Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:45 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,300,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
People who live in areas where wind whips up dust storms that leave a fine coating of grit on everything. The dominant soil in our area is what is called loess--windblown silt--and it definitely has its downside when the wind kicks up. Then there's having to pour almost two hundred pounds of cement and rocks into fence post holes to help them stand periodic 70mph wind (and even then having to go out some years and shore up leaners).

I don't dislike the wind, but I can see why some people do.
Wow -- someone here knows about loess! LOL! You are SO right about that. I've never seen erosion take place so quickly during a hard rain -- which we've always had right after we've seeded a new lawn . It just poofs away, leaving all that lovely compacted clay behind, and the water sits on top of it for way too long.

If you want to know when we're about to get a gullywasher, just check to see when we've put down fescue seed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,704,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I don't care for Kansas either but Kansas City Mo is known as a Cow Town, Cows from Kansas

Is that even a complete thought? Seriously?

KC is a cowtown. The town basically grew because of the stockyards and railroads, it boomed and became a large city overnight.

But as stated above, the city is no longer a cowtown. The stockyards are gone, the slaughter houses are gone, most of the giant grain elevators are also gone.

Even though KC does hold on to some of this history such as having the annual american royal and livestock show, the city really has very little cowtown left in it. Nothing like Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, Omaha or even Denver which all have larger annual rodeos or still have a "cowboy" culture to at least some degree.

KC has become a white collar city where telecommunications and engineering thrive. The city is the biggest engineering /architecture firm city in the world with several of the top 20 firms headquarterd in the metro. The metro is home to the world headquarters for Sprint, H&R Block, Hallmark Cards, American Century among others and is quickly becoming a powerhouse in pharmaceuticals and medical research.

And I disagree with you Samantha, KC IS a large, cosmopolitan, urban city. It’s no Chicago or San Francisco, but the city offers just as much urbanity, entertainment options, culture etc than any city its size and many cities that are much larger. KC is comparable to St Louis, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Denver etc and can really give cities like Dallas, Phoenix and Atlanta a run for their money.

It’s too bad you don’t think so but this is probably KC’s biggest problem. It has a huge inferiority complex. I’ll be the first to admit, I hate it when people assume I’m from a some dusty small town in kansas, when I’m from a major city, but I’ll also be the first to tell somebody that KC is an amazing town that can blow your socks off it you let it and as a person that shows KC potential transplants all the time, the city really does blow people away, it’s so much more than what they would ever expect. Most people that live in KC have no idea what the city offers, so I would't expect those same people to be impressed or be able to impress others.

Anyway, sorry to get this great thread so far off topic.

Back to what we hate about Kansas!

Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,476,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
And I disagree with you Samantha, KC IS a large, cosmopolitan, urban city. It’s no Chicago or San Francisco,
Which is what I was saying.

Quote:
but the city offers just as much urbanity, entertainment options, culture etc than any city its size and many cities that are much larger. KC is comparable to St Louis, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Denver etc and can really give cities like Dallas, Phoenix and Atlanta a run for their money.
I don't disagree with that (with the exception of St. Louis, but I won't quibble) but again -- what is the contest about? What "money" are we "running" for?

I love Kansas City. It's a great city. Not too big, lots of things to see and do. I wouldn't call it "cosmopolitan" but maybe we define that differently.

It's no Chicago, San Fran, DC, New York, etc. But for good reason! And I'm just as glad for all the things it isn't!

I'm also happy enjoying it from a short distance. I don't wish to live an urban lifestyle. I prefer to live in Kansas, with more of a small-town/suburban setting and so I think I have the best of both worlds.

Quote:
It’s too bad you don’t think so but this is probably KC’s biggest problem. It has a huge inferiority complex.
Yes -- I'm well aware that I'm the city's biggest problem, you keep telling me that.

I would argue that the city is happy being what it is. Certain people have huge inferiority complexes and wish that it were more than what it is.

Quote:
Back to what we hate about Kansas!
Well, it's no utopia.

I'm not a fan of harsh winters, so one day I will leave for a warmer climate.

I have more liberal social views than the majority of Kansans which can be tiring sometimes - but I understand from where the conservative and sometimes narrow views come -- and so I stopped being offended by them long ago.

Hmmm ... can't really think of anything else.

I love to visit the small KS towns - although I don't think I would ever live in one again.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:21 PM

211 posts, read 638,706 times
This might be a relevant thread in which to share a possibly entertaining anecdote about Kansas, the Wizard of Oz, and all that. I'm an Army brat who lived all over the world, only to end up graduating from high school in Hutchinson. Ugh. Ended up living in Kansas for just under ten years. In the end, I was working two jobs in order to save up money to GTFO.

Anyway, FFWD to 2006. My fiancée (now wife) is a "Zonie," born and raised in Arizona. Guess what her favorite movie might be. We're driving from Phoenix to KCMO to meet the rest of the family who's flown in to celebrate Christmas with her brother, who is pursuing his masters at UMKC. By 9AM, we're on the turnpike north of Wichita, doing 80mph through endless, rolling nothingness. She says to me, "It gets better, right? I say, "Not until up around Lawrence, Olathe, and all that." She says "You're kidding. This is it?"

She went back to sleep until we reached JoCo.

I've been gone for almost eight years, now. From time to time, I'll be honest, I kinda miss it. I'll see a Jayhawk sticker on a car around Phoenix and it will make me smile, but I don't miss the retarded wind, the muggy heat of summer, or the green clouds on a summer afternoon that signal my new car is about to get beat to hell by hail. I could never live in Kansas again. There are so many other states in the midwest that are pretty much identical to Kansas, but less isolated. When Kansas City and Oklahoma City are the two closest cities to you, you're really missing out.

Oh yeah, and you think the Oz comments are bad when you move to Kansas, you should hear them when you move out.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,128,221 times
Quote:
Believe me, they are trying to get out as fast as they can!

It's amazing how all those people would rather fight an hour of traffic on 435/470/71 etc twice a day to live on the MO side even though they work in KS isn't it?

!
No they are not trying to get out. There are Missouri cars EVERYWHERE in Johnson County, 7 days a week. Not just working, but shopping, eating and playing. I figure they don't want to pay Jo Co taxes so they live in Missouri, but they like hanging out in Johnson County. My husband said we need just one road, a toll road, in the Kansas City area where you can get from Kansas to Missouri, and it would cost to get into Kansas but you can go back to Missouri for free.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No they are not trying to get out. There are Missouri cars EVERYWHERE in Johnson County, 7 days a week. Not just working, but shopping, eating and playing. I figure they don't want to pay Jo Co taxes so they live in Missouri, but they like hanging out in Johnson County. My husband said we need just one road, a toll road, in the Kansas City area where you can get from Kansas to Missouri, and it would cost to get into Kansas but you can go back to Missouri for free.
Here is why.

There are about 200-300 thousand people that live in western KCMO and are much closer to the suburbs of JoCo than driving clear out to similar restaurants and shopping in other major suburban areas like the Northland and Eastern Jackson County.

When I lived in Waldo and Brookside, we were in JoCo almost every day.

Walmart, Oak Park Mall, Leawood Town Center, etc etc.

Considering there is almost as many people living in western and southern KCMO as in JoCo and considering that there are millions of sq ft of office parks in JoCo that do bring people in from all over the metro, it's easy to see why there are always so many MO cars over there.

It's mostly a convenience issue and it also has a little to do with the fact that the MO side has nearly twice as many people as the KS side.

But come on, I was being a bit facetious.

If you drive around college blvd or Metcalf, the cars are nearly half MO plate any given time. I always found it amusing.

Rush hour in the area is even more pronounced as MO cars flood onto eastbound 435 while KS car flood off in the evenings and vise versa in the mornings.

Again, I have nothing against the county in general. We drive all over the metro all the time. Saw a movie at Barrywoods a week ago, saw another movie at the Palazzo last weekend. Just depends on what part of town we are in. Went to the Improv at Zona Rosa, then drove to MircoCenter in OP.

JoCo is not a bad place, I just don’t care for the anti KC attitude out there and maybe it’s not as bad in Shawnee or Lenexa or Merriam, but southern OP and most of Olathe and Leawood seem to have major issues with KCMO and MO in general.

For what it’s worth, there is a ton of JoCo cars downtown and in crown center and the plaza everyday as well.

We really are one metro, all the more reason for JoCo to start acting like it .

Although KCMO did elect that biggest moron for mayor, sometimes I wonder about this town .

Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 PM

378 posts, read 1,616,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
By 9AM, we're on the turnpike north of Wichita, doing 80mph through endless, rolling nothingness. She says to me, "It gets better, right? I say, "Not until up around Lawrence, Olathe, and all that." She says "You're kidding. This is it?"
Some people find beauty in the "nothingness". I'm sorry you don't.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
Some people find beauty in the "nothingness". I'm sorry you don't.
To be quite honest and coming from somebody that drives across the country on a regular basis, the scenery in KS is not bad at all.

I mean, I don't care for the state over all, I really don't think there is anything to do there.

But the state is not a bad state to drive across, especially the east side of the state and down through the flint hills.

I mean have you ever driven across Texas, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and many many others?

The eastern half of Colorado is much worse than anything in Kansas.

I like cities though so KS does nothing for me. But it's far from the worst state to drive across, far from it.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:47 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,227,302 times
Quote:
To be quite honest and coming from somebody that drives across the country on a regular basis, the scenery in KS is not bad at all.

I mean, I don't care for the state over all, I really don't think there is anything to do there.

But the state is not a bad state to drive across, especially the east side of the state and down through the flint hills.

I mean have you ever driven across Texas, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and many many others?

The eastern half of Colorado is much worse than anything in Kansas.

I like cities though so KS does nothing for me. But it's far from the worst state to drive across, far from it.

Agreed.
A drive through I-57 Illinois is about 10X as boring and monotonous as I-70 through Kansas.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,476,704 times
Quote:
JoCo is not a bad place, I just don’t care for the anti KC attitude out there and maybe it’s not as bad in Shawnee or Lenexa or Merriam, but southern OP and most of Olathe and Leawood seem to have major issues with KCMO and MO in general.

For what it’s worth, there is a ton of JoCo cars downtown and in crown center and the plaza everyday as well.

We really are one metro, all the more reason for JoCo to start acting like it

I've lived and worked all over JoCo, and I've been to every corner of our metro area for work or for fun in the last 2 decades I've lived here. And I firmly maintain that the "anti-KC attitude" that people in MO speak about is 10% legitimate but 10% blown out of proportion and 80% imagined on the part of those who feel slighted.

People who live and work in the burbs - obviously prefer the burbs. They probably aren't going to gush over any city - cosmo or otherwise. So their comments are likely more about city life vs burb life and of course they prefer things their way. Yet, so many people take this as a personal slam against their way of life. Get over it!

You like cities -- good for you!! I like cities sometimes. But for day to day living I prefer something quieter and more laid back. I wouldn't live anywhere other than where I do - it's perfect for us.

You go on and on about how JoCo doesn't treat KCMO as it should and how we all look down on the city. It's a bunch of garbage and it really gets tiring. (Almost as tiring as the eyerolls that KCMO people think I don't notice when they ask where I'm from and I tell them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas