U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:40 AM

378 posts, read 1,448,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchildinthecitiy View Post
The weather is not as bad as north states, but it is not good either. It is to dam red of a state. The bible thumpers are ignorant and arrogant, a bad combination for any thinking person. No shortage of Jesus is coming look busy billboards. Nothing to do even in cities like Wichita. The economy is going to hurt bad in the years to come. As the Air industry slows and the war slows, I have already seen everything from Sherwin Williams lay off whole shifts to Boeing start layoffs. Homes are now sitting on the market for up to a year and not selling. And the building is slowing from the last couple of years where it was a boom. Expectable really. If you are a working person and you have work here, it is ok for now. But no one in their right mind builds a retirement home here. And the GD taxes on property are ridiculous. Not even in the ball park for what you get. 3k a year with specials? Really? And you get sidewalks and a paved road. Woooo. And indoor plumbing. What a joke. I can see places like Wichita hurting big in the coming years. As the world shrinks and places like china start to cut orders and shut down factories, It has already started to happen, china just shut down thirty five toy factories, then they and other country’s will not be ordering those jets. And for those ostriches who think that the corporate jets will still be flying high, Well if you are that stupid go on believing in the tooth fairy and Santa also.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
upandrunning, is that you? Way to be a sockpuppet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 09:52 AM

3,326 posts, read 7,530,016 times
Johnson County.
Wind.
Weather that's a bit too extreme, even though I prefer changes in seasons.
Funny all the "too much of red state" responses. Maybe it's because I'm from the south, but Kansas really doesn't seem that conservative to me. Besides, I lean conservative/libertarian in politics anyway.
Johnson County.
Wyandotte County, but for different reasons than Johnson County.
There's some nice scenery in parts of the state, especially when the crops are in full bloom. Something about rolling hills of corn... other than that, Kansas isn't much to look at.
Jayhawks, and all their fans. Please get a life. Must you always wear school paraphernalia to Royals games... and the opera?

Old 12-27-2008, 01:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,191,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchildinthecitiy View Post
The weather is not as bad as north states, but it is not good either.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Well, define "bad". This morning we had hurricane force winds in Johnson County, KS. We were lucky to have only lost a few roof shingles, I guess, but it was a pretty scary way to wake up at 4:30am.

I never EVER experienced wind like that in "The Windy City"!

Oh, and then it poured rain in buckets for hours. Now it's iced up and about to snow. Thanks, but I'll take heavy snows like they have in Chicago. This business of having 65 degrees one day and 35 the next is just NUTS.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:23 PM

20,177 posts, read 34,528,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Well, define "bad". This morning we had hurricane force winds in Johnson County, KS. We were lucky to have only lost a few roof shingles, I guess, but it was a pretty scary way to wake up at 4:30am.

I never EVER experienced wind like that in "The Windy City"!

Oh, and then it poured rain in buckets for hours. Now it's iced up and about to snow. Thanks, but I'll take heavy snows like they have in Chicago. This business of having 65 degrees one day and 35 the next is just NUTS.

You are completely right about that. At least in the northern tier you don't have Spring transitioning to Winter during late December that often. Also, the windy conditions accompanied with those temperature swings gets harder to take over time IMHO.
That is just one of the reasons I live in a valley location now

Old 12-27-2008, 02:38 PM

12,618 posts, read 14,633,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Heck, it was worse than that. It was 68 yesterday by my reading, right now 29, wind chill 19 degrees. It was still warm at 5:00 this morning when my husband got dressed and ran outside to chase down our window well cover that he saw blow away.

I think your shingles are on my driveway. I will save them for you if you want to glue them back on or something.

Someone mentioned hating wind. Oh, I LOVE wind! I don't like piercing cold wind when I'm out in it, but I love to hear the cold wind whistling through the rafters in the winter, and I love the strong winds like we had this morning. I love the wind that comes before a thunderstorm. I love warm summer wind and the fall wind making the falling leaves swirl through yards and down the street. What kind of person doesn't like WIND?

Old 12-27-2008, 06:04 PM

6,564 posts, read 11,895,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
What kind of person doesn't like WIND?
People who live in areas where wind whips up dust storms that leave a fine coating of grit on everything. The dominant soil in our area is what is called loess--windblown silt--and it definitely has its downside when the wind kicks up. Then there's having to pour almost two hundred pounds of cement and rocks into fence post holes to help them stand periodic 70mph wind (and even then having to go out some years and shore up leaners).

I don't dislike the wind, but I can see why some people do.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 PM

12,618 posts, read 14,633,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
People who live in areas where wind whips up dust storms that leave a fine coating of grit on everything. The dominant soil in our area is what is called loess--windblown silt--and it definitely has its downside when the wind kicks up. Then there's having to pour almost two hundred pounds of cement and rocks into fence post holes to help them stand periodic 70mph wind (and even then having to go out some years and shore up leaners).

I don't dislike the wind, but I can see why some people do.
We had 70-80 mph winds here in Kansas City last night. I still like wind...

Old 12-27-2008, 09:53 PM

20,177 posts, read 34,528,325 times
The windiest areas of the country are also some of the least populated. We need to develop the 21st century transmission line infrastructure out on the High Plains so that we can transport electricity generated from wind farms to the population centers. Some high voltage transmission lines exist out there, but not enough given the exponential growth in wind energy development throughout the Plains.

Old 12-28-2008, 01:33 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,525,549 times
I should not reply to this, but I will...

I am from a large, urban city. Kansas City, Missouri.

I hate the fact that whenever I travel and I tell people where I am from, I am immediately labeled as a rural person that lives in a flat, brown, lifeless part of the country around very few people.

I don't like the Wizard of OZ, I have never lived on a farm or owned any livestock. I don’t care about KU and or wheat. I’m not conservative and not really religious at all.

I’m just a guy from the city.

I'm from a city, and 9 times out of ten, I'm from a much larger and urban city than the people that ask me what it's like to live in a place like Kansas.

So, I have to correct them and explain that I live in a city and that this city is in Missouri. This is a large city that has pro sports teams, museums, amusement parks, theater, etc. It’s a very liberal and democratic city. It’s very diverse and offers all the culture and entertainment you would ever want in a major city.

This "city" has skyscrapers, traffic jams and bus lanes. This “city” is set in a very forested area with rolling hills and even some steep bluffs and it built around rivers and is surrounded by many lakes.

This "city" has an urban core population density that rivals any mid sized city out there. This city of a half million people anchors a metropolitan area of well over 2 million people and even though there are suburbs on the Kansas side, almost everything that this city offers to tourists and locals alike, nearly everything that people think of when they think of “KC” is on the Missouri side. The stadiums, the zoo, the airport, the amusement parks, the arenas, the broadway plays, the fountains, the skyline…

So, please when this jet lands at KCI, please for the love of god, please say welcome to Kansas “City”, instead of welcome to Kansas.

I don’t want to be associated with the bible thumping, suburban loving, KCMO bashing, Jayhawk worshiping Kansans.

I’m from K”C”. And K”C”. Is a big, urban city that is nothing like the image that people have of Kansas.

There is lots more I dislike about Kansas but I won’t even go there.

So I want to say thank you Kansas for naming your state after a city in Missouri. Yes, few people know it, but KCMO was a city before Kansas was a state.

And then Wyandotte decided to rename itself to Kansas City as well because they thought it would help them grow as KCMO was booming at the time. Some things never change.

So to this day, everybody in the country is confused on why the hell KC is in Missouri and to this day, KC has a horrible image of the least respected state in the union instead of an image of an interesting, and sophisticated large urban city that it is.

KC will forever be associated with Kansas, tornados, banning the theory of evolution and Dorothy.

Thanks Kansas!

Last edited by kcmo; 12-28-2008 at 01:42 AM..

Old 12-28-2008, 02:15 AM

328 posts, read 1,235,211 times
Default well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I should not reply to this, but I will...

I am from a large, urban city. Kansas City, Missouri.

I hate the fact that whenever I travel and I tell people where I am from, I am immediately labeled as a rural person that lives in a flat, brown, lifeless part of the country around very few people.

I don't like the Wizard of OZ, I have never lived on a farm or owned any livestock. I dont care about KU and or wheat. Im not conservative and not really religious at all.

Im just a guy from the city.

I'm from a city, and 9 times out of ten, I'm from a much larger and urban city than the people that ask me what it's like to live in a place like Kansas.

So, I have to correct them and explain that I live in a city and that this city is in Missouri. This is a large city that has pro sports teams, museums, amusement parks, theater, etc. Its a very liberal and democratic city. Its very diverse and offers all the culture and entertainment you would ever want in a major city.

This "city" has skyscrapers, traffic jams and bus lanes. This city is set in a very forested area with rolling hills and even some steep bluffs and it built around rivers and is surrounded by many lakes.

This "city" has an urban core population density that rivals any mid sized city out there. This city of a half million people anchors a metropolitan area of well over 2 million people and even though there are suburbs on the Kansas side, almost everything that this city offers to tourists and locals alike, nearly everything that people think of when they think of KC is on the Missouri side. The stadiums, the zoo, the airport, the amusement parks, the arenas, the broadway plays, the fountains, the skyline

So, please when this jet lands at KCI, please for the love of god, please say welcome to Kansas City, instead of welcome to Kansas.

I dont want to be associated with the bible thumping, suburban loving, KCMO bashing, Jayhawk worshiping Kansans.

Im from KC. And KC. Is a big, urban city that is nothing like the image that people have of Kansas.

There is lots more I dislike about Kansas but I wont even go there.

So I want to say thank you Kansas for naming your state after a city in Missouri. Yes, few people know it, but KCMO was a city before Kansas was a state.

And then Wyandotte decided to rename itself to Kansas City as well because they thought it would help them grow as KCMO was booming at the time. Some things never change.

So to this day, everybody in the country is confused on why the hell KC is in Missouri and to this day, KC has a horrible image of the least respected state in the union instead of an image of an interesting, and sophisticated large urban city that it is.

KC will forever be associated with Kansas, tornados, banning the theory of evolution and Dorothy.

Thanks Kansas!
To start my response, I want to say that I was born and raised in the Detroit Metro area (population around 4 Million) and currently live in Chicago (City 3 Million, with suburbs 8 million). I also lived in Lenexa (I know, It's JOCO), but was in a serious relationship with a man who lived in KCMO, so I spent almost 100% of my time in KCMO.

You are right on a few parts: What kansas is associated with, the fact that people are pretty uneducated regarding KCMO, etc.

But: Kansas City Metro area is spread over 340 miles and 11 counties (I looked it up online). You can't expect to cover an area that big and have "two million people" versus the fact that well over three million live in Cook County, Illinois. I agree that KCMO between the River and Brookside/Waldo area is very diverse and city-fied. I also agree that is a great mid-sized city.

What really, really ruins KCMO is the suburbs and outlining areas. I hated Johnson County, their attitude towards KCMO, and the way that everyone from the suburbs in both MO and KS has nothing better to do then to preach the bible and spew their hate. Even in KCMO, everytime my boyfriend and I went to a gay bar it was full of straight bachelorette parties and other people observing the "freaks".

KCMO is a good mid-sized city, but until you get rid of the ultra-conservative suburbs (JOCO is a great example), people will never change their perception of it.

And I'm sorry, I have flown all over the country, flying into MCI (sorry, it's not KCI, no matter how much people in KC call it that) is depressing. You land in a big field and there is nothing around for miles and miles. Nothing made me sadder about living in KS then returning there from a trip elsewhere!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or