U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 12:28 PM

6 posts, read 56,839 times

Advertisements

The flip side of slow appreciation in real estate is the avoidance of a bubble. Lawrence is a prime example of a market that has slowed. Lawrence has a pathetic job market, it is first and foremost a bedroom community. Thats why so many people from Lawrence are moving to SE Shawnee County, where I live. Plus no matter how bad Topeka's city government may be, it is nothing compared to the "let's ban everything" mindset of Lawrence. We own rental property and just bought a full duplex in a good area for 133,000. My friend's half duplex in Lawrence would list for 130,000.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 12:45 PM

19,327 posts, read 32,177,298 times
Post Topeka and Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by born1980 View Post
The flip side of slow appreciation in real estate is the avoidance of a bubble. Lawrence is a prime example of a market that has slowed. Lawrence has a pathetic job market, it is first and foremost a bedroom community. Thats why so many people from Lawrence are moving to SE Shawnee County, where I live. Plus no matter how bad Topeka's city government may be, it is nothing compared to the "let's ban everything" mindset of Lawrence. We own rental property and just bought a full duplex in a good area for 133,000. My friend's half duplex in Lawrence would list for 130,000.
Yes, the real estate prices have gone a lot in the past several years in Lawrence because many people who live there commute to their jobs in Johnson County and Topeka. Both Topeka and Lawrence do not have a very good job market. Both cities have lost a lot of non-farm employment between 2000-2004, the most recent time period available. Lawrence has higher numbers of commuters, and higher prices. Topeka has a weak job market and low prices as well with fewer commuters compared with Lawrence.
In fact economic growth in Shawnee County has been very bad. Non-farm employment DECLINED over 10% between 2000-2004. I would hope the numbers have improved a little the past couple of years, but the data is not out yet.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:06 PM

868 posts, read 1,563,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbowl View Post
Yes, dumpstermcnuggest, that's him.

born1980, you are right, Topeka cannot be judged on one group. I should have been more clear in my post. I wasn't talking about how I perceive Topeka. I drive up there several times a year to shop and eat out. I enjoy Topeka. I don't want to live in a town that size, but I do enjoy visiting and shopping there, and sightseeing, cultural events, etc.

My point that I did not make well at all was that people from out of state sometimes see Kansas as "Fred Phelps country," Topeka in particular.
OK, I figured that's who he was. And anyway, I definately don't believe that Kansas could all be considered "Fred Phelps Country", at all. And of course, why else did I start my thread on central and western KS in the 1st place? (since I was interested in learning more about that state..)

As for Topeka, I'm sure there are pluses and minuses to living there, as there are for any other city in that state...(though I'm surprised to hear there is more crime there than I expected, albeit never mind that I've only JUST started to research what many towns of KS are truly like...)

Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,391 times
Default Topeka Ghetto

Topeka is not that bad on the west side. It is all about what you make of it.

Steve Dodge

[url=http://www.inthebars.com]In The Bars[/url]

Last edited by BAD MO*FO; 02-20-2008 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: silly typo

Old 02-24-2008, 07:22 PM

2 posts, read 32,494 times
Default I asked the question in the first place . . .

Hey, I initially asked this question. I've been in Topeka for about 9 mos. now, and it's just another town, with the same problems as any other. The town simply isn't as bad as many have made it appear in this forum. Of course the town has issues--mainly meth and racial tension. However, this is no different than every other Midwestern town I have ever lived in.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your opinions on Topeka!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM

110 posts, read 461,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdone View Post
Your acquaintance is right. Topeka does have a high crime problem, the whole city is a ghetto. Turn on the news, or read the newspaper, it's the same old thing everyday: robberies, murders, house break-ins, car jackings, stabbings, or shootings. Law enforcement is trying their best to do something, that's what I have to give them credit for, but they can't be everywhere at once. If you are buying a house, buy one out in the country like near Urish Rd so you won't have far to drive for the supplies you need. You will not be happy buying a house in the city, because you don't know who you will be living next door to. For example, your next door neighbor might be a crack or meth-head who saw you carry expensive things in the house, e.g. your PCs, plasma TV or jewelry, you go to work the very next day, and things that's not tied down sprout two legs and start walking by themselves.

The areas broke down according to NerdOne:

Highland Park, Hicrest, and East Topeka = poor blacks, whites, and Mexicans.

Oakland = poor Mexicans and whites

North Topeka = poor white trash and Mexicans.

Southwest and West Topeka = mixed with blacks and whites and Mexicans that made a life for themselves usually live in these areas.

Central Topeka = full of poverty, drugs, and protitutes.

There's still racism in the town, but not all white residents are backwoods imbeciles. Because I met some nice, intelligent, and classy white people that aren't racist at all. If you don't believe this, I put up with racism in this town but I'm not going to let it get to me, and I'm moving on. The schools are terrible and have a high dropout rate. As soon as I graduate from college in nine months, I'm getting out of Topeka as fast I can and moving to a smaller town that accept all people of color, religion, etc.
Topeka is Fred Phelps town right? Did you really expect tolerance in that environment?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM

1,280 posts, read 5,568,699 times
Fred Phelps' actions are not a product of living in Topeka. They are the result of a mentally ill man who has turned his family into a cult. No one in Topeka condones their behavior.
Not to say that Topeka doesn't have tolerance issues, but come on...

Old 03-08-2008, 02:28 PM

64 posts, read 326,001 times
Topeka had 544.7 violent crimes per 100,000 residents in 2006. The U.S. average was 473.5. Saying that it's "crime-ridden" is a bit of an exaggeration. Let's not forget that in larger cities, the crime only seems bad because there is a lot of it in terms of actual numbers, but the per-capita crime rate is the most accurate measure of your chances of becoming a victim. The more population you have, the more total crime you'll have. If you always measure crime by actual numbers, then New York City would obviously end up being the worst city in the U.S. since it's the largest city in the United States -- when in fact, NYC has one of the lowest crime rates for a city its size. Topeka has a lower violent crime rate than NYC, so that says something.

If you have proof that Topeka really has this huge crime problem and that the statistics are being falsified, let's hear it.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 14,576 times
I have to agree with born 1980. I too moved away and thought I would never come back, but there is something about this city that always makes you want to come home. All these people are saying this city is nothing but a big ghetto. Well, of course there are "ghetto" areas, what city doesn't have them? They are telling the truth about the west and central areas, they are very crime ridden, but there are areas of the city that you don't have to be afraid of living in just like any city. North Topeka for instance...yes, there are drunks walking the streets (just like anywhere else) but they don't bother you at all and there is little crime. I grew up in North Topeka and currently live in N. Topeka with my 3 children. The schools are good...small classes (my daughters 1st grade class has only 13 students) which equal more one on one with the students/teachers. Don't listen to all the negatives. Think about the positives too. There is much history in Topeka and it's really not a bad place to live.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 14,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdone View Post
Your acquaintance is right. Topeka does have a high crime problem, the whole city is a ghetto. Turn on the news, or read the newspaper, it's the same old thing everyday: robberies, murders, house break-ins, car jackings, stabbings, or shootings. Law enforcement is trying their best to do something, that's what I have to give them credit for, but they can't be everywhere at once. If you are buying a house, buy one out in the country like near Urish Rd so you won't have far to drive for the supplies you need. You will not be happy buying a house in the city, because you don't know who you will be living next door to. For example, your next door neighbor might be a crack or meth-head who saw you carry expensive things in the house, e.g. your PCs, plasma TV or jewelry, you go to work the very next day, and things that's not tied down sprout two legs and start walking by themselves.

The areas broke down according to NerdOne:

Highland Park, Hicrest, and East Topeka = poor blacks, whites, and Mexicans.

Oakland = poor Mexicans and whites

North Topeka = poor white trash and Mexicans.

Southwest and West Topeka = mixed with blacks and whites and Mexicans that made a life for themselves usually live in these areas.

Central Topeka = full of poverty, drugs, and protitutes.

There's still racism in the town, but not all white residents are backwoods imbeciles. Because I met some nice, intelligent, and classy white people that aren't racist at all. If you don't believe this, I put up with racism in this town but I'm not going to let it get to me, and I'm moving on. The schools are terrible and have a high dropout rate. As soon as I graduate from college in nine months, I'm getting out of Topeka as fast I can and moving to a smaller town that accept all people of color, religion, etc.

First of all, I want to say you are absolutely full of crap!!! North Topeka is NOT full of White Trash. You seriously don't know what you're talking about. North Topeka is statistically the safest area in town to live on and the people over here get along with each other very well. Yes, there are bars over here where there are drunks walking out of, but that's on any side of town. And when they are walking around, at least they aren't driving drunk and killing people like the West side. And they don't even bother you. And yes the mission is in North Topeka, but people from all sides of town come to hard times and have to go there. I'm seriously offended that you would say that the only side of town that people that have made a life for themselves is the West and Southwest side of town. My entire family lives in North Topeka and they are all well off and definitely NOT white trash. And if you think that moving to a smaller town is going to get you accepted as a person of color, you got another thing coming. I have lived in small towns and they are far more racist than the people in the city. They like to "stick to their own". So I wish you luck with that one. You really need to think about what you're typing and saying if you don't know what you're talking about. You can't live by here say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas