U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:33 AM

20 posts, read 63,277 times

Advertisements

You mentioned in your posting the cities of Garden City and Larned. That is wonderful. I live in a small town just across the Colorado border and Garden City is where we go for our shopping and entertainment needs. It has about 30,000 people so it's not too small or too big which seemed to be what you were looking for. Garden has a small mall with Sears, JCPenney, and several other typical mall stores. It has a nice hospital, several good restaurants, and the people have always been very friendly. It is about 3 hours from Wichita, so if you need to go to the big city for something, you could make it a day trip. I would highly recommend you check it out!

Larned is another good choice. I drive through it quite often. I am always amazed at how clean Larned is, it really has a Mayberry feel to it. I have only stopped there for gas and food, but the people seem very friendly and I have a friend who grew up there and he has always said the people were great.

I hope you can check these cities out, and I hope I have helped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 11:57 AM

15 posts, read 71,643 times
OK, Great Bend, briefly put...

Medical care: there's Central Kansas Med. Center (a glorified hospital built on the 1960's concept of high-tech care, but aging). There's no VA hospital closer than an hour's drive.

Quiet/laid back: True, when the trains aren't running through the center. Most of these prairie towns were built for and about the railroads. Great Bend has a track running diagonally through the west side of town -- about one slow freight per day but rarely if ever at night. But there's a lot of truck traffic (cattle haulers, through trucks, etc.) that run through town...10th and McKinley. And they run all the time, day and night. Great Bend could but hasn't built a bypass for the through traffic.

Friendly? Well, you gotta be to get along. That's just good PR. But is the friendliness superficial? Let me put it this way: in small towns anywhere you usually have to live there three generations before you're considered an insider. That's the case almost anywhere, not just here in GB. But if you're a business/employer, well that's of course another thing altogether. The biggest business in GB is banking, so you'll be a persona grata!

And convenience isn't a strong suit if you're used to Home Depot around the corner. The nearest large big box store other than WalMart is 70 miles down/up the road. So if you drive a Toyota (and indeed, many do here) then plan a daytrip to a dealer for service. On the other hand, if you drive a Lincoln or F150, Marmie's does a pretty decent job right here in town.

Last edited by mile high; 04-07-2007 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: clarification and typo. correction

Old 04-18-2007, 12:12 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,189,711 times
I live in Great Bend for a year and I really liked it. It's just a decent, small town. I found the people very friendly and helpful. The library was pretty good when I was there and the duck hunting was great. It can be cold in the winter, especially with the wind.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 AM

6 posts, read 17,488 times
Great Bend is not bad. Cost of living is low, home prices and rent lower than national average. No VA (closest I believe is Wichita which is around a two hour drive or so) and the hospital in Great Bend is a bit antiquated but ok. Not much to do and the only major store in town is Wal Mart. I saw someone mention Washington County as well. It's even less developed but a very nice area. I have family that live in both Great Bend and Washington County. In my opinion they are both nice areas but they don't have all the conveniences of a big city.

Last edited by TBLight81; 05-27-2008 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: misspell

Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 PM

99 posts, read 401,053 times
You need to come visit. Great Bend, Hays and Salina all have their good points.

No one with a lick of sense would want to move to Wichita or Lawrence.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:07 PM

20,175 posts, read 34,515,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim West View Post
You need to come visit. Great Bend, Hays and Salina all have their good points.

No one with a lick of sense would want to move to Wichita or Lawrence.
I don't think Wichita and Lawrence belong in the same category

Old 05-28-2008, 05:25 PM

99 posts, read 401,053 times
Wyatt Earp tried to clean up Wichita, and Quantrill and Anderson tried to clean up Lawrence, and neither one of them did a real good job of it.

Maybe not for identical reasons, but you have to admit that it did make both Earp and Quantrill into folk heros.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:08 PM

55 posts, read 267,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Tired View Post
For some unknown reason, I hear Kansas calling me. We are considering moving there (Hays/Great Bend/Salina) area.

What can you tell me about the weather? I know that it can get cold in the winter, but how hot in the summer, how windy and the chances of tornado's?
How standoffish are the locals in small towns to outsiders?

I have never been to KS, but my ancestors lived there in late 1800's before migrating West. My great great grandparents are buried in Washington Co. near Palmer.

We are in our late 50's and self employed in the antique business. So we don't need to live in a large city, just close to good medical center and VA Hospital.

We hope to come visit in early May? Is that a good time weather wise?

Its a good time to visit Kansas and see a tornado! There are a few of them tonight. Weather is hot in summer, cold in winter. We have four distinct seasons, but sometimes spring and fall are brief (though not usually). The greatest weather variable across the state is annual rainfall. Eastern Kansas receives about 40 inches annually (comparable to other midwestern states east of Kansas) whereas Western Kansas receives as little as 17 or 18 inches annually. The most common and consistent weather feature statewide is wind. Its generally very windy here.

I think if you want to have a successful antique business you do not want to relocate to too small of a community. Hays, Great Bend and Salina are all reasonably sized with Great Bend being the smallest at around 15,000; Hays at around 20,000 and is a college town on Interstate 70; and Salina being a city of around 50,000 also on I-70. Wichita is a city, so if you dont want to live in a metropolitan area keep that in mind. Some good alternate locations you have not mentioned could be Newton (20,000 or so) Hutchinson (40,000 or so) or McPherson (15,000) or so, all of which are within about an hour of Wichita. Maybe a small town in the Flint Hills (which are beautiful, but located a bit farther east than you've indicated you'd want to move) like Cottonwood Falls or Council Grove would suit you considering your business. There are some really small towns that are quintessential Kansas farm towns, but most are likely too small to support your business. Something to keep in mind if that matters to you.

Dont worry too much about being welcomed by the community. Most Kansas towns are experiencing declining populations and are therefore very interested in welcoming newcomers, especiall those with a business.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:33 AM

5 posts, read 19,202 times
I grew up in Lyons Ks and lived in GB for six years then moved to Rogers Ar. I use Ar as my home state. Does that tell you anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas