Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 06:37 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times

Advertisements

I read this article a couple of times to really try to understand what it was saying: Kansas governor rescinds order protecting gay state workers I would have to agree that I don't think a unilateral decision should have been done by Sebelius (I never had any use for her) regarding the issue and generally, considering how people feel about Obama making unilateral decisions, I don't think a lot of people do agree with such a behavior from a public official.

Newsflash, I worked in federal civil service for 8 years and I can tell you that they find ways around all the anti-discrimination laws. I watched them do it and it becomes an "art". Not that complicated either once you get the scoop. And, sadly, those that "play it" and use it in order to milk the system, its not because they were late for work, incompetent for work, harassing other employees, etc. but because they are _________ (fill in the blank) and this causes everyone's anger about the whole "protected class" deal.

As everyone knows, same-sex couples may now marry in Kansas. Seriously, I often don't get why KS is so targeted as anti-gay because the day to day reality here seems to be different than the picture painted.

I did read a comment on another forum that said this was Brownback trying to distract us from our major revenue shortfall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I read this article a couple of times to really try to understand what it was saying: Kansas governor rescinds order protecting gay state workers I would have to agree that I don't think a unilateral decision should have been done by Sebelius (I never had any use for her) regarding the issue and generally, considering how people feel about Obama making unilateral decisions, I don't think a lot of people do agree with such a behavior from a public official.

Newsflash, I worked in federal civil service for 8 years and I can tell you that they find ways around all the anti-discrimination laws. I watched them do it and it becomes an "art". Not that complicated either once you get the scoop. And, sadly, those that "play it" and use it in order to milk the system, its not because they were late for work, incompetent for work, harassing other employees, etc. but because they are _________ (fill in the blank) and this causes everyone's anger about the whole "protected class" deal.

As everyone knows, same-sex couples may now marry in Kansas. Seriously, I often don't get why KS is so targeted as anti-gay because the day to day reality here seems to be different than the picture painted.

I did read a comment on another forum that said this was Brownback trying to distract us from our major revenue shortfall.
While it's true that anti-discrimination laws are really only ceremonial fluff (like you said, if they want to get rid of you, they'll figure out a way), it tells me a lot about a state when there are zero protections on the books and the governor is extremely anti-gay. We know Brownback is angry that gay couples can marry in Kansas now, and I do suspect his latest move was in retaliation.

Here in Colorado, we had civil unions before the courts basically forced SS marriage on the state. Our governor supported full SS marriage, and you heard little complaint once it became law. Colorado Republicans basically shrugged and said it's a topic that's now off the table, done, over. And in Colorado, state law prohibits even private companies from discriminating against gay people. So the tone is much more positive here for gay people, compared to Kansas.

We know Phred and his klan don't represent all Kansan's views on gay people, but it's unfortunately a scar on the state that helps make it look like a bad place for gay people to live.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
I am very much on the side of marriage equality/LGBT support, I find Brownback's move pretty insulting as a KS resident. If you want to use the rationale that protection from discrimination should not be codified by an executive order, but rather by action in the legislature...I would be on board with it because I actually agree with that statement. However, Brownback is using that excuse as a smokescreen to pander to his base when economic times are tough. He has no intention of promoting any anti-discrimination protections through the legislative process.

What he doesn't realize is that support for LGBT issues is predominant with the youth, and even people in my age bracket (30s). I'm a straight, married male and know very few people in my age bracket who are against marriage equality - and that includes people who are otherwise politically conservative. Brownback can pander to the older generations' mentality for now, but as the demographics shift and support for marriage equality continue to shift it just seems rather short-sighted.

I feel that where I live in Eastern JOCO is not representative of this mentality. We have gay couples in our neighborhood, and as one friend of mine (a realtor) told me...the area around Old Leawood is modernizing demographically as the older folk die off...there is hope for the rest of Kansas yet...

Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Do you ever wonder if Brownback doesn't say what he says to get elected and to stay in favor with those that elected him after the fact? He is "in place" for the purpose of BIG business and you can bet every stupid word coming out of his mouth is planned and practiced. We all have a pretty good idea of the types of people that elect him and we also know how our speech would go if we were trying to be elected in Kansas if we really wanted to win the election. After following him for all these years, I do not believe that his stance on gay marriage or abortion have anything to do with religious convictions but with getting elected and staying popular enough with those groups that elected him while satisfying his BIG business cronies. I'm betting his "church" is nothing more than a social vehicle also. I was going to say that he was a rat or a snake, but I actually have more respect for those critters than to make that comparison, seriously.

A lot of money was wasted on trying to prevent gay marriage, money better spent on one of the other desperate needs in the state. Gays being allowed to marry in KS has not had an effect on me, not my attitude toward gays, not my attitude toward marriage and not my attitude about the old Brownback!

Thanks for the responses. I had read some on another forum and, well, the people were just jabbering and defending their "side" rather than the issues actually involved.

Old 02-13-2015, 01:21 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
We know Phred and his klan don't represent all Kansan's views on gay people, but it's unfortunately a scar on the state that helps make it look like a bad place for gay people to live.
People using the WBC to go after Kansas are generally doing it for politics which is especially ironic given Fred's history with Al Gore etc.

It's small-minded political bigotry because the state votes heavily for the "other party".

No different than the right wingers that go after everything Chicago or California etc.

Now do I like the general atmosphere toward gays in parts of this state and country? No, not at all.
I just get tired of all the politicizing of it for axe grinding.

P.S. We also still get grief over "evolution" even though it was never changed in the state....we just temporarily had some fundies sneak onto a school board and to our states credit we stripped them of power and immediately voted them out.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
People using the WBC to go after Kansas are generally doing it for politics which is especially ironic given Fred's history with Al Gore etc.

It's small-minded political bigotry because the state votes heavily for the "other party".

No different than the right wingers that go after everything Chicago or California etc.

Now do I like the general atmosphere toward gays in parts of this state and country? No, not at all.
I just get tired of all the politicizing of it for axe grinding.

P.S. We also still get grief over "evolution" even though it was never changed in the state....we just temporarily had some fundies sneak onto a school board and to our states credit we stripped them of power and immediately voted them out.
I'm agreeing with you here... The Phelps' don't represent Kansans (nor are they from Kansas) but people in other parts of the country don't know that.

Old 02-22-2015, 10:08 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I'm agreeing with you here... The Phelps' don't represent Kansans (nor are they from Kansas) but people in other parts of the country don't know that.
True. That's why I also like the looks on their face when they find out he was a former civil rights lawer....and Al Gore fundraiser....but later protested at Gore's fathers funeral.

Me personally, I like the Phelps. Sayyyyy what?

They've done a huge service to gay rights by being the naked ugly face or ridiculous bigotry.
They actually made it incredibly uncool to be anti-gay and probably had some not inconsequential role in the shifting attitudes towards gays around the country.

I know my folks have come around on the topic, maybe not all the way but quite a distance and I think it's because of people like the Phelps that made them re-evaluate a true Christian attitude shouldn't be hate.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:59 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
True. That's why I also like the looks on their face when they find out he was a former civil rights lawer....and Al Gore fundraiser....but later protested at Gore's fathers funeral.

Me personally, I like the Phelps. Sayyyyy what?

They've done a huge service to gay rights by being the naked ugly face or ridiculous bigotry.
They actually made it incredibly uncool to be anti-gay and probably had some not inconsequential role in the shifting attitudes towards gays around the country.

I know my folks have come around on the topic, maybe not all the way but quite a distance and I think it's because of people like the Phelps that made them re-evaluate a true Christian attitude shouldn't be hate.
Those whose viewpoints are swayed by what's "cool" and uncool" had no viewpoint to begin with.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:24 AM

152 posts, read 208,743 times
AnywhereElse,

You are so right about government employment. The number of discrimination scams and harassment in govt employment almost mirror's the REAL lifestyle of the politicians. Govt runs so many scams & harassment campaigns on the employers, especially females, it really is very similar to the crap politicians pull in their personal lives and manage to bully people into covering.

Myself and several friends dealt with the sexual harassment, the whole office had to navigate to work in some of these government offices. It was so bad, it was like a regular show pulled with the new hires and the women in the office helped the newbies navigate in order to entertain the screwed up management or office sexual harasser who tries to get his jollies on all the new hires. Most government offices are hiding these. The rest of the harassment picks the discrimination approach to entertain the management on other people.

I'm sorry. There is no excuse, except things are just that screwed up in the US. Realize anyone screwed out of corporate or government jobs is almost always denied unemployment because management tries to get a few write-ups to ditch someone they don't want. Some of the government offices leave some employees allowed to steal from others or mess with other's work so...this is just the US culture. Built up the emergency fund so you can walk away from this and not have to stay & deal with the demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
View detailed profiles of: