U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM

10 posts, read 65,713 times

Advertisements

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 28,633 times
Default house

For dazncnfzd-- I just moved from Ft Riley. We have a house for sale in a great private location just outside the Ogden gate. Minutes from manhattan and the houses up on the hill are in a newer super quiet area. 501 Clydesdale Dr, Ogden. 3bed/2bath 1688sq ft 152,000.00 Realtor is [url=http://www.helpusellmanhattan.com/]Manhattan KS Homes for sale and real estate in surrounding areas.[/url]# Do some checking, the schools are small and sought after by a lot of parents. I would drive to post for PT in 8 minutes to 1-28 Infantry on custer hill. JC is smaller and quieter Manhattan is bigger and has more shopping, college etc... also much higher property taxes and special taxes. I loved the spot where we were at. Close to post, taxes are lowest in area, quiet mostly DA civillians and military live up there. Central to everything but not in the middle out any of it. Our kids grown and gone but new people who drove their kids to the school there (elementry) If interested let me know

Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 AM

I have a house for sale in Ogden Ks, most people do not even know the horse street area is there, up on the hill behind the small town is a new sub division. Super quiet, lowest of the special taxes in the area, 8 minutes to get up on custer hill on base. 12 minutes to theater, target in manhattan, 10 min to interstate. Very sought after elementry school. House is 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath on 501 Clydesdale. Special for Military.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Default JC or Manhattan

Well there are some good comments. Both cities have their own drawbacks, Manhattan will probably be the most popular because more people live there but JC is a great town. I'll agree having lived there a total of 6 years in two separate PCSs with some of most of the postings. Both towns have low income and high transient areas. Manhattan is a more popular place because it has more shopping but I also know it has more crime and believe it's due to a huge amount of young adult population and the unfortunte things that sometimes go with it. My church was in Manhattan and in a great neighborhood but I would not live there even with my kids grown and gone. I like the smaller, just enough city. Junction City is not a junk town. I even considered buying a house there but found what I wanted in both towns buy not living in either of them. The High School in JC is better, fantastic football program, lower taxes, close to milford lake. I chose an out of the way neighborhood just up behind the hill of Ogden. Nothing really in Ogden but then again if I needed anything I could not find at the Casey's then I went to either town to get it then left. You just got to find what fits both can be good and both have their drawbacks. If my kids were highschoolers I would have them go to the JC High School, I would still live in Ogden.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 9,306 times
I am 22 years of age and I have lived in Junction City since i was 4yrs old. We moved down here by way of military as well just like most ppl and my parents were told the same thing. "Junction City is this Junction City is that..."but my parents chose to move to JC anyways. The stories that you hear about Junction City with the prostitutes and drugs and all this and that is true...50 OR 60 SOMETHING YEARS AGO!!! It's nothing like that now at all. Growing up in Junction City the worst thing i would have to say about it is that it's boring. People from Manhattan don't know anything about Junction City, they only know what they hear, but we all know that you can't believe everything you hear. I don't know a lot about manhattan, but there is more to do up there than JC. It's a college town so there are a lot of young wild college students. I of course don't mind going up there because I am a college student myself. Junction City probably has the same amount of crime as Manhattan does if not less. DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE!!! Manhattan might not be that bad, but it's not better than Junction City in any way in my opinion. JC and Manhattan have been known to be rivals, so of course anyone from Manhattan is going to talk down on JC and vise versa, but I would recommend you live in JC hands down.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:22 PM

16 posts, read 73,788 times
Manhattan!!! Hands down!!! JC is a dump

Old 01-18-2009, 09:47 PM

32 posts, read 135,549 times
Default Jc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daznconfzd View Post
We will be moving to KS in Sept. My hubby is in the army & we have one child in the 9th grade. I would like some feedback as to which town is better....Junction City or Manhattan

Thanks
Junction City and Manhattan are almost the same crime wise, of course J.C. is smaller so less crime, the traffic coming from Manhattan to Fort Riley is a pain. I live extremely close to JC High School, if you step out my front door and look right you can see the school. My street is very quiet, the population is small so there's no real big city type crime. There's more crimes commited on post than off really. Manhatan however has quite a bit of rapes, because of the college...Junction City is starting to grow because the base is expected to grow almost double in population, home values went up and theres a lot of new housing. They just finished an IHOP that opens next month. Cabellas and Carrabas were looking for land in the area too. I'm a city boy, but I don't mind it here, haven't had any problems.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:50 PM

32 posts, read 135,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerbob View Post
It depends on who you are, where you came from, your educational level, and what you want for your 9th grader.
I would choose Manhattan, hands down. JC is trash, and it attracts more trash in a self-propagating cycle. Manhattan is middle class, even upper class, and it spills over into everything in the society there. Schools, speech of the people, even the postal service is better and more reliable. I just left the area after over 2 years there, and could not believe the difference between the two towns.
Truthfully, I'm glad to be out of Kansas. Never again. The whole state is like the fifties elsewhere. The people are so backward they even voted down a wind farm for clean energy, saying it would ruin the scenery!! What scenery?? I drive across KS at night, cause there's nothing to see anyway!! It is definitely "fly-over" country. Backward.

Actually Junction City has better schools, tried and proven period.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 17,659 times
Omg!! Junction city is trash, don't do it to yourself!! MOve to Manhattan!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM

3 posts, read 17,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dredio05 View Post
Junction City and Manhattan are almost the same crime wise, of course J.C. is smaller so less crime, the traffic coming from Manhattan to Fort Riley is a pain. I live extremely close to JC High School, if you step out my front door and look right you can see the school. My street is very quiet, the population is small so there's no real big city type crime. There's more crimes commited on post than off really. Manhatan however has quite a bit of rapes, because of the college...Junction City is starting to grow because the base is expected to grow almost double in population, home values went up and theres a lot of new housing. They just finished an IHOP that opens next month. Cabellas and Carrabas were looking for land in the area too. I'm a city boy, but I don't mind it here, haven't had any problems.
You must never get out. My roomate from JC lives with me now and goes to Kstate and is so glad to finally be out of Junction city. They have shootings at the uptown lounge and at Eve's all the time. Don't you remember a few years ago when the sunflower bank got robbed?? I've known multiple people that have been shot at and one that has actually been shot. I don't even go in that town anymore if I don't have to. Especially not at night. Besides all that, Junction city is dirty and ghetto. Who would want to live in a place like that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas