U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,297 times

Advertisements

Saw a lot of negative comments about Topeka. How is the area south of SW 21st and west of SW Wanamaker Road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:34 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Topeka is a hellhole.

But since you have been sentenced to live there, the Wanamaker corridor is about the only area that is livable, and it's nothing but lower end midwestern suburban sprawl in that area, so it's not exactly great, but I guess you somebody could potentially live there and not want to commit suicide.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:59 AM

321 posts, read 1,054,720 times
It's a decent part of town. Topeka's not as bad as many posters here say. It's like any other medium sized city... it's got it's good and bad points.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM

1,662 posts, read 3,908,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Topeka is a hellhole.

But since you have been sentenced to live there, the Wanamaker corridor is about the only area that is livable, and it's nothing but lower end midwestern suburban sprawl in that area, so it's not exactly great, but I guess you somebody could potentially live there and not want to commit suicide.

Hey, kcmo! Get back to MO where you belong!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:53 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,493,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Hey, kcmo! Get back to MO where you belong!
Only if you stay away from the KCMO threads!

Nah, that wouldn't be any fun. Plus, you are ok in my book. We can't all agree on everything

Although, come on. Topeka? You have to admit...

Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:

Nah, that wouldn't be any fun. Plus, you are ok in my book. We can't all agree on everything

If Topeka had gotten the capitol AND the state University in the later part of the 19th century I think it would have more going for it than it does today.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:05 AM

1,662 posts, read 3,908,651 times
Quote:

Yeah, I do have to agree about Topeka -- but it's one of those things where it's okay for me to put it down, 'cuz I live here (in KS) -- but if an outsider ('speshly one o' dem dere MO-folk!) puts it down, I feel like I have to defend it!

Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 AM

62 posts, read 200,182 times
Topeka is a fine town. Ignore the fools that bash it. They just don't get it. We have our issues, Crazy City council, Crazy inbred church group.... But we have some fabu things too. Topeka Civic Theatre, Gage Park, Expo Center, Great Hospitals, Low cost Housing and decent job opportuniies.

Here is a link that will help you with the crime stats Topeka.org | City of Topeka Crime Stats (http://www.topeka.org/crimestats/Map.aspx - broken link)

If you need more information of buying a home... email me I'd love to help.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:33 PM

80 posts, read 216,508 times
Topeka has more going against it....than for it....in my book.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:33 PM

805 posts, read 1,742,527 times
I am not all that familiar with Topeka, but it has a neighborhood called Potwin that I find appealing.

Lots of old, classic houses; some brick streets, mature trees. The people I met there were very friendly and the type of people I'd want as neighbors. I was there for an outdoor community party in late summer a couple of years ago and a continuing downpour put the outdoor activities out of the question. But rather than let it kill the evening, people rolled with the punches and moved the affair into a community building (or was it a church?) where, as they say, a good time was had by all. The organizers struck me as flexible, fun loving types.

It is located just northeast of where 6th street changes from being an east-west street to a southeast-northwest street. Go to Google Maps and do a 'street view' tour of Woodlawn avenue north of Willow and you'll get a feel for it.

It is not an area for someone looking for Overland Park-type suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas