Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:43 PM

33 posts, read 203,846 times

Advertisements

Here are some more pictures of wichita and topeka.

Topeka

http://www.kansascommerce.com/Portals/0/Topeka%20Syline%20at%20Night%20with%20Photo%20Cred it.jpg (broken link)

Wichita

http://wichitapropertyguide.com/img/wichita-kansas-real-estate.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 AM

31 posts, read 109,852 times
I have never been to either WITHchita or WITCHita so I really couldn't say.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:56 AM

31 posts, read 109,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKellyS View Post
I have never been to either WITHchita or WITCHita so I really couldn't say.
p.s. sorry, I am not normally a spelling nazi but this is sort of a pet peeve of mine, so ignore me .

Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 AM

536 posts, read 1,538,264 times
I've lived in Wichita over 4 years. I was from Austin, TX. Austin has Wichita beat in terms of things to do and a huge variety of outdoor activities. Here I feel I'm much limited due to weather. On the plus side, Wichita's cost of living is much lower than Austin. You can actually rent a decent apt for $350 a month here while the same apt would go for $600-800 easily.

As for Topeka, I got a job offer there today. Will go visit the town and decide before I do anything rash.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:07 PM

145 posts, read 609,850 times
Update: I am back in Wichita and glad to be out of Topeka. Maybe it would have been better if my husband had gotten a job there. But we are now in Derby and it makes Andover and Topeka living seem like a bad dream.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:03 PM

90 posts, read 113,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer_195 View Post
I think Witchita is more civilized. More to do, great airport, great entertainment. Topeka is just the dried up capital of Kansas and that's all. Witchita is a thriving vibrant city, I think you should look at the statistics before you judge a major city.

Ok Wichita is much better, but what the hell.... Wichita is no thriving vibrant city nor major they are both depressing cities in Kansas. KC blows both out of the water. Now KC is a major, thriving, vibrant city not Wichita.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:35 PM

733 posts, read 1,755,830 times
While I'd like to live near the mountains, I think Wichita's cost of living will keep me here for quite some time. I enjoy the medium to big size cities, and it's tough to find affordable larger cities that aren't full of crime. I am a sports fan and while we don't have any professional sports teams, we do an NHL affiliated hockey team and will likely soon have an affiliated baseball team. Semi-professional teams are good enough for me. Crime can be bad, but I feel like Topeka is much worse. Topeka almost has twice the murder rate per capita that Wichita has. I was born in Topeka but only lived there for the first two years of my life. I do go to Topeka a couple of times a year but there's nothing that will make me move back. Wichita isn't the most desirable place to live by any means, but I don't see how one can claim that it's worse than Topeka.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:32 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
While I'd like to live near the mountains, I think Wichita's cost of living will keep me here for quite some time. I enjoy the medium to big size cities, and it's tough to find affordable larger cities that aren't full of crime. I am a sports fan and while we don't have any professional sports teams, we do an NHL affiliated hockey team and will likely soon have an affiliated baseball team. Semi-professional teams are good enough for me. Crime can be bad, but I feel like Topeka is much worse. Topeka almost has twice the murder rate per capita that Wichita has. I was born in Topeka but only lived there for the first two years of my life. I do go to Topeka a couple of times a year but there's nothing that will make me move back. Wichita isn't the most desirable place to live by any means, but I don't see how one can claim that it's worse than Topeka.
I’ve lived in Topeka for almost 25 years and I lived in Wichita almost 6 years including college. Wichita is basically a bigger version of Topeka. They are very similar except Wichita has more amenities due to size. Topeka has a lower crime rate, but we have had high murder rates the last couple years. This year is a record high after hitting a record low just 3 years ago. We went from 6 to 28 in just a few years.

The population difference is too big to make a fair comparison as far as what there is to do. As far as cost of living and crime, they are similar and it will all depend on where one chooses to live in the cities.

I personally wouldn’t move back to Wichita, but it’s not bad place and most of my close friends live there. If I was to move to a larger city, I’d move to KC.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:26 AM

121 posts, read 105,793 times
Wichita is VERY economically depressed. Even the office work isn't a good fall back guarantee any more which is best college educated in Wichita could find. Is tons of dirty business dealing and ruining people even in the business networking... too many jobs screwing people out every 4-6 months with unemployment denied as a routine. Is local 'scam'...Colleges not all that good as having trouble with employees harassing out some students, but is going on at Emporia and Lawrence too. If you are looking for career, only Mr. Koch and the aircraft plants are offering any 'career' work for college education. Rest of Wichita is desperately poor restaurant/retail workers begging at work and stealing with the college educated ones who stayed having to take this work to get by...Some are abandoning free housing they inherited for better opportunities.

Topeka may just be the better choice. Has VERY cheap home values in pretty good areas with well made housing starting to get a bit run down after older residents moved to nursing care and slumlords took over the area driving down home values for all...But will see the children harassing new residents in groups called 'gang stalking' which goes on in KC too. If you want to buy/rent would ALWAYS recommend walking around the neighborhood for a few blocks on weekend when crowded and people are home to see how the locals treat new people...If you get threatened, just say "I'm just visiting" and walk away. Is not safe to live around this behavior as next you get vandalisms, burglaries, thefts and threats of harm. Cops don't stop this kind of stuff when it stops either...Can be safe to work around this kid behavior but NEVER want to get confrontational as situation gets so bad the military will run away from Leavenworth due to this stuff...

For careers, cannot beat the tech and arts boom of KC. However affordable housing can be VERY threatening, even in the nice areas due to Section 8 apartments in all areas. Really have to stick to farther outskirts of town for safe housing and schools that make literate students. KC school system is a failure and many workers are semi-illiterate in KC. Is TONS of demand for skilled or educated workers from outside the area. Walk the neighborhood on weekend before you rent for your own safety as cops don't really deter any crime, just make revenue from tickets. KC drug trade is just another small business the cops ignore btw.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:18 AM

374 posts, read 562,553 times
Please provide a link for your term "gang stalking." Google doesn't provide anything along the lines of your definition on the 1st page of About 365,000 results (0.52 seconds) IF I narrow the search to C-D.com, About 148 results (0.42 seconds), most dealing with the term's other, wider, usage. There was one post with this:

KC and suburbs North do have gangs of up to 10 kids harassing the new adults. Even some of the military have been run off by this in Leavenworth. If this ever happens to you, seems best to never speak up and just keep moving. I had this happen while alone and just out walking, but kids quit after a couple days. Sometimes solo kids will confront someone, seems to work best to ignore them. I would look at the ground and not make eye contact for long to avoid it... This is called gang stalking...[domain blocked due to spam].com for KC has some information on it if you want to look.

No results found for "gang stalking" site:kansascity.com.

Urban Dictionary: gang stalking
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ang%20stalking
Gang Stalking is really a covert government or police investigation. It's similar to Cointelpro or red squads, and it's being used on a lot of innocent people to ruin them and make them look crazy. Gang Stalking is all about government disinformation, and using civilian spies/snitches to help with stalking and monitoring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas