U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 14,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashnny View Post
You must never get out. My roomate from JC lives with me now and goes to Kstate and is so glad to finally be out of Junction city. They have shootings at the uptown lounge and at Eve's all the time. Don't you remember a few years ago when the sunflower bank got robbed?? I've known multiple people that have been shot at and one that has actually been shot. I don't even go in that town anymore if I don't have to. Especially not at night. Besides all that, Junction city is dirty and ghetto. Who would want to live in a place like that??

What do you know about JC? Everything you said is false. I am a 6 year police officer in JC and will tell you that you are full of crap!!!! We had our 3rd true homicid last night. Meaning the 3rd in my 6 years. Shootings at the clubs? What club doesn't get shots fired once in a while? They all do! Manhattan does too! You can't compare the crime rate between the 2 cities. Manhattan is waaaaay worse. Remember that serial rapist? The one who lingered around for nearly 10 years? C'mon don't come on a forumn running your mouth when you have no facts to back it up. JC has come along way since the 80's and 90's. Anyone who has been here will tell you that. Our department is full of young aggressive officers who do their best to keep this place clean.

My hat is off to our men and woman of the US ARMY, but that is alot of our problem in our town. Most of the guys we catch on shots fired calls are Soldiers who have the pistols....Most of the bar fights are young soldiers....
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:25 PM

48 posts, read 311,986 times
I have lived in JC twice once in 2004 and the other time in 2006 and have lived in the area for 6 years. JC is not as bad as people make it out to be. If there was crime I never saw it and never once did I hear a shooting in JC. It has a small town feel even though it is big. It is also close to the Army base. At least in JC you don't have to worry about the crazy college kids throwing a frat party next to your house or waking you up with there loud voices. The police in JC are very professional and take everything seriously. I have never lived in Manhattan but the times I have visited it just feels like a party town. Sorta like New York how the town never sleeps. And this is all coming from a 25 year old who is way past the party stage.

Plus depending on where you live in Manhattan it is a 13-30 minute drive to post. Me and my husband do go to Manhattan every once in a while for the restaurants but we would much rather visit then to live in that town. We live on Fort riley but when we lived in JC it was cool and very laid back. JC is very diverse and maybe that is why it gets a bad rep

Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 PM

5 posts, read 20,526 times
Most of the bar fights etc. from soldiers is probably because they are so irritable from being stuck in a place like this, so rather than banging their head against the wall they get into fights.....
I have lived in the Junction City area off and on since 1990. (The Army always seems to bring us back) Each time we have returned it does seem like JC has been trying to build up. But, the only thing I see them building is banks, hotels and houses that are over priced. The taxes are RIDICULOUS and for what?? There is nothing here!!! Nothing to offer! If it weren't for the military bringing families here no-one in their right mind would decide to come. They can't seem to keep many stores or restaurants. That is the biggest issue, is even if you live in JC, you will spend alot of time in Manhattan if you want any decent stores or any good place to eat. Junction City has a bad reputation and I can understand why. It is trashy. Go to Walmart and just look at the people. Half of them are in their PJ's, hair not brushed and just look dirty. Go to Dillions and your chances of running into some loud mouth hoodlum.. Most of the people who like JC are either from there, or haven't really been out much to see what nice towns actually look like and offer. I don't know why anyone would choose to stay after retirement and raise their family in JC. It has nothing to offer. Dirty stores, dirty restaurants, dirty movie theatre... etc... etc... Anyone trying to decide which is better, JC or Manhattan only needs to take a drive to see....Many families are forced to live in JC over Manhattan only because they can't afford Manhattan. I have heard the saying about JC that "The only good view of JC is in your rear view mirror as you are leaving!".....
JC is a po-dunk town in the middle of nowhere with a ghetto trashy feel to it.....

Old 03-05-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee3475 View Post
It is trashy. Go to Walmart and just look at the people. Half of them are in their PJ's, hair not brushed and just look dirty. Go to Dillions and your chances of running into some loud mouth hoodlum.. Most of the people who like JC are either from there, or haven't really been out much to see what nice towns actually look like and offer. JC is a po-dunk town in the middle of nowhere with a ghetto trashy feel to it.....
Judging people by the way they dress is very superficial, and it lets everyone know what type of person YOU are. Show some class and prove to me that your not as ghetto as the people you describe! If the people in Manhattan are just like you then I would much rather go to JC since I have never seen these people that you speak of. And I have lived here for 6 years!

Old 03-09-2010, 09:16 PM

761 posts, read 1,047,192 times
I had family who lived in Junction City. My Uncle was employed at Fort Riley and their was constant fear that it was going to shut down and the town was going to fall apart so they made sure he was transferred elsewhere.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:31 AM

5 posts, read 20,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavwifeyCarly View Post
Judging people by the way they dress is very superficial, and it lets everyone know what type of person YOU are. Show some class and prove to me that your not as ghetto as the people you describe! If the people in Manhattan are just like you then I would much rather go to JC since I have never seen these people that you speak of. And I have lived here for 6 years!

So, out of all that you can only say that I was being "superficial" about the way people dress?? I don't remember saying anything about the brands of clothing people choose to wear, now that would be superficial! What I said was, I often see people in their dirty PJ's and look like they have not combed their hair and are dirty.

If you have lived in JC for 6 years and have never seen the people I am referring to, then you are either blind or just like them! I realize not everyone in JC is trash, and believe me Manhattan has it's fair share as well. However, my opinion is that Manhattan is far nicer... But, it's just my opinion, everyone has a right to their own.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 10,697 times
I totally agree with the first person. I grew up 30 mins from Junction City. Drugs, Gangs, it is all bad. I have lived in Manhattan and it is very fun and family friendly.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 14,028 times
Ha, some of you guys crack me up. Our theatre may be bad, I don't know, I haven't been there since I was in HS. I am not a movie guy. Restarants? Yeah, it is hard to keep some of them up. There is no doubt. If we had a Division 1 college in our town, we would have the staff to run it and the customers to keep it afloat. But we don't. It's not our fault. Our Wal-Mart? Again, we don't have 35,000 college kids who need jobs like manhattan...

Old 03-30-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee3475 View Post
So, out of all that you can only say that I was being "superficial" about the way people dress?? I don't remember saying anything about the brands of clothing people choose to wear, now that would be superficial! What I said was, I often see people in their dirty PJ's and look like they have not combed their hair and are dirty.

If you have lived in JC for 6 years and have never seen the people I am referring to, then you are either blind or just like them! I realize not everyone in JC is trash, and believe me Manhattan has it's fair share as well. However, my opinion is that Manhattan is far nicer... But, it's just my opinion, everyone has a right to their own.
When I said superficial I was referring to you judging people by the way they dress without knowing the persons true character. Just because someone does not dress nicely or can not AFFORD to dress nicely that does not mean that they are awful people or that JC is a run down place. You can not judge a person by the way they dress, they could turn out to be the nicest people you have ever met in your life.

I probably have never seen people dress this way because its not the 1st thing on my agenda when I look at people. I have seen people dress nice and have the most snotty personality on earth. I grew up poor so maybe that is why I don't judge people by their clothing and welcome everyone with a clean slate whether they are wearing pants with holes in them or nice dress suits. Just because people in JC might not dress as nicely that is not a valid argument on how JC is or why it is not a good place to live. Growing up poor has allowed me to understand poverty and now how it feels to be privileged and not worry about money.

If you had mentioned something along the lines of my car was stolen or my car was broken into several times while being in JC then maybe I would understand but mentioning how people dress it touched a nerve with me since not everyone can afford nice clothing or have the means to take care of themselves. It is a recession and a lot of people are suffering with jobs losses etc.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 24,351 times
Manhattan overall is much nicer than Junction City. As a college town it boasts many shopping, educational, and cultural amenities, and also a vibrant art and music scene. Recreational and outdoor opportunities are also abundant, especially with the Konza Prairie Preserve south of town. CNN has even ranked Manhattan among the top cities to retire young. As a whole it's about like Lawrence (about 80 miles to the east).

I've been to Manhattan a few times and enjoyed it pretty well. However, the only things that could be improved are the city's shopping options. While it already has plenty to offer (Target, Home Depot, Pier 1 Imports, Bed Bath & Beyond, Petco, Best Buy, etc.), as well as a nice mall with a wide variety, there is still some work to be done to improve Manhattan's retail scene. I've been to other college towns with retailers such as Kohl's, Old Navy, Gordman's, Stein Mart, T.J. Maxx, Barnes & Noble, etc. Manhattan doesn't have any of these businesses, weirdly enough. As a college town of nearly 55,000 residents, it would surely be the prime market for such retailers.

But, Manhattan as a whole is a nice place to visit and live, and certainly much more progressive and liberal than Junction City. Its shopping scene could just use some work. Hopefully the Manhattan Chamber of Commerce will take some action on this soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas