Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:46 PM

14 posts, read 71,409 times

Advertisements

Hi Bande1002. I'll be looking around the mid and south western areas. I've read from other posters that it is not as humid there and the sunsets are gorgeous and lots of wide open areas. As I've never been to Kansas, this should be really fun! I'm looking forward to it. We're renting a car to cruise around and get a general feel for the areas we visit. Can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 20,625 times
Default Try Stockton MO

My mother lives in Stockton MO. It's a very small town with Stockton Lake nearby. I love this little town. I'd say she is about an hour from Springfield. There are several small towns between Stockton and Springfield that might work as well. Bolivar is a little larger than Stockton and has a hospital which is lacking in Stockton. Buffalo is also a good suggestion. Small town about an hour from Springfield. There is so much open farm land and wooded hills in either comunity that you wouldn't have a problem finding somewhere quiet. I was actually born in Springfield, MO but never lived there. I am familiar with several small towns in Southwest Mo because of family living there. My grandparents lived on an 80 acre farm in Macks Creek area and before that, in Preston, MO. Loved the open fields and creeks. Good luck in your searc, but be sure to check out Stockton, Mo and Bolivar area! I think you'd like those areas.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,506 times
For everyone here who is considering moving to Kansas -- Welcome!! Admitedly this is my home state; I have also lived in Los Angeles (one year only) and had to move back. I've lived in the very small towns (Clay Center and Herington) and in the larger cities (Kansas City and currently Topeka) and in the in-betweens (Manhattan and Junction City). I like calling Kansas my home. Most of what I've read in this thread is pretty accurate to what I've experienced, also -- from the taxes, acceptance of diversity, cost of homes, etc. (My 4 bdrm 2.5 bath 2300 sq ft home cost me 184,000 just last year.) Median price of home in Topeka is 120,000ish. There are lots of areas outside of Topeka that are still very rural; but the area is also expanding very fast. I would caution anyone wanting to live in the country near a city to study the growth patterns over the past 15-20 years to see where the expansion lines are going.

As for the weather here....IT'S CHANGING!! As I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, Topeka was one of the worst for storms -- summer tornados and winter blizzards. However, in the past 10 years, we've fallen into a hole where ALL bad weather seems to go just north or just south of us. Our summer temps are in the upper 90's - low 100's with moderate to high humidity. Winters will average in the teens with much colder wind chills. What the weather people will tell you is a little different. Their readings are taken out in a field where there are no buildings, traffic, roads, etc to effect those readings. I would not compare us to San Diego -- a coastal city. We would be more like St. Louis. I've only been in one tornado (1974 in Clay Center -- first one ever on record to hit that small town); but one of the largest ever to hit anywhere in Kansas was here, in Topeka, in 1966. As far as I know, there have been none here, since. Clay Center, on the other hand, has had at least 2 since that first one in '74. My point is -- temps can range from -30F (wind chill) to 115F (heat index); precipitation can be from drought conditions (no rain for weeks at a time) to floods (10" RAIN in one day) to SELDOM blizzards (10-12" snow in one storm); winds 0-70MPH. We had 95F just 3 days ago and they're predicting snow flurries in 2 days!!

Hope some of this helps!!

Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 5,511 times
Dear VeganWriter, I Just moved back to Hutchinson, Ks. from Pensacola, Fl. I spent 17 years there and was culture shocked when I began to get around. I was here as a child and things have grown up but the people here are so nice, the commute is nice (15 mins anywhere in town), National chain restuarants (Applebees, Chili's, McDonalds, BK, Etc) mall, Wal-mart, Target, K-mart... Needles to say I Love this place. There is a population of African-Americans and there should be no worry about not fitting in here. The worst thing is that the average speed limit is 35 and some at 45, so for big city drivers, like myself, it is hard to maintain a "slow" speed. There are also houses here that will blow your mind. Nice homes, 5br3.5ba custom for$250,000. I could not believe it, that same house would be atleast $1.2mil In Pensacola. So I think you can bring the big city $$$, buy a small town home, and have plenty of peace and quiet. Thanks Tile_guy

Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,606 times
Default Moving out of California

Well don't forget about Nebraska. We keep what we have in Nebraska a secret by putting our interstate highway on the most flat part of the state. To enjoy Nebraska one needs to get off the interstate and explore our State.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:16 PM

82 posts, read 215,137 times
We spent a few weeks driving across Kansas this summer and really liked Cottonwood Falls, Council Grove and pretty much any small community along the Santa Fe trail. We spent a week at a lake outside Cottonwood Falls and there were many black and white folks fishing the lake. If you're retired and want acerage and lovely old homes and don't need to make a living, I'd highly suggest lovely Council Grove or Cottonwood Falls. Search our blog for those towns for pictures; removed

Last edited by Marka; 12-04-2006 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: read the rules, please

Old 01-01-2007, 03:43 AM

3 posts, read 18,605 times
Cottonwood Falls is a great place to live. It is in the heart of the Flint Hills and is on the Flint Hills Scenic Byway. The downtown looks like something straight out of a movie. My family and I go there every year and stay at a B&B called "Clover Cliff Ranch" which is right along highway 50.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:10 AM

19 posts, read 103,340 times
Hays, Kansas is a terrrific place to live. Small town, but all the essentials you would need. Regional medical center, small four year university, shopping, and with 45 minutes of 3 lakes for fishing and hunting. Right on I-70 midway between Kansas City and Denver. Also 4 airline flights daily. Check out removed

Last edited by Marka; 01-12-2007 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: read the rules

Old 01-18-2007, 04:42 AM

188 posts, read 933,539 times
Frederick,
You might want to look into the area around Junction City and Manhattan, Kansas. Pretty area, and there is a big military community with a lot of racial mix and people who tend to be pretty friendly to everyone. I lived there for four years. I saw a striking difference in the way people acted there as compared to here in the Wichita area. Think you might be happy there. Close enough to Topeka and Salina for shopping, too.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 11,719 times
We moved to Kansas City area (Overland Park) 15 years ago - my wife was big city - NYC! She and all of her family members - absolutely LOVE it here! Several have moved here too.

We loved it so much we became realtors - and are now supervising brokers! Over our 11 years in the business - we have helped people from all over the country - and yes - many are waking up to the same thing - you can't beat the midwest living - open spaces - cheaper cost of living - the freedom - and best of all - the really great people.

Many many people we have worked with, some influential, have pretty much said the same thing - 'Kansas City is one of the biggest kept secrets in the country."

And those who have relocated to other parts of the country - due to jobs, etc. - all seem to 'move back.'

But we also would say that the USA has a lot of really great places to live! It's our freedom to choose!

Contact us if you need any help or information in the Kansas Missouri region (including the Lake of the Ozarks, Branson, etc)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas