U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 14,263 times

Advertisements

For some unknown reason, I hear Kansas calling me. We are considering moving there (Hays/Great Bend/Salina) area.

What can you tell me about the weather? I know that it can get cold in the winter, but how hot in the summer, how windy and the chances of tornado's?
How standoffish are the locals in small towns to outsiders?

I have never been to KS, but my ancestors lived there in late 1800's before migrating West. My great great grandparents are buried in Washington Co. near Palmer.

We are in our late 50's and self employed in the antique business. So we don't need to live in a large city, just close to good medical center and VA Hospital.

We hope to come visit in early May? Is that a good time weather wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 10:15 PM

218 posts, read 1,359,942 times
Decent VA medical facility in Wichita. That area is booming. Might want to check it out. The little towns are really struggling, overall. As far as welcoming outsiders in small town Kansas, I really can't say. That's such an individual call.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:02 AM

10 posts, read 80,087 times
Default Salina, KS

Well i have not been there to Salina for a few years now I would say 5 years but they have a decent size population and the many times i have been there the people were always friendly. God about 12 years ago i spent about every weekend in Salina, KS. When I was younger my parents back then had troubles with one of my older brothers he was in a boys home about a 45 minutes away from Salina and we would go to visit every weekend or every other weekend. So we often on visits would pick him up and we would go into Salina to go to movies as a family and out to dinner and I always thought of the people there in town as very friendly. I haven't been there that often in years the last trip was like i said about 5 years ago just to revisit the place and memories from the past. Not sure how much has changed but when i was a kid Salina was a place where people felt safe at nights leaving the door unlocked and kids could go to the mall on their bike and not worry about it being stolen. I am sure some has changed in the last 12 years but i always thought it was a nice city. Salina has a population of about 50,000. here is a link to Salina's city website with information http://www.ci.salina.ks.us/ . Anyways of the cities you mentioned I know Salina is a very good one to look into. I have been to Hays once or twice and i also is a very nice town that has quite a bit to offer but but it is a college town lots of college age People and i knew a highway patrol officer that worked that area for years and like most college areas it can be a little bit of a party town i hear at times which may not be bad if your younger and like to party a lot but I just with your age i think Salina is a nice place to consider for you guys I hope that I helped some with what i had to say.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:25 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,540,895 times
I lived in Great Bend. There's not a whole lot there. It can get very hot and windy of course. I was living there when a Tornado touched down in the county over. So, Yes tornado's are possible.

I've only been thru the other towns you listed.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:03 PM

1 posts, read 6,065 times
Default Great Bend is a nice quiet community

I have lived in a small town outside of Great Bend for the past 25 years. Just retired and moved to be closer to family. It has been a hard move because we enjoyed living in that area -- wide open spaces. No hills to get in the way of your view. You might want to include considering the small towns near by.

The nearest VA facilities are in Wichita - 120 miles. Great Bend does have a good civilian medical facility. Many of the doctors in the area accept and are familiar with Tricare.

Summers get hot, but the humidity is usually 50% or less so it is not the suffocating hot that is experienced in more humid areas. I have just moved to southeastern KS where the temperatures are not usually as hot as GB area, but the humidity makes it almost unbearable at times. Tornadoes do happen but that's part of living in Kansas. We don't get too excited about them.

GB has a small town community atmosphere. They work hard to try to provide social and cultural activities. It would be a good place to retire if you like a quiet, laid back area.

BTW, you mentioned that you have relatives buried in the Palmer area of Washington County, Kansas. My father's family is from that area. I grew up in a different part of Washington County near there.

May is a great time of year for visiting. The weather is usually beautiful then-warm and sunny. The April winds have died down and the June rain has not yet begun. I used to teach school and it was almost impossible to stay in the classroom that last month.

Last edited by kansaslifer; 02-12-2007 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-15-2007, 10:45 PM

6 posts, read 29,161 times
Default Why so far west?

Have you thought about Lawrence, KS at all? It's a great little town and they are the top for small business owners. Being between Topeka and KC, they also draw a lot of traffic here for stops in between, parents of students, etc. With such a business, you'd think it may draw some good buyers of your antiques.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:22 PM

19 posts, read 94,365 times
Default Hays, KS

Hays is an exceptional small town. There is everything here you would want. Regional medical center with facilities for open heart surgery, cancer treatment, and a wellness center. Four year university and if you are 65 or over can audit course for free. Amazing ariport for town of this size. Two flight to Kansas City and two Denver each day. Located on I-70 midway between Kansas City and Denver. Many volunteer opportunities. A Recreation Commission that schedules children activities as well as adult. Want more info e-mail me privately. I find the people friendly. Imoved here from Ohio.

Oh, yes the weather. Well the past 5 or so winters have been mild. Summer is has been hot at times over 100 degrees, but humidity is low. Yes, the wind does blow, I like it. Tornadoes, well I have lived here for here for 40 years and a tornado has not hit Hays, but they been in the surrounding area.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:01 PM

3 posts, read 14,263 times
Thank you all for the great information.

We will try to visit Kansas in May.We chose the western part..at least west of Salina due to the lower humidity. We like the slower laid back atmosphere of small towns, but close enough to a larger town or city for shopping, entertainment,etc.

Anyone familiar with the small towns along state highway 36..like Phillipsburg, Kensington,Belleville? Is the weather any more unsettled the farther north you go? How about Garden City,Larned, or small towns south of I-70 between Garden City and Wichita?

Ideally, we need a town with natural gas available and dsl internet service. Also within 2 or 3 hour drive from a town the size of Salina or bigger.

Also, no one has addressed the taxes in KS. Looking at Realtor.com, I notice property taxes are for the most part very reasonable. Are there any hidden taxes that we should be aware of? Washington doesn't have a state income tax, but they more than make up for it in other taxes. Although we did pass a referendum that lowered our car tabs.

Last edited by Re-Tired; 02-17-2007 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 02-20-2007, 04:32 PM

218 posts, read 1,359,942 times
Concentrate your efforts on the Wichita area. There's a decent number of small communities within an hour's drive, plus they have a good airport, and the VA facility is excellent. Convenience and rural feel all at the same time. Go further west, and you're getting into the stockyards and beef processing areas . . . I'm talking about the aroma that will envelope you when the wind blows the wrong way. . . Just think about that.

Taxes are so relative - Compared to Washington, I think you'll find it the same or better. Certainly shouldn't be higher.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 16,523 times
Actually, you would get more bang for your buck by living in the smaller communities up near Washington County. You could live around the Clay Center area, as it is only 15 minutes away from Palmer, and it is also only a 35 minute drive to Irwin Army Hospital in Junction City. They would most likely have any and all of the military services you would need and Junction City (traditionally a less than desirable community ) is the fastest growing community/city in the state now as there are 3000 military families coming in this year. The community is bracing for 15,000 new residents and are building new schools, doubling the size of the Hospital and adding over 300 new homes. Apart from Clay Center, you could not go wrong with communities around like Concordia, or even Minneapolis Kansas where they have made national news with thier free land give away programs for people building new homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas