Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 08:21 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Michigan but have lived in several different states and 3 or 4 towns in Kansas. There are many misconceptions about moving "out" this way. This is not a safe haven away from it all - it is like most places not so do your research. Kansas is illegal immigrant friendly, gets ice storms (and doesn't have the equipment or money to take care of it the way they do in the north or northeast, the cost of health insurance is high, wages are low especially in the smaller towns, housing is cheaper but know what you are getting and just like everywhere else in the big city - you really don't want to live in a cheap house but smaller towns are fine. This is informative about the drug problems: Methamphetamine - Kansas Drug Threat Assessment. Right now, we are in Fort Scott, a little, financially depressed area that wants to be big and wants taxpayers to finance that so watch the taxes and the plans they have for the future. The small towns can be charming and if you like old houses, especially fixer-uppers - best prices in the country. You get a lot of complainers on here that there is nothing to do but not everyone needs a mall, theme park, even movie theaters, and such. A really good resource is from the Kansas library system: Blue Skyways - a service of the Kansas State Library. I hope the provided links are appropriate because they really are helpful. There are going to be trade-offs no matter where you go - make a list of your priorities in a new town and then research and be careful not to "settle" because moving is expensive and risky with this economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Boy you're a downer. You make Kansas sound like Detroit Metro. No one in Lawrence would agree with you.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:34 PM

165 posts, read 463,924 times
I just moved away from Leavenworth, KS (only got to live there 1 year due to military orders) but I rather enjoyed my time in Kansas...much, much more than I expected too actually.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM

116 posts, read 421,803 times
In small towns everyone knows your name, where you live and where you work or don’t work. Yes wages in small towns are low. However there are things small towns have to offer. Good schools, safe streets, and drug houses are few and far between.
One of the major ingredients of the drugs can be found on the farms. Some people, cooking drugs, move to small towns in Kansas thinking that they can disappear into the community. Wrong they are, they stick out like a sore thumb. We don’t want them in our town around our children and we call the cops. In the big cities no one wants to get involved they look the other way and hope the problem will go away. Until one night their child is killed in a drive-by. Then they want the cops to do something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas