Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post

Men doing same just seems weird. To each his own and not dissing anyone.
To Anglo-Saxon white males, yes, it may seem weird.

I have traveled a good portion of the world and I've seen the cultural differences, and to them visiting this country, it would seem weird, not to see it.

First time I saw it in China, it rather puzzled me, to see three young Chinese men with their arms around each other walking around at a Zoo.

Or walking the streets of Athens, and seeing three muscular sailors with their arms around each other.

Or in Italy, where I'd see two men holding hands and talking to one another.
No, not Gay.

And I've seen it in Latin America and the Middle East.

Why are we so weird here? American men.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 PM

23 posts, read 86,098 times
Well put, tij. And just speaking as an Anglo, I certainly find nothing weird about it.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:58 PM

27 posts, read 101,650 times
not topeka, i would say certainly lawrence and probably kc

Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM

23 posts, read 86,098 times
Quote:
not topeka, i would say certainly lawrence and probably kc
Interestingly enough, a good 40-50% of my gay friends (mostly male, but a few female) at KU were Topeka natives. Not to suggest that Topeka is particularly gay-friendly, mind you.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:36 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
I'm not gay, but I had some friends in Kansas who were, both in the city and in small towns, and nobody ever conplained about having any problems. Kansas City is, as far as I know, pretty relaxed about gay life.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,643 times
I live in Lawrence as well. I love it there and have had no problem with acceptance.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin in the 'bury View Post
Hey everyone..

I'm gay and I was just wondering if anyone knew any accepting towns/cities in Kansas.
It's so funny you mentioned this just now, because while I was out shopping yesterday (in Johnson County, KS), I was thinking how accepting people in this area are of gays and lesbians. It just doesn't seem to be a big deal. I was thinking I see more gays in Kansas than I did when we lived in Chicago. Anyway, it delights me to be able to say that since I've had gay friends since the early 1970s and could never stand them being discriminated against.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:14 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
[quote=tijlover;9784063]To Anglo-Saxon white males, yes, it may seem weird.

I have traveled a good portion of the world and I've seen the cultural differences, and to them visiting this country, it would seem weird, not to see it.

First time I saw it in China, it rather puzzled me, to see three young Chinese men with their arms around each other walking around at a Zoo.

Or walking the streets of Athens, and seeing three muscular sailors with their arms around each other.

Or in Italy, where I'd see two men holding hands and talking to one another.

No, not Gay.

And I've seen it in Latin America and the Middle East.

I'm not sure those men you saw were Gay. Their being physically affectionate with each other does not mean they were having sex with men, or that their primary physical attraction was to men. What you saw may have been considered by them to be 'Normal Male Bonding'.

Please don't accept the demonization of 'Anglo Saxon' American males. The people who have been pushing the Anti-WASP disinformation, since at least the 1920s, have, and have had, agendas. At least two competing 'Great World Religions' (both traditionally homophobic in the extreme, and themselves vectors for homophobia, worldwide) have been intent upon breaking 'The Anglo Saxon Hegemony'. Demonization was their first step toward dispossession, and they would seem to have actually achieved their goal.

A rising tide lifts all boats. The high tide created by White Anglo Saxon Males (it was called America) lifted the Gay Boat. And it lifted my little Native American Canoe, too. I bought into the prevailing Victimization Industry's distortions, blaming White Anglo Saxon Protestants for virtually everything under the sun, too. And then I wised-up, and realized who built the universities I'd attended, and who had funded the scholarships that got me out of the mud hole of a village in which I'd grown up, and who had created the whole cultural framework of fairness and equity which we all assume is as natural as the air we breathe, but which is actually the creation of White Males.

I have only to compare my wonderful life as an Indigenous Person in America to the wretched lives of Indigenous People South of the Border, to realize that The WASP Hegemony was maybe a very good thing.

And my Gay associates have said basically the same thing. They fear for their future, now that 'Anglo Saxons' seem to no longer be in control.

I saw a Gay travel guide once, and was astonished how dangerous it is for Gay people in most of the world. That was maybe ten years back, but many whole countries had no Gay scenes at all, and homosexuality (merely as a state of being, rather than an act) in many of those places carried a risk of severe legal consequences. I remember laughing that the one place for Gay cruising in one entire (rich, quasi-Latin, non-Protestant) little country was in some bushes by the stairs below the Parking Lot by the Tennis Courts...or somesuch. How different from America, where even the tiny podunk Mississippi town up the road from our mudhole of a village had its own Gay Bar.

We moved ourselves and our operations from Mississippi, in part, because (relative to most of America), the social/legal climate was hostile to Gays. I kept losing my most valuable employees, because they were miserable in Mississippi. It is a state with a huge percentage of Non-'Anglo-Saxons', who vote for the anti-Gay politicians, and the anti-Gay laws.

Contrast that with the much whiter population of Kansas, and the fact that there seem to be several good places there, to be Gay, where Mississippi has NONE.

'Anglo Saxons' are not the problem.

Apologies for our hijacking of your thread, but I just had ta say....

Old 10-30-2015, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,732 times
Default Great Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary cooley View Post
Some places it depends on if you're male or female.I live in Great Bend,Ks.We have more lesbians I think,than gay men,but it seems that lesbians are a little more accepted .
Is Great Bend still or more accepting of lesbians? My work is transferring me there and it is the thing my wife and I are most worried about.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:07 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin in the 'bury View Post
Hey everyone..

I'm gay and I was just wondering if anyone knew any accepting towns/cities in Kansas.
Lawrence and KC, as many recommend, are good calls.

One thing you might encounter in Kansas is the terminal self-hater. I have a cousin in Wichita who exemplifies this. He's a raging alcoholic with a drug history, is openly gay, and has militant pro-gay views...but does his best to fit in with the political majority in Kansas, to the point of treating family members abusively. That political majority, of course, does its all to marginalize him and everyone else who is gay. He wants so badly to be in the club, he has even managed to disgust his stepfather (my blood cousin), who leans that way politically as well but never takes it to an alienating or abusive extreme, and can get along with anyone just fine. The poor guy hates who and what he is, takes it out on everyone, and never sees his internal contradictions. There might be more than one of my crazy cousin in Kansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas