Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 06:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The good: Family friendly, cheap to live in, good schools, fairly safe (outside parts of Wichita and KCK), clean air, OK water, easy commutes with no traffic.
The bad: unless you work in agri business or an aircraft factory, the job scene absolutely sucks there. Finding a job in high tech is almost impossible there. The weather sucks almost year around with blazing hot summers and freezing winters and fierce storms in the spring. Finally, while you can find things to do, there is usually not much going on unless you live in the K.C. area. While Topeka and Wichita have some degree of "culture" , neither are cosmopolitian places.
Jobs are very plentiful in the KC area; for all disciplines.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 11,802 times
Well here I sit today visiting a brother in wichita and we got to the east side of wichita and had to turn back. took over an hour to drive the 7 miles back home.
I would have stayed in michigan if I wanted weather like this. At least there are hills and beautiful trees in the summer.
This just plain sucks and the idiots here have not got a clue how to drive, I need a hoe to do a house call.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:13 PM

61 posts, read 269,837 times
If you look at the data, the population of Kansas increased by 2/8% last year. Unlike some other parts of the country ( e.g. parts of upstate NY) there was not a decrease in the population. Kansas is a nice place to live, as with anywhere it just depends where you live and what you are looking for. No place is perfect.
http://www.ipsr.ku.edu/ksdata/ksah/population/2pop1.pdf

Old 12-22-2007, 05:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Jobs are very plentiful in the KC area; for all disciplines.
Not unless something has changed since I lived there- and it may have- but in the 1980s, tech jobs were hard to come by there.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:59 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Not unless something has changed since I lived there- and it may have- but in the 1980s, tech jobs were hard to come by there.
Yes, in the last 27 years, employment opportunities have greatly increased.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:01 PM

4 posts, read 34,678 times
I've lived in KS all my life, but I have also visited many other states. I love Kansas. I will be graduating soon and think I'm going to move to Colorado to have some fun (skiing, hiking, rafting, etc...), but I fully plan on moving back to KS when I decide to settle down. I think it is a great place to raise children..it's a comfortable place.

On the traffic comment-it's not bad at all! You can usually make it from the east to the west side of town in under 30 minutes. The whole city street system is mostly a grid, and once you figure it out you shouldn't have any problem navigating. I live just a little west of the city, there are wheat fields all around my house and I still get to enjoy the "city" with just a short drive.

There are a lot of bars downtown especially. Lots of churches. Lots of nice people.

I think you wouldn't have trouble finding your home here in Kansas

Old 12-25-2007, 01:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBananas View Post
I've lived in KS all my life, but I have also visited many other states. I love Kansas. I will be graduating soon and think I'm going to move to Colorado to have some fun (skiing, hiking, rafting, etc...), but I fully plan on moving back to KS when I decide to settle down. I think it is a great place to raise children..it's a comfortable place.

On the traffic comment-it's not bad at all! You can usually make it from the east to the west side of town in under 30 minutes. The whole city street system is mostly a grid, and once you figure it out you shouldn't have any problem navigating. I live just a little west of the city, there are wheat fields all around my house and I still get to enjoy the "city" with just a short drive.

There are a lot of bars downtown especially. Lots of churches. Lots of nice people.

I agree with all that. I would not have left if not for the fact that they had no jobs there that interested me. After the service I could not get any job in tech there. I tried Wichita, Kansas City and Salina and the closest I got was Dallas. The funny thing is that the company I worked for (Bellsouth) was bought last year by AT&T and, if I wanted to do so, I could come back to Kansas but my wife doesn't want to because she is not from there.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBananas View Post

I also agree, I live in Wichita and it is a really nice place. Easy to get around, very little traffic, three universities, a medical school, its own symphony and opera and several museams. Housing is affordable and there are many excellant public schools. The areas around Wichita are also really nice places to live. People are friendly.

Old 12-25-2007, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,607 times
Exclamation slow life? bored maybe...looks like trouble to me!

i have lived in kansas most of my life. i was raised in small towns and i have to say that for the most part, kansas is a pretty good place to live. however, let me say that i dont know what people do in the small towns of other states just to have fun and/or socializing that is healthy. just recently i ended a relationship with a guy that also always lived in small towns. he constantly complained that there was nothing that a young man could do to have fun. the same for competiveness. so and i hate to say this, but it is the truth, he set out to compete with the other men in the town. he took it upon himself to see how many of the wives of the townsmen that he could get to have sex with him. unfortunately, where he lived was Dodge City, Sublette and to add to the agony of the already distroyed town of Greensburg, kansas. yes folks, by what he told me....there are way too many to count. i feel sorry for the men of greensburg. this man had/has no boundries. but you cant blame him solely because the women there had to come to him. yep, he doesnt have any respect for women but worse than that, he has no self esteem obviously and he always waited for the women to make the move. so if you lived in Greensburg Ks in the years of 1984 and 1990, chances are, you either are, know, or was married to a woman that has slept with him. he was also married. in fact, to two different women during that time. he worked at an impliment/john deere dealership and tried to farm although he was unsuccessful at farming and had to leave his job for having sex with the bosses daughter who was still in high school at the time.
unfortunately, the majority of small town people are trusting of friends, family and even strangers and welcome the country style of hospitality. there isnt any such thing as a perfect place in which to live, but where you call home, where you are the most comfortable and trust your neighbors is probably what you are going to consider a good place to live. just remember that small towns offer alot of things and the slow pace can be as much as a negative as it seems to be a positive.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthless View Post
i have lived in kansas most of my life. i was raised in small towns and i have to say that for the most part, kansas is a pretty good place to live. however, let me say that i dont know what people do in the small towns of other states just to have fun and/or socializing that is healthy. just recently i ended a relationship with a guy that also always lived in small towns. he constantly complained that there was nothing that a young man could do to have fun. the same for competiveness. so and i hate to say this, but it is the truth, he set out to compete with the other men in the town. he took it upon himself to see how many of the wives of the townsmen that he could get to have sex with him. unfortunately, where he lived was Dodge City, Sublette and to add to the agony of the already distroyed town of Greensburg, kansas. yes folks, by what he told me....there are way too many to count. i feel sorry for the men of greensburg. this man had/has no boundries. but you cant blame him solely because the women there had to come to him. yep, he doesnt have any respect for women but worse than that, he has no self esteem obviously and he always waited for the women to make the move. so if you lived in Greensburg Ks in the years of 1984 and 1990, chances are, you either are, know, or was married to a woman that has slept with him. he was also married. in fact, to two different women during that time. he worked at an impliment/john deere dealership and tried to farm although he was unsuccessful at farming and had to leave his job for having sex with the bosses daughter who was still in high school at the time.
unfortunately, the majority of small town people are trusting of friends, family and even strangers and welcome the country style of hospitality. there isnt any such thing as a perfect place in which to live, but where you call home, where you are the most comfortable and trust your neighbors is probably what you are going to consider a good place to live. just remember that small towns offer alot of things and the slow pace can be as much as a negative as it seems to be a positive.
It sounds like he is sex addict and that has nothing to do with Kansas. It is him! Sorry that you crossed paths with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas