U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:19 AM

16 posts, read 96,629 times

Advertisements

Really crummy town from what I've seen.

The amount of racism was the biggest shocker for me... I was amazed at how backwards a college town/capital city can be. It's not just one ethnic group either... Everyone hates everyone else, racial prejudice seems like another point on the long list of reasons for topekans to wish pain upon one another... everyone seems knee deep in problems - their own or someone else's.

If people are this unevolved in the capital of the state, it's no wonder they teach creationism in the public schools.

Not to mention the westboro baptist church is based here - the morons who picket soldiers funerals with 'god hates ****' signs.

It's cheap though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 6,615 times
Default Avoid Topeka

I grew up in Topeka and lived there for 27 years. Best decision I ever made was to move away from there. Instead of Topeka, we called it "Toe-puke-a." The city is pathetic. Don't move there if you have a choice!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:00 PM

89 posts, read 439,436 times
And don't forget, that is Fred Phelps town too!

Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 AM

6 posts, read 56,844 times
Default Things are getting better

That's pretty sad you are able to group an entire city of people into one group. The community has been very united against Fred Phelps for sometime. Although it would be nice, you can't just simply force him to move. There is a strong push to continue improving downtown and the riverfront authority will be unveiling plans for the future. I won't disagree that it has had it's fair share of problems, but there is a strong sense among many people, especially people my age in their 20's, that we can make things even better. You can talk all the trash you want but you are really just part of the problem.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:43 PM

19,331 posts, read 32,182,175 times
Post Topeka has experienced a ton of job losses

Quote:
Originally Posted by born1980 View Post
That's pretty sad you are able to group an entire city of people into one group. The community has been very united against Fred Phelps for sometime. Although it would be nice, you can't just simply force him to move. There is a strong push to continue improving downtown and the riverfront authority will be unveiling plans for the future. I won't disagree that it has had it's fair share of problems, but there is a strong sense among many people, especially people my age in their 20's, that we can make things even better. You can talk all the trash you want but you are really just part of the problem.
Topeka is not doing well at all economically. Shawnee County has lost a ton of non-farm jobs the past several years. In fact it ranks close to the top in terms of number of total jobs lost the past several years. Non-farm employment has decreased 11.7% between 2000-2004. This is a really bad number. Topeka needs to find new ways to figure out how to bring more jobs into the area. Their is a reason why that the average price for homes is so cheap in the county. The metro area also feels like it is stuck in a time warp with a rust belt flavor for sure. The county may be gaining some population because of the increase in the number of people living in the rural areas close to the city, and some influx of people from Douglas County looking to find a home at a more affordable price. This is because Lawrence has some of the highest real etate prices in the state when it comes to smaller metros.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/20/20177.html

Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 AM

277 posts, read 1,135,175 times
Quote:
That's pretty sad you are able to group an entire city of people into one group. The community has been very united against Fred Phelps for sometime. Although it would be nice, you can't just simply force him to move.
why not? Round up a posse and run him out of town on a rail. Better yet string him up by his toenails. Plants signs in his yard that say "satan loves you because your a bigot" and "God has a little surprise for you"

ok, i'll be good now

Old 05-04-2007, 05:55 PM

2,652 posts, read 7,345,602 times
Quote:
I was born and raised in Topeka and currently live in the SE part of the county. I was set on never coming back after I went off to college. The older you get the more your priorities change. When you start thinking about things like cost of living it really makes your look at your choices. We chose to live in SE Shawnee County and are about 15 minutes from Lawrence and 10-15 minutes from most Topeka shopping and entertainment. I think it is a great location and we paid at least 25% less than we would have in KC or Lawrence. Don't listen to these people that say the whole town is one big ghetto. There are a lot of beautiful historical neighborhoods and nice family areas.

I used to hate on Topeka as well. However I appreciate it a lot more now and laugh at my friends who live in Lawrence and buy one side of a duplex for the same price or more than a decent sized single family house in Topeka.

Houses are cheaper, but they don't appreciate in Topeka. Homes in Lawrence and KC Metro appreciate at a much faster rate than Topeka. Also, jobs pay less in Topeka, with less potential for advancement.

Old 05-07-2007, 02:33 AM

868 posts, read 1,564,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbowl View Post
And don't forget, that is Fred Phelps town too!
I know I'm gonna look a little strange to some for asking this, but who is Fred Phelps? Is he the guy who leads the stupid 'God Hates ****' group, or something else? (guessing that, since I remember hearing about that group protesting certain funerals in recent years)

It's too bad to hear Topeka is obviously struggling with crime, and job losses in recent years. Did it used to have a lot of factories and industrial jobs that were based in town, years ago?

Old 05-07-2007, 10:56 AM

868 posts, read 1,564,289 times
....Not to mention of course, certain people have mentioned that group(God Hates ****, erm) in this thread, so am I safe to assume Fred Phelps is the leader of them? I just had never heard who the leader of that group was, and like I might've said before, had only heard that group had protested certain funerals of(I believe, but correct me if I'm wrong) gay soldiers.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:17 PM

89 posts, read 439,436 times
Yes, dumpstermcnuggest, that's him.

born1980, you are right, Topeka cannot be judged on one group. I should have been more clear in my post. I wasn't talking about how I perceive Topeka. I drive up there several times a year to shop and eat out. I enjoy Topeka. I don't want to live in a town that size, but I do enjoy visiting and shopping there, and sightseeing, cultural events, etc.

My point that I did not make well at all was that people from out of state sometimes see Kansas as "Fred Phelps country," Topeka in particular.

It'd sure be nice to break that thinking somehow.

As in everything, Topeka, IMHO, has it's good things and bad. I wouldn't move there, period. Or I don't think I would, ya can't know the future. But there are sure worse places to live. And with most towns of size, you really need to watch what part of town you live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas