U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,556 times

Advertisements

junction city by far hands down is ALOT CALMER than manhattan, and i came from san diego and honestly I HAVE NOT HEARD OF ANY SHOOTINGS at all, and yah junction city has its ghetto parts BUT so does everyother cities in this country, junction city has nice parts as well, my aunt lives in a nice neighborhood out here, and manhattan? IS THE SAME THING just a little bit bigger, walmart ANYWHERE has people wallking around in PJs i know in IL and CA we have people walking around in PJs dont be so hard on junction city its just small, me and my husband have lived here for 2 years, no one bothers us, friendly people here, sometimes my husband and doesnt lock his doors out here and we come back and everything is still there. and the crime rate IS SO LOOW out here READ THE NEWS PAPER. and manhattan costs a lil more AND IS STILL THE SAME AS JUNCTION CITY. we have military here who want to get out and enjoy there free time i believe they deserve it for all they do, and they ARE NOT STUPID to ruin there lives and SHOOT a gun out here. so please if ur reading all these blogs that everyone puts on here i wouldnt go by it and just see it for yourself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:56 AM

46 posts, read 58,358 times
I REALLY enjoyed living in Junction City about 10 years ago. Keep in mind both manhattan and JC suck. I was born there, and my parents moved around the world, and then at age 12 we came back, moved at age 14. Now I'm 24 years old. My sister and school friends could walk down every street in junction city. From what I remember back in 98-99 it was very old school looking, by that I mean old homes. Duplexes, and so on. But who cares? We AREN'T better than each other just based on income levels, get over yourselves, stop bashing people.Modcut-inflamatory I'm not poor, and grew up with money from a military father and european mother. But I couldn't ever place myself above someone in that manner. Who do you people think you are?

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-09-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,349 times
I have lived in JC on and off since the early 80's, I've traveled the world and lived many different places in my life, so I have plenty to compare too. I've spent the past 15yrs in JC and I can tell you that it is truly a nice community compared to other places I've lived. Do we have crime, yes, but so does EVERY other city in the world. Is the crime rate high, absolutely not! This is a safe community regardless of what some others might say. There are plenty of good neighborhoods in JC, so for someone to say that JC as a whole is trash is simply full of ****. I can't tell you how many times I've left my car and home UNLOCKED and never had any issues, I don't think anyone can say that about too many other cities out there, especially when it comes to larger cities. I will admit that the bars, shopping and eating establishments could use some improvement, but that's really the only negative things I would say about JC. So don't believe the myths others say about JC, do your own research and come to your own conclusion, but do get the facts! For those who want to continue to bash JC, I'm sorry your experience was bad, you must have lived in the ghetto, but what did you expect? I've never seen a nice ghetto...

Old 08-23-2010, 07:06 PM

76 posts, read 166,033 times
We lived in White City (about 25 miles south of JC) and worked in JC and Manhattan (Dick Edwards Auto plaza). The small towns are where it is at! White City, Dwight, Herrington, Milford, Wakefield, Chapman, Riley, to name a few. We look back on our 8 years in White City as some of the best years of our lives. Small town living is great for raising kids , K-12 in the same building, less that 15 kids to a grade level. The town revolves around the school, and they roll up the sidewalks on Friday nights for football. We raised a steer, chickens, played at the local dairy, and had fellowship at the local house of worship. Crime was not heard of, and you get to know everyone. Good Luck.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 8,312 times
Welcome to Fort Riley! We retired after 21.5 years from the Army and this was both the first and last duty station for my husband! None the less if possible I would suggest if you are planning on living on post or in JC and you can work it in your budget allow your child to attend the private school on Washington. Its a church school but USD 475 is HORRIBLE. The freshman success academy and high school are overrun with drugs and too many students.
Manhatten has more life to offer but JC is my fav other than the schools. Not sure if this helps or not but Thanks for you and your families service! Carrie

Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 PM

197 posts, read 482,148 times
We live on post and I wasnt impressed with neither Manhattan High or Junction City High, so I enrolled my son in IQ Academy it is Virtual High School through the Manhttan School District. He likes it alot and it offers him more classes than the normal schools do. He is taking Japanese (his choice) as a foreign language.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:19 PM

5 posts, read 20,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavwifeyCarly View Post
When I said superficial I was referring to you judging people by the way they dress without knowing the persons true character. Just because someone does not dress nicely or can not AFFORD to dress nicely that does not mean that they are awful people or that JC is a run down place. You can not judge a person by the way they dress, they could turn out to be the nicest people you have ever met in your life.
If you had mentioned something along the lines of my car was stolen or my car was broken into several times while being in JC then maybe I would understand but mentioning how people dress it touched a nerve with me since not everyone can afford nice clothing or have the means to take care of themselves. It is a recession and a lot of people are suffering with jobs losses etc.

What part of I wasn't judging people by the way they dress do you not understand? I don't care what they chose to wear, but when half their ass crack is hanging out, they havent combed their hair etc. that has nothing to do with having money or not. I have known many people who don't have lots of money, but don't have to go into public places being obnoxious and foul mouthed. Sorry if I don't feel sorry standing in line behind a woman with her 6 kids by different dad's with her food stamps and then seeing her buy a pack of ciggs and beer.
You were poor growing up? Well guess what, so was I! We were on welfare etc. I also remember a time when we had no money for the laundry mat or detergent so I washed clothes in the bathtub with dish soap or shampoo. But i did what i could to be clean. Just because you don't have a lot of money doesn't mean you are or have to be trashy! There are many people with money who are just as trashy! So excuse me for "touching a nerve with you"....

Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
hello everyone,
im german and married to a soldier,we have a 5 year old daughter and next year we will move to fort riley.
i was reading all the comments in here...its really hard to make a decision...
but the comments are 2-5 years old,and i was just wondering if something changed in both towns?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:30 PM

16 posts, read 38,319 times
Hi Deliah0711,

My wife is German as well, and we will be moving to Riley in the next couple of weeks. I posted an updated forum on this topic, so just search for this: Which town is the best choice for a military family? JC vs Manhattan (2).

Hope this helps

Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 PM

6 posts, read 10,558 times
Manhattan is better. Most people choose it over JC beacuse it is much safer and has friendlier people for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas