U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 26,287 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm thinking about relocating to Hutchinson and would like to hear from people about their thoughts on Hutchinson.
I've been told that Wichita is not to far away. Is Wichita worth looking into also?
Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 06:12 PM

7 posts, read 43,045 times
All depends on what you're looking for. Hutchinson has more of a small town feel and Wichita is working to get the big city feel. Where are you coming from? You might want to look into FREE land in Argonia, KS. It's a great little town just south of Wichita about 35 minutes from shopping and the airport. Check out argoniadevelopment.com

Hutch is nice also. I've lived just outside of Hutch for a year.
Good luck in your search!
Jon

Old 01-15-2009, 03:20 PM

13 posts, read 12,971 times
Well if you like living in a prison town hutch is the place.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 25,345 times
I have lived in both Hutchinson and Wichita. Hutchinson is a great place if you want to raise kids or retire...or just love that small town lifestyle. Wichita is a much bigger city, but it has never fully adopted the big city mentality and is still very behind in progressing on to be a major metropolis. I do, however, enjoy Wichita because it is big enough to have some variety and culture and yet small enough that you seem to run in to lots of people that you know. I love the Arkansas River and all of the things that Wichita has to offer. If you love working out and being active...it is a great city. If you are interested in moving to Wichita, you might want to think about purchasing the 2009 Spotlight on Wichita book if this year's edition is out. There are many things to do in Wichita and the cost of living is relatively low and yet there are lots of wonderful jobs here. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 25,345 times
Oh, if you love the arts...there is a lot to do!

Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,271,903 times
I currently live in Hutchinson (locals call it Hutch). We moved here last May and our neighbors have been wonderful. They helped me move in, borrow tools, gave us some of the vegetables they grew, and spoil our young kids. The people we go to church with are very nice. The general attitude is very easy going.

The Amish community of Yoder is close by. They have several quaint stores: fabric, candles, homemade crafts. We really like the family style restaurant they operate called "Carriage Crossing".

Hutch is only 45,000 people, but we do host the Kansas State Fair, have a Cosmosphere, Salt Mine Museum, the Dillon Nature Center, a small zoo and a lot of grain elevators. We have a mall, Target, Walmart, Sears, JC Penny, Orschlein, Hobby Lobby, movie theater, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

If you are looking for places like Best Buy or Olive Garden, you will need to drive to Wichita which is about 40 minutes away.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 3,799,220 times
It is the kind of town you get sent to in the Witness Protection program. Not even the most hardcore mob assassin would think someone would willingly choose to live there and if they did, killing them would be a courtesy.

It is like being in the world's most boring prison without a release date.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:17 PM

6,545 posts, read 11,106,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
I currently live in Hutchinson (locals call it Hutch). We moved here last May and our neighbors have been wonderful. They helped me move in, borrow tools, gave us some of the vegetables they grew, and spoil our young kids. The people we go to church with are very nice. The general attitude is very easy going.

The Amish community of Yoder is close by. They have several quaint stores: fabric, candles, homemade crafts. We really like the family style restaurant they operate called "Carriage Crossing".

Hutch is only 45,000 people, but we do host the Kansas State Fair, have a Cosmosphere, Salt Mine Museum, the Dillon Nature Center, a small zoo and a lot of grain elevators. We have a mall, Target, Walmart, Sears, JC Penny, Orschlein, Hobby Lobby, movie theater, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

If you are looking for places like Best Buy or Olive Garden, you will need to drive to Wichita which is about 40 minutes away.
The happiest years of my youth were spent as a small child in Hutch. McCandless Elementary School was the last remotely pleasant educational experience I would have in life until college. If I ever am able to move back to Kansas (when one is married to an Alaskan who equally wants to move back to her home, it's not so simple), I would certainly go back to Hutch.

As for the Carriage Crossing, it rules. There's nothing like a total immersion in Yoders, Schrocks and Unruhs to let you know you're truly in Reno County. One thing that surprises people not used to living near Anabaptist communities (which certainly doesn't describe anyone who's lived in Hutch) is the wide variety of types of Amish and Mennonites. Out here in eastern WA, Hutterites and German Baptists live mainly in their own communities; in Hutch, Mennonite churches are in town and for many it's like being Lutheran, Presbyterian, whatever. Others, like up in Galva, wear the bonnet and other distinctive dress. I am not sure if Yoder is mostly Old Order Amish, but I am pretty sure they're in that area, because my best bud from grade school was urban Mennonite and his dad had been raised Old Order Amish in the area.

Do they still make Iron Horse BBQ up in Galva? Wonderful stuff. Everyone I have given some to has raved about it--I brought back a couple cases on a visit. Now that's truly a taste of Kansas.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 PM

6,545 posts, read 11,106,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
It is the kind of town you get sent to in the Witness Protection program. Not even the most hardcore mob assassin would think someone would willingly choose to live there and if they did, killing them would be a courtesy.

It is like being in the world's most boring prison without a release date.
Do you live there now, and if so, why do you stay? Not encouraging you to leave, just curious why anyone would remain in a place they so despised.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 PM

64 posts, read 255,850 times
I lived in Hutchinson for 17 years and loved it. It has small town values and you can do your basic shopping without having to drive to Wichita. The public schools are good and if you like to golf, you will be in heaven. I have also lived in Wichita and much preferred Hutchinson. I currently live in a town of about 15,000 in South Carolina and would seriously consider moving back if the opportunity presented itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas