Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 09:27 PM

53 posts, read 134,512 times

Advertisements

Kansas, along with Nebraska, and the Dakotas has long been considered a part of of the Midwest region of the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 09:38 PM

53 posts, read 134,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The Midwest has got to be the largest land area in the Continental US . I have read where Casper Wy and Cleveland OH are both Midwest. And What about the St. Louis arch being the gateway to the West? they should of put it in Denver.
St. Louis was referred to as the gateway to the West looong before the Arch was constructed.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvlman View Post
Kansas, along with Nebraska, and the Dakotas has long been considered a part of of the Midwest region of the USA.
I only consider the eastern parts of those states to be solidly Midwest. The western portions of those states are far more arid with ranching and energy being the dominant industries as opposed to farming. The landscape is also quite different as well. My grandparents grew up in rural NW Kansas and I DO NOT and have never considered that area to be part of the Midwest. It is the "American West" to me because it still has that frontier flavor.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,216 times
Of course Kansas is in the Midwest!!! It is west of the Mississippi and is the geographic center of the USA! It is also in the Central Standard Time zone. --I will never figure out how Ohio (east of the Mississippi and in the Eastern Standard Time zone) is in the "Midwest"!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:25 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,393,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael6076 View Post
Of course Kansas is in the Midwest!!! It is west of the Mississippi and is the geographic center of the USA! It is also in the Central Standard Time zone. --I will never figure out how Ohio (east of the Mississippi and in the Eastern Standard Time zone) is in the "Midwest"!!!!!!
Because it has farms and ranching, and in certain parts of the Northeast with plenty of media, all those insignificant places that grub in the soil to grow food fall under 'the Midwest', and that's all that said Northeastern regions ever need think or say of the territory encompassing the Ohio and Mississippi/Missouri drainage basins.

I became a lot less nationalistic on a national scale, and more so on a regional scale when I came to realize just how alien the East was to me (not bad, just different and with little in common), and how alien I was to it. I think I can even identify the moment, and it was a very Kansas moment. I was watching a ranch rodeo in Chase County during a visit. With my heavy beard and UW baseball cap and my paganism and my curse-on-both-houses political atheism, I would not seem to belong in a rural crowd heavily leaning toward Jesus and flag-waving and Reagan and a very selective interpretation of the 2nd Amendment. And yet I was comfortable there among them, enjoying watching real cowhands show their skills and teamwork at real tasks. I belonged. The fact that I didn't look the part was immaterial; I was comfortable with them, so they were comfortable with me. Whereas in Washington DC, while I have no complaints at all about the people or how I was treated, I could never, ever belong if I lived there a hundred years. Nor can I remotely imagine ever feeling like I belonged anywhere in New England, lower New York or Philadelphia. I belong more in Washington state than I would in the East, but I still don't belong, despite the many things to love about Washington. In Kansas I belong.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 PM

2,813 posts, read 5,597,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straw hat View Post
Back when people lived only on the east coast Missouri was as far as you would go and still be in the United States. Chicago was in the mid west; people never did get over the fact that the country grew. So they insist on calling the states that are still in the east third of the country the Mid West.
That would place our east coast states in the west. Measure the distance from the west coast to Chicago then measure the same distance from Chicago to the east, you will be somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.
mid west = Middle of the west
However the states in the center of the country are called the plains states. Those would be North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.
Actually that is not true about the states in the middle being called just plains states. I lived most of my life in Nebraska, South Dakota, and even North Dakota. Those are all definitely called Midwest- the people there call it the midwest, it's referred to in that sense on local TV, advertising ("largest Ford dealer in the Midwest", "Best pizza in the Midwest", etc.) That's just the way it is- it doesn't matter much that people in other parts of the country seem to think the Great Lakes states are the only "midwest", because the people who actually live in these areas know.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael6076 View Post
I know Ohio like the back of my hand and it is most definitely a Midwest state. It has far more "Midwestern qualities" compared to the western sections of the Great Plains states. The economy in Ohio is far more diversified than people give it credit for as well. (Still a bit too much reliance on the manufacturing sector, though). My relatives ranch in NW Kansas and that area will always be the "Frontier West" to me.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:08 PM

27 posts, read 154,255 times
I was raised in NW KS and have lived in Lawrence, KC, and St. Louis. I always thought of KS and MO as Midwestern states. KS is in the Great Plains region of the Midwest, vs. Michigan for example being in the Great Lakes Region of the Midwest.

There is no right or wrong answer here and unfortunately these imaginary boundaries and regions are not strictly defined. Southern MO and SE KS have southern influences but are FAR more Midwestern as a whole than say Alabama or Georgia. SW KS has Southwestern influences but is far more Midwestern than say Arizona.

I think the vast majority of Kansans would say KS is a Midwestern state.

Oklahoma is the real Q. Eastern OK is very Southern. North Central and NW OK are midwestern. Southwestern OK is very much like Eastern New Mexico.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocifus View Post
I was raised in NW KS and have lived in Lawrence, KC, and St. Louis. I always thought of KS and MO as Midwestern states. KS is in the Great Plains region of the Midwest, vs. Michigan for example being in the Great Lakes Region of the Midwest.

There is no right or wrong answer here and unfortunately these imaginary boundaries and regions are not strictly defined. Southern MO and SE KS have southern influences but are FAR more Midwestern as a whole than say Alabama or Georgia. SW KS has Southwestern influences but is far more Midwestern than say Arizona.

I think the vast majority of Kansans would say KS is a Midwestern state.

Oklahoma is the real Q. Eastern OK is very Southern. North Central and NW OK are midwestern. Southwestern OK is very much like Eastern New Mexico.
I generally agree, but have a differing way of looking at it. The eastern 2/3rds of the Dakotas, Nebraska and Kansas are more Midwestern. The western 1/3 of these states are more Western overall. When you have to irrigate Midwestern crops I don't consider you very Midwestern at all. Large-scale irrigation of farmland is a very Western feature for the most part.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:53 PM

9,429 posts, read 10,700,516 times
Midwest is more of a historical term, it was applied to the states of the old northwest ordinance after the nation expanded west, making them no longer northwest but midwest. No doubt the midwest is not the same from one end to another. I live in Michigan and here as in Wi and MN you here the term upper midwest alot. Kansas like all other plains states has been added to the midwest as the nation expanded all the way to the Pacific. I think Kansas has elements of both midwest and west. Everytime I have ever been there, the state seems to become much more western in nature as you head toward Colorado. Like Ohio, and Missouri, Kansas seems to be influecned by two regions(midwest and west). If you go into the Ohio forum you will find the same debate about whether that state is northeastern or midwestern. Missouri debates between south and midwest. It is possible for a state to have elements of two regions inside the same state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas