Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 PM

14 posts, read 84,813 times

Advertisements

Hi All

considering moving to KS for a quieter life and someone recommended Chanute

but know really know anything about it

is there anyone on here that lives there or knows the place?

is there much to do?

is it a relaxing and is crime low?

thanks in advance

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 10:52 AM

321 posts, read 1,208,883 times
Chanute's a decent place to raise a family. There is a nice "lake" and park on the south end of town (Santa Fe Park/Lake). The schools are good and the atmosphere is generally friendly. Real estate prices are low, as well as rentals. There's not a lot of crime in Chanute. They've got a nice museum and library, an art gallery and seasonal festivals. I'm not sure what the job situation is like. When we lived there, businesses were shutting down. There was an IGA that closed a few years ago (couldn't compete with super w.m.) and Chanute lost bids for some industry because of tax issues.
I think, overall, the pluses outweigh the negatives, though. I'm sure someone with more recent experience will chime in and give you more information.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 12,762 times
Stuff to do:
I grew up in Chanute. Moved away 6 yrs ago but still have family there and go back on holidays. The vast majority of activities center around church activities. They do have a bowling alley, skating rink, and a Christian Coffee house for the teens. The school's are OK. They've got a few FABULOUS teachers, most are mediocre, and a few really bad ones. The community college in town is horrendous. Avoid. Go to Pittsburg instead (4 yr college, 45 min away). They have community theaters and plays that I played in the orchestra for, which was fun.

They've got a super walmart now which, IMO was a blessing. There are tons of TINY little towns within 45 min of Chanute that come to Chanute for Walmart, groceries and the like so it has a relatively rural feel although it is 10k people (last I checked). It covers every bit of your small town stereotypes: the gossipy neighbors who know everything about everything. Everyone knows who you are, what you drive, and what you wore yesterday. People are relatively friendly but that's because they know everyone! (esp my family: I've got 3 or 4 generations living there). I was on a first name basis with the owner of my bank because he was my youth church advisor for example.

Personally, I don't miss it one bit. I felt like the town was pretty run down and dumpy when I lived there but its since gotten new restaurants, banks, roads, etc and has really started to look nicer. Think they're putting in a new pool too. Oh, and they put in a new movie theatre (Thank God....the old one was about ready to litterally fall on your head).

Closest honest mall is about an hr away in Joplin. We used to go there for Christmas shopping. Closest major metropolitan is KC which is about 2 hrs away. You'll find very few nice restaurants in Chanute (esp chain ones for some reason like Applebees or Chiles or Old Chicago). Lots of fast food like Sonic or Subway. Iola's only a 30 min drive and its got similar features to Chanute but different so between the two towns, you've pretty much got your basis covered. Oh! And 30-40 min or so away in the town of Gas is a drive in movie theatre. Its rundown and antique but it exists and last I knew still operated.

Housing?
SouthEast Ks (SEK) is poor and sometimes it shows. Like I said, its gotten better but you'll find it nearly impossible to rent a NICE place because they're typically cheap enough to buy. I'd avoid most rentals in that area unless you want to deal with roaches and the like. (My family rented for a while and it was gross....) Think last I heard, SEK was one of the poorer regions in the state and Ks is typically poorer than its surrounding neighboring states. No idea if that's still true. Its been a long while ago.

Crime
There was a guy murdered in SaveaLot a few years back and it was THE talk of the town for MONTHS. Murders are essentially unheard of. My family lives in a decent part of town and they've had their cars broken into occationally, tires slashed, etc. Petty vandalism is fairly high from my personal experience but nothing serious (like breaking into houses, shootings, etc). Keep things locked up and put away and you shouldn't have any serious issues.

Thats all I can think of. Hope some of it helped if you haven't already found a place

Last edited by sandstars; 12-11-2008 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Read the title of post closer

Old 01-06-2009, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 5,335 times
Default chanute? BAD idea

Chanute is NOT the place to live. if you have kids you want to raise here its a bad idea. theres not much to do after they get into high school. drugs are a HUGE problem. so are the corupt police. the town has no where to get a good job. busnises rarly stay opean. and if you have pets, look out because the animal control has been known to be a Pain(to put it nice.) the college and hospital are terrible. Anyone around here will tell you they would rather drive an extra 15-30 min. to the next hospital even in an emergancie, rather than go to the one in chanute.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 AM

702 posts, read 2,506,149 times
Chanute is no better, no worse then any other small town in America. Little bit of crime, drug issues, nothing for kids to do, etc. Chanute is as good as any place to live, it just depends on what you are looking for. Quiet living and stress free life, then yes! Low paying jobs, yes, will your neighbors be nosey, yes.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,074 times
Default Neosho CCC

Two of you posted that the school in town is "horrendous". Please elaborate.
Chris

Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM

5 posts, read 9,725 times
Most of these posts were from 2008 and 2009 - Are drugs still a huge problem and has the school or hospital gotten any better? We too are thinking of moving for a job opportunity but do have a high school aged child. Don't know how smart it would be to move the child during high school years - but may have to.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4kids View Post
Most of these posts were from 2008 and 2009 - Are drugs still a huge problem and has the school or hospital gotten any better? We too are thinking of moving for a job opportunity but do have a high school aged child. Don't know how smart it would be to move the child during high school years - but may have to.
No, I wouldn't recommend that area at all. If you can find jobs in the Kansas City metro area that would be a much better choice.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

25,592 posts, read 21,764,305 times
Well, I surely can't recommend any city in SE KS after my experience and research. If no choice but to relocate, rent and use it as an in-between while looking for something better. I like the area from Salina to Topeka off I-70 and IF the house would sell, I'd be gone! When getting recommendations, try to get them from someone that has lived not only there but elsewhere. I joined the forum just after coming here "AnywhereElse"!

Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 6,074 times
Default 5 months in...

I've been here for 5 months now and it seems alright. Not my kind of setting, but there's work. The elem school is pretty nice, new sports facility next to HS, and rent is next to nothing. The folks can be nice, but at times oblivious to others. I dislike WalMart but can't find enough at G&W. Plus, there is something to say about being 100 miles from everything. I can even get to Fayetteville, AR in less than 3 hrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas