U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 AM

609 posts, read 1,097,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, but that's MISSOURI.

Missouri has tons of things to do and see. Tourism is a huge part of the Missouri economy. You have KC, St Louis, Branson, Lake of the Ozarks etc.

Kansas is dead last in tourism. That is a FACT. Poll after poll has shown that Kansas is the 50th state that people want to visit on vacation. 50th.

Now, I don't think the state is THAT bad. It's actually a pretty state. I can think of 10-15 other states that are far less appealing. Ever been to Indiana? Texas? But those states have cities in them. And those cities have things to do and see.

Kansas has Wichita and suburban KC.

Why would somebody from any other state vacation in Kansas? That is a serious question.

Nearly everything that Kansas is known for is actually in Missouri. Much of the country thinks the KC Royals and Chiefs are in KS. They think the downtown KC skyline is in KS. They think KCI is in Kansas. When people visit KC, and go to Plaza, they still donítí know what state they are in and many think they are in Kansas.

Kansas is a rural/suburban state. There is nothing wrong with that. Much of Kansas is quite pretty. The Flint Hills etc. There are things to do in Kansas. But they are mostly things that would only attract local people in the state or KC people that want to get away from the city. We have driven to Wichita before just to check it out. Why not? I have always wanted to go to the Cosmosphere and Space Center in Hutch, but itís just too far out of the way for me to justify it. I would rather drive to St Louis and have more than one thing to do after driving 4 hours. But itís there and people go there all the time. Do people from Omaha, Des Moines and Tulsa plan trips around the Cosmosphere? Probably not.

The state really needs to give up on trying to market the state as a tourism destination. Itís a waste of money. The state just doesnít compare when it comes to tourism. Sure, they will get the occasional tourists that want to see what Dodge City looks like. But 90% of Kansas tourists are only staying in the state to see attractions in KCMO. Accept it. Itís a fact.

If Kansas marketed the most important part of the state as what it is. A suburb of Kansas City, MO. They would be far more successful. When people (again, a lot of people think KC is in KS), ask the state for tourism info and the state sends them info on Nebraska Furniture Mart, Shopping Malls and the Agriculture Hall of Fame, many people probably think, screw that, nothing to do there, donít want to visit or live in Kansas.

But if the state marketed the area as a great place to stay while seeing all the attractions (that people might actually want to see) in KCMO and actually tell people about KCMO attractions even though they are in MO, then they might have something.

It's just like the Kansas tourism centers. Ever stopped at one? You enter the KC area on the Kansas side and stop at one of those places and it's like Worlds of Fun, the Nelson, the Royals, the Plaza are 1000 miles away. No info on them at all. I had to ask for a KC tourism guide and it was under the freaking counter, hidden. Tourists get info on the Tbones, the ag hall of fame, the JoCo performing arts center, oak park mall etc. People are going to get back in their cars and drive on to St Louis. It's no wonder the Olathe location closed. I have stopped in places like that is bistate areas all over the country and have never seen anything close. If you stop in tourism centers anywhere near a state border, you will get info on major attractions in the bordering state. Let alone the suburbs of a major city 15 miles from the border. Whatís really ironic is that even though there is little to do in KS vs MO, the MO tourism center near the stadiums has all the Kansas tourism guides easily visible.
Not that I don't disagree or even agree with you, but like a English teacher, I need the source so... Where is the source; the link?

Old 08-06-2009, 07:54 AM

25,094 posts, read 11,219,582 times
KSU has Coach Bill Snyder and that is enough for me. I loved going to K-State, and would not mind a road trip to Manhattan just to see one of the home games.

And maybe stop in at one of my old haunts.

I can't believe KCMO is complaining about a KS tourism stop not having a brochure for him ON THE COUNTER. And I don't feel a need for KS to be a top tourism destination to like KS. Give it a rest KCMO. Find something else to be unhappy about.
Here is a link for you to get ALL the KS brochures FOR FREE. Kansas Travel and Tourism Division, Kansas Department of Commerce Then you won't have to stop at the KS Tourism stops anymore to be rankled by their ineptitude.

In my 10 years of living in KS, I met so many good people I will always have good memories of the state. .

Old 08-06-2009, 08:10 AM

5,911 posts, read 4,987,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quesera View Post
Why's that? Anything outside the KCMO metro is unworthy of your time?
They don't take very kindly to outsiders in some of them parts,

Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 PM

3,977 posts, read 2,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Um ... no ... what you said was "There really isn't much in Kansas," which isn't true.

Then you said, "Nearly everything that Kansas is known for is actually in Missouri," which is just really ignorant and arrogant. "Not an insult, just a fact."

Then you said, "But if the state marketed the area as a great place to stay while seeing all the attractions (that people might actually want to see) in KCMO ..." which is just laughably silly. YOU may think of "the most important part of the state as [a] suburb of Kansas City, MO." But we who live here don't view it that way.

This is QUITE untrue.

We're not stupid, kcmo. As I said, it's not news to anyone that KS isn't a top destination point for tourists. It never will be and no one is kidding anyone about that. But that doesn't mean that there is nothing here to see and do. Redbird put it beautifully, " KS does not have to be a destination to be enjoyed."

And FWIW, the Cosmosphere is visited as a destination by people from neighboring states all the time. As are many of the historical sites all over the state. No, people don't spend a week at them, but they will go out of their way to see them or at least stop on their way to someplace else.

You are entitled to your opinion, kcmo, but you should know that it comes across with the kind of arrogance that you often accuse us Kansans of having.
Lol!

This guy never gets tired, does he? I pop back in here to this forum every couple of weeks or so. And today? Sure enough - another thread with a kcmo rant.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:33 PM

5,911 posts, read 4,987,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Lol!

This guy never gets tired, does he? I pop back in here to this forum every couple of weeks or so. And today? Sure enough - another thread with a kcmo rant.
A paid Poster maybe? , I have heard of this but in conjunction with political campaigns

Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 AM

4 posts, read 3,885 times
is it just me or does people from wichita have big eyes, and a lot of the people are built like mutants. i know your laughing but its true. ive been here a year and this city is the bottom of the barrel. i mean no disrepect to wichitans but the majority of the people here wear prescription glasses, thats kinda of the trend here but its actually very strange. everyone makes jokes about one another or talk about one another in order to make themselves feel good here, its really bad, you could drive up in a convertible bentley and they would have something bad to say about that. this town is like crabs in a bucket. the people are really physically ugly just take a look when drive through the city today. you can tell the people that are from here and the ones who are not. the ones from here are probly driving a piece of **** car and making fun of a nice car, people not from here look established but they look lost and wondering how they ended up in your city. and why do wichitans hate people from KC so much? KC HAS 100 TIMES the class this town has. Kansas citians dont even know where wichita is when i tel them where i live. ive been all around the globe and this city has more envious people then any where i have been. we are moving to sarasota, florida in march cant wait. im just stating an opinion but overall i pray from all men, women, and children. God bless.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:36 AM

377 posts, read 1,071,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscool View Post
is it just me or does people from wichita have big eyes, and a lot of the people are built like mutants. i know your laughing but its true. ive been here a year and this city is the bottom of the barrel. i mean no disrepect to wichitans but the majority of the people here wear prescription glasses, thats kinda of the trend here but its actually very strange. everyone makes jokes about one another or talk about one another in order to make themselves feel good here, its really bad, you could drive up in a convertible bentley and they would have something bad to say about that. this town is like crabs in a bucket. the people are really physically ugly just take a look when drive through the city today. you can tell the people that are from here and the ones who are not. the ones from here are probly driving a piece of **** car and making fun of a nice car, people not from here look established but they look lost and wondering how they ended up in your city. and why do wichitans hate people from KC so much? KC HAS 100 TIMES the class this town has. Kansas citians dont even know where wichita is when i tel them where i live. ive been all around the globe and this city has more envious people then any where i have been. we are moving to sarasota, florida in march cant wait. im just stating an opinion but overall i pray from all men, women, and children. God bless.
Are you... drunk?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:03 AM

2,732 posts, read 4,221,482 times
Always Cool, What the hell are you talking about?
Big eyes?Prescription glasses?Hatred of KC?
Wichita has a large population of low income folks other than that..
Im not sure what youre talking about.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:33 AM

1,662 posts, read 2,735,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Always Cool, What the hell are you talking about?
Big eyes?Prescription glasses?Hatred of KC?
Wichita has a large population of low income folks other than that..
Im not sure what youre talking about.
I'm thinking of a word. It starts with a T and it rhymes with "schmroll".

Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 AM

15,194 posts, read 20,727,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscool View Post
is it just me or does people from wichita have big eyes, i mean no disrepect to wichitans but the majority of the people here wear prescription glasses,
I think you are referring to people who wear large 1980s aviator glasses? I see these more commonly in towns/cities dominated by manufacturing industries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas