U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 07:01 PM
Status: "Enforce immigration law and save our country!" (set 16 days ago)

22,973 posts, read 19,250,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The article states that the woman was brought to a hospital in KC, but the accident occurred near Uniontown, which is far away from KC. That is a long drive to a hospital. Had it been life threatening, will not have worked out.

I knew I should have stayed for longer, and gone to Dodge City.
Rural hospitals often do not have the facilities that KC or even Topeka have. Patients are generally stabilized locally and then moved by ambulance or helicopter to a facility with the needed medical knowledge and equipment. I have been to Uniontown, and it has a bank and, well, that is about it. Fort Scott, in the same county, has some facilities, but some needing a hospital would end up in Pittsburg, KS, if the injuries were not severe. Ending up in KC means serious medical needs.

Quote:
Is there any place to allow bison or cattle to stampede? Do cattle stampede?
You need to update your reference material. One sees a few cattle here and there throughout the Flinthills region. The land is not all that fertile, and drought is a continuing issue which really drives up the cost of keeping enough to stampede.

A few years ago, Tyson shipped all of the slaughtering out to the west where the cattle are helping to deplete the aquifer. Commercial feed lots are nothing to see if you care about animals.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 09:23 PM

373 posts, read 454,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
A few years ago, Tyson shipped all of the slaughtering out to the west where the cattle are helping to deplete the aquifer. Commercial feed lots are nothing to see if you care about animals.
Dinah Shore (See the USA in Your Chevrolet) was partial owner of the Blackjack Cattle Company, just N of Yates Center on 75. As a youth, the juxtaposition of the two images bordered on the bizarre.

Recently, PBS had a special on Edible Insects. I believe it stated that it takes a cow 2,000 gal of water to produce 1 lb. of protein; crickets, 1 gal.

https://www.pbs.org/video/edible-insects-qlmtas/

@ KSU's Open House (Family Day), pre-pandemic, the Entomology Dept. demoed edible insects. I believe only the earliest birds scored the yummy crispy crickets.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:18 AM

15,733 posts, read 12,597,437 times
What about pigs? Where are those?

Do KS have any chickens, lambs, goats, etc etc?

Old 11-30-2021, 10:17 AM

31,601 posts, read 32,789,840 times
That question sounds so ghetto. Do you want to know if they have many or large pig farms, etc.?

Old 11-30-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That question sounds so ghetto. Do you want to know if they have many or large pig farms, etc.?
Yes and where.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:51 PM

5,876 posts, read 3,980,588 times
Go to Iowa if you want to smell pigs. I have relatives with an enormous hog operation in one of the "top ten counties" mentioned here...

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publicatio...ming/index.php

Old 12-02-2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Go to Iowa if you want to smell pigs. I have relatives with an enormous hog operation in one of the "top ten counties" mentioned here...

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publicatio...ming/index.php
Why is it I never hear of a feral hog problem in Iowa, or the Midwest, or anywhere it gets cold? I also never hear about hog problems in Europe and Asia which is where the said hogs are originally from. Like China has a lot of pork, but you never hear about a feral hog issue in China.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:26 AM

5,876 posts, read 3,980,588 times
Quote:
Why is it I never hear of a feral hog problem in Iowa, or the Midwest, or anywhere it gets cold?
I don't know anything about feral pigs.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:51 PM

47,023 posts, read 42,120,450 times
Many small farms have a combination of chickens, cattle and hogs. My ranch/farm is right on the Kansas/Co/Nebraska borders.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:56 PM

71,634 posts, read 53,665,872 times
Quote:
Where are all the cattle?

I recently took a road trip from NYC to Kansas last week. I only got around the Flint Hills area, and up to Lincoln Neb. Eventually south to Emporia. I was expecting to see more cattle. I was hoping to see feed lots with hundreds of cattle. I was on local routes too and not just the interstates.

I also noticed Kansas has more trees than I expected from a prairie. Well my preconceptions about prairies only comes from media which is why I wanted to see in person.

There is also a lot of these large plots of land with a single family house on it all by itself. There is nothing else though, no barn, or grain silo. Does anyone live and utilitize that farmland? Or is it just trophy properties?

Also the places I see chopped corn stalks but I did not see grain silos, or many of them. Where do they all get stored? The plots that did have cows on, did not have barns, or housing for them. I was told by some locals that they are moved this time of the year as it is getting cold.

Do they move them to warming ranches in the south like Texas? How they get moved? Do they have to close off the highways if the cows are crossing them?
I just drove across I-70 this week and saw literally thousands and thousands of cattle as well as hundreds of massive grain silos.

You clearly missed the gather points or were just not paying close attention on a long drive. They do not close highways. They gather them and ship them by rail or truck but keep in mind that mostly they have processing facilities close by as it costs money to move cows etc.

You have to realize that many of those grazing farms are MASSIVE and may not even be owned by the people in those houses (anymore).

The days of "Bonanza" are long past. People living in my grandparents farm house do not own any of the surrounding farm land like in days past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas