U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-31-2008, 11:05 AM

19 posts, read 47,057 times
Default camping in kansas

i am form out of state but recnetly bought a nice 6 acre parcel in fort scott.. i am planning a trip back ther ein october and will stay in that area for 2 days and camp on my land ther.. after that i have a couple weeks to travel through the state and was wondering if anyone can recoomend some good camping areas... possibly state lands but not essentiial.. last time i stayed at motels but the cost was too high so wanted to enjoy the more natural way and camp in my basic tent. your recccomendations would be greatly appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 01:05 PM

320 posts, read 720,997 times
I hope linking this is O.K.

USGS - LAKES AND RESERVOIRS IN KANSAS (http://ks.water.usgs.gov/Kansas/waterdata/climate/reservoir.html - broken link)

We've been camping at Perry, Kanopolis and Cedar Bluff. The kids loved it!

Old 08-31-2008, 05:21 PM

19 posts, read 47,057 times
Default camping in kansas

ty qusera.. that site is a help/// o wnated to go near kanapolis and salina area also last visiit i was at the flint hills and tall prairie preserve in strong city and i want to go back ther.. the campgrounds were full that time as they had the symphony at the preserve. but in october should be great to camp there

Old 09-04-2008, 08:25 AM

17 posts, read 43,951 times
Perry is nice... we also enjoy going to Lake LaCygne, which is about an hour north of Fort Scott on 69 Hwy. Its a smaller park but has a marina, trails, fishing, and wildlife galore. There are people who live there year round and it offers six small cabins, full electric and water sites and sites with no electric or water that are right on the lake.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:48 PM

12 posts, read 25,904 times
Just had a friend and her family camp here and they really like it.
http://springlakervresort.com/

Old 09-13-2008, 08:30 AM

421 posts, read 731,779 times
Default Gypsum Hills

If you ride horses, these people have overnight pack rides in the Gypsum Hills:

http://www.gypsumhillstrailrides.com/index.html

This area is one of the most beautiful in the state, IMHO. I hope it remains unspoiled. Well worth a visit. I'm sure there are other places to camp there as well.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 AM

5,290 posts, read 7,240,507 times
Prairie, I'm glad to see somebody else camps in a tent. Most people get these motor homes or "campers" complete with A/C, Microwave, TV and satellite,etc. That's not camping! That's taking your house with you! Just give me a good tent and my Coleman stove and lantern.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 PM

38,744 posts, read 37,204,368 times
There is a designated "State Fishing Lake" in most counties in eastern Kansas, and some in the western part of the state. Camping is rustic (only a picnic table and pit toilet, usually) but it is safe and it is relatively green and scenic and shady, and best of all, it is FREE. The locations of the fishing lakes is indicated on the Rand McNally road maps, but you often have to make inquiry in a nearby town to have somebody tell you how to find them. In some cases, the effort to establish a fishing lake failed, the lake dried out, and there is nothing there, but it is still usable for camping. There are also many towns in Kansas that allow free overnight camping in one of their city parks, which are often in pleasant locales near the edge of town, so they will be quiet and away from town activity at night. (Free camping in town parks is more common further north, like the Dakotas, but there are some in Kansas, too.) .

There are lots of chiggers in the grass in Kansas, which cause miserable bites. Best way to combat those is to buy a few ounces of "elemental sulfur" in any drug store, and lightly dust your socks, shoes and pants cuffs with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas