Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:39 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebanonmom View Post
Here are some pictures, not sure how they go on but I am trying. They are the Center, one is a picture standing in the center looking toward town.
Yes, the open prairie. My relatives have the family ranch that they manage in NW Kansas. It feels like being out on the frontier again because so many people have left over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 PM

19 posts, read 66,209 times
i am from the east but recently purchased a few acres in southeast kansas where i plan to move.. on my last trip i traveleld to the flint hills region and thought that was beautiful especially the tall bluestem prairie preserve

Old 08-24-2008, 09:24 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
There is lots of land around Lawrence, Kansas, which is in Douglas County and home of the University of Kansas. Always lots of diversity in a college town. Seems a lot of people retire in Douglas County. There's the side of town where the university is and where the student housing is, and then there are areas with really nice houses. My husband and I were actually talking about it today because we drove almost to Lawrence and saw a lot of newer homes and some being constructed on large lots.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:55 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
There is lots of land around Lawrence, Kansas, which is in Douglas County and home of the University of Kansas. Always lots of diversity in a college town. Seems a lot of people retire in Douglas County. There's the side of town where the university is and where the student housing is, and then there are areas with really nice houses. My husband and I were actually talking about it today because we drove almost to Lawrence and saw a lot of newer homes and some being constructed on large lots.
Those newer houses in Lawrence tend to be very cookie cutter with rather shoddy construction as well. Most of the newer development in Lawrence is on the west and south sides of town. I like the fact that Lawrence has strict zoning policies which prevent sprawl from getting too out of control. I love the old historic neighborhoods closer to Downtown that are a 5 minute drive to the University. Another advantage is that you can be out in the country in 5 minutes from Lawrence as well. I particularly like the agricultural heartland of the Kansas River Valley if you just ignore that dirty coal plant.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:36 AM

116 posts, read 421,777 times
“If it really resembles the rolling countryside of rural France, then I am halfway there! I have never spent much time in the Midwest.” My husband’s cousin went to France several years ago he flew out of KC and when he landed in France he said the area looked very much like the northeast area of KS. It is very common here to grow your own grapes. Tropical fruits will not grow here but a large number of fruits, nuts and vegetables can be grown here.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM

11 posts, read 29,953 times
Wow, sounds like a winner! Excuse me for butting in, but I too am looking to retire in a small town and have thought about somewhere in Kansas or Indiana. Coming from Texas, I am tired of the desert, the traffic and rude people. Please give more info as to the name of the towns you are talking about. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:57 PM

27 posts, read 52,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tany123 View Post
Wow, sounds like a winner! Excuse me for butting in, but I too am looking to retire in a small town and have thought about somewhere in Kansas or Indiana. Coming from Texas, I am tired of the desert, the traffic and rude people. Please give more info as to the name of the towns you are talking about. Thanks.
I too am looking for a place to get away from the daily hustle and bustle.
California's my departure.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,887 times
Basically the northeastern quadrant of Kansas is rolling hills. So are the areas it adjoins in Nebraska, Iowa, and Missouri.

Be advised these small towns are slowly dying except for the ones that are bedroom communities to larger cities. Agriculture was their mainstay, and modern agriculture takes far, far less labor than it once did, hence the towns' demise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas