U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM

71 posts, read 224,922 times

Advertisements

Manhattan is the larger of the 2. Junction City has roughly 22,000 residents and Manhattan has 52,000. Junction City is closer to Fort Riley. Manhattan has more stores, restaurants, and entertainment options.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 15 days ago)

21,167 posts, read 16,952,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreat8 View Post
Manhattan is better. Most people choose it over JC beacuse it is much safer and has friendlier people for the most part.
I lived and worked in both. They have different atmospheres. Manhattan is more than twice the population of JC. JC has more the military feel and Manhattan the college feel. I always found the people in Manhattan to be such snobs and was so glad to leave there! Really both towns have "trashy" and rundown areas and a lot of transient population.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:42 PM

22,222 posts, read 38,781,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Really both towns have "trashy" and rundown areas and a lot of transient population.
"Transient" actually describes much of Kansas as the state has a lot more out-migration and some in-migration compared to other places. Kansas has fewer native born residents than Missouri. Out-migration is extreme in most rural counties leading to a feel that most towns could blow away at any moment and certainly not stable. Now the oil boom has changed things in Harper County, but who knows how it will end up impacting the rest of the state- including the Hugoton gas fields.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:53 AM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 15 days ago)

21,167 posts, read 16,952,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"Transient" actually describes much of Kansas as the state has a lot more out-migration and some in-migration compared to other places. Kansas has fewer native born residents than Missouri. Out-migration is extreme in most rural counties leading to a feel that most towns could blow away at any moment and certainly not stable. Now the oil boom has changed things in Harper County, but who knows how it will end up impacting the rest of the state- including the Hugoton gas fields.
With Junction City and Manhattan both have a good share of military residents and then Manhattan has the college students so their "gration" of anything is more healthy and natural. Although no one wants to say it, Junction City is looked down on because they have more black residents and it would be a waste of time to dispute it. I am not black but I have seen so much discrimination because of race and where I came from, that was not the case. I worked on Fort Riley and I got to see the extent and little tricks they used to avoid hiring out of their race and the remarks made and such showed what morons I had surrounded myself with and yes, I spoke my mind on it!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 10,502 times
Quote:
I always found the people in Manhattan to be such snobs and was so glad to leave there! Really both towns have "trashy" and rundown areas and a lot of transient population.
Obviously, you haven't been to many other parts of the country. If you think Manhattan people are snobby (which I find hard and honestly funny to believe after living here for over 5 years and meeting lots of friendly and down to earth people), try going to the east or west coast. You are in for a big surprise.

As for both places having "trashy" and rundown areas, isn't that true for every city? It's true both Manhattan and JC have these things, but Manhattan has a heck of a lot less of them. Take it from me, I've been everywhere in this town and I honestly can't name a truely "trashy" area without thinking long and hard about it. As for JC, I can name you five places in a snap....and I don't even live there.

I know several people living in Manhattan who have jobs in JC, and they list better safety, education, standard of living and friendlier people as reasons to live in Manhattan over JC. So hey, I'm not the only one saying these things.

I'm not saying JC is a bad place, it just doesn't stack up to Manhattan.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,550,285 times
Quote:
I always found the people in Manhattan to be such snobs and was so glad to leave there!
I'm surprised to read this! I'm not saying it's perfect but the friendliness and openness of the people here is one of my favorite things about Manhattan.

My husband used to live in Junction City and thoroughly hated it.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:54 AM

12,167 posts, read 11,894,983 times
I find people from Manhattan to be extremely nice -- not stuck up at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas