she is trying just as hard to haul me up to Anchorage. When we visit Kansas, all it takes is a wood-bee or a big garden spider to cause much wifely consternation--to say nothing of finding a tick or a voracious, deadly, wife-eating kingsnake. (My uncle and I actually saved two of those one time from certain death. Out there, anything that eats a lot of varmints is your friend.)
The entire Flint Hills area is absolutely beautiful. My family owned a lake house in Eureka for a time and driving out around that entire area was always a treat. Those Flint Hills are a hidden treasure, and it's unfortunate that most people picture Kansas as being anything but the Flint Hills.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
The entire Flint Hills area is absolutely beautiful. My family owned a lake house in Eureka for a time and driving out around that entire area was always a treat. Those Flint Hills are a hidden treasure, and it's unfortunate that most people picture Kansas as being anything but the Flint Hills.
The Flint Hills (at least the Chase part) have an odd divide. About half of the folks see in tourism and prairie parks the certain approach of eminent domain, confiscated land, and generally having government in their faces. The other half says, "We're dying on the vine here and we've got to get an economy somehow." Friendships sundered over the years on the topic. Trying to get my grandfather to budge on that would have been as futile as someone trying to get my father to root for Oklahoma.

If you're familiar with the Z-Bar, our family's ranch is just east of there on Peyton Creek. Great country with enough timber in the creek areas to ensure wildlife of all kinds. Never really know what you might see. Plus, the Flint Hills defeats not merely the flat Kansas picture, but the all-wheat picture, because it's cowboy country from Cassoday at least to Council Grove and probably farther. (I try explaining milo to people here. No luck.)

Old 08-21-2008, 01:04 PM

57,367 posts, read 45,393,135 times
Why aren't you guys referring to Kansas City Kansas as liberal? Just seems odd that you are focusing in on only Lawrence.

(Or are we only talking about white\volvo driving\wine tasting\college liberalism?)

Old 08-22-2008, 05:11 AM

19 posts, read 61,151 times
i bought a piece pf property in southeasern kansas where i plan to move... but during my last trip there in june2008 i spent a few days in the flint hills.. and thought it was one of those great hidden tresures... i think knasas has alot to offer and people dont percieve it in the right light.. any comments on the book.. by frank entitled whats the matter with kansas?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:47 AM

57,367 posts, read 45,393,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestone View Post
i bought a piece pf property in southeasern kansas where i plan to move... but during my last trip there in june2008 i spent a few days in the flint hills.. and thought it was one of those great hidden tresures... i think knasas has alot to offer and people dont percieve it in the right light.. any comments on the book.. by frank entitled whats the matter with kansas?
I moved here from Chicago 8 years ago and people in Kansas shouldn't worry about what others think so much. Kansas is generally better than most of the residents realize and a lot of people from outside Kansas have such distorted views of the place it is almost sad.

I'm happy here and have a great quality of life. Most of my relatives that have visited are in awe of the school quality, low cost of living, low traffic...everything is relative.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,986 times
Lawrence is an ideal city for anyone, because of the constant emphasis to be politically correct in all civic matters, and the continued emphasis on community safety and harmony.

Some folks would be well-advised to live elsewhere as the city is determined to fight the dangerous state law allowing concealed weapons to be carried amongst the public.

Also hate speech is carefully monitored. Keep your religious feelings out of public areas and within the walls of a church please.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:57 PM

396 posts, read 885,283 times
"Also hate speech is carefully monitored"..."Keep your religious feelings out of public areas and within the walls of a church please." By this way of thinking, wouldn't that statement be considered hate speech? This is America where we have certain freedoms, one of those is freedom of speech and another is freedom of religion. You have the right to feel this way just like others have the right to have their own opinions. Hate is wrong no matter what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas