U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,820,749 times

Advertisements

Thinkining of moving to this area,anyone from here,can give me some info?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,160,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Thinkining of moving to this area,anyone from here,can give me some info?
Junction city of course has a lot of military singles and families (whether you consider that a plus or minus)

Abilene is more of a small town. I like it as a town better than JC, but it depends on what you're looking for in a town.

JC is closer to Manhattan where K-State Univ is (I'd consider that a plus)
Abilene is a quieter and smaller town (whether you consider that a plus or minus) but is close to other towns for major shopping excursions etc.

Hmmm, can't think of anything else offhand. I like Abilene better because it's a little more charming and smaller/quieter. But that may not be what you like.

What are your priorities for a town?

Old 08-15-2009, 06:54 PM

10 posts, read 56,940 times
my kids go to junction city middle school. we live in milford, close to junction city. i love the big milford lake, lots of things to do - fishing, hunting, hiking, swimming and camping. junction city is closer to the lake.

i have been three times to abilene. it looks really nice. but we wanted to be closer to the lake.

hope that helps.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:31 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,820,749 times
Thanks! We have 3 kids,so the lake & etc sounds like a big plus. Also wondering about the job market in the area, also where we live in eastern Kansas, there ae lots of trees,forests,etc. Is that area more prarie?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 AM

321 posts, read 1,122,530 times
Not yet. There are still quite a few trees in that part of the state, though, it's not like what we have in NE Ks.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:42 PM

48 posts, read 312,275 times
I have lived in JC 2 times and I haven't had any problems. The crime as far as I know is low. Its a lot of military in this town which is a good thing. My husband is in the Army. I honestly havent seen a place in JC that I wouldn't drive threw. The town is getting larger as the Army base is getting bigger and more soldiers are coming into the area. There is a lot of new housing but there's not to many restaurants usually me and my husband go to Manhattan, Topeka or Salina. I really like it in Kansas since its a lot slower pace then in the east coast where I am from. I don't know to much about Abilene sorry.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM

48 posts, read 312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Thanks! We have 3 kids,so the lake & etc sounds like a big plus. Also wondering about the job market in the area, also where we live in eastern Kansas, there ae lots of trees,forests,etc. Is that area more prarie?
And the job market that I have seen is going great. Since the military families tend not to feel the ressession and we have a guaranteed paycheck the economy around base hasn't slowed down and I think I heard on the news that the areas around Fort Riley are booming since the base is getting so big. I found a job working for the school and there's plenty of other jobs that Im sure you can do and it all depends on what your looking for. As far as trees I think there's a good amount of mature tress but since the ice storm that happened a couple of years ago we have went from 5 trees in our yard down to one and that last tree is dying which sucks. But there are plenty of trees still standing but as far as prarie I dont' know

Old 08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Status: "Biden = Chinese, The Official Language of the USA" (set 28 days ago)

21,167 posts, read 17,004,213 times
Be aware that housing in the area since the Big Red 1 came back is high so if you will be buying or renting, look at the wages. Wages are always good on post but the local economy doesn't offer those kind of wages or if they do, that would something new. Abilene is a nice place to visit. I like Milford as we loved the lake and camping. When looking at houses in JC, make sure you look the neighbors over and keep in mind that lower prices have a reason. It is big enough to have neighborhoods that have more than their share of trouble - that is what attracts us to smaller towns. My husband grew up in JC and we hope to return to that area for a few years when the economy improves or housing prices go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas