U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:34 AM

277 posts, read 1,173,770 times

Advertisements

So sad to see this happen. Greensburg had some cool stuff going on: an old drugstore with a real soda fountain that hadn't been screwed up. wooden booths with marble topped tables, a great deco counter with tile and chrome stools. Last time I was there I was with my sister. I had a chocolate shake and she had a 400. *sigh*

they also had an old church that had been turned into an antique mall. man, there was a ton of stuff in there. And, they even had a small store that had locally produced foods, arts & crafts. And Starla's frame shop!

my heart goes out to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,911,248 times
Went to Greensburg yesterday to help out. The place looks like a landfill on level ground. Shot ladys pushing around shpping carts to give out tetnaus shots. Food men with shopping carts giving out water,sandwiches,gloves. Golf cart just shows up and pizzas for everyone. They grabbed the fried chicken i took along like it was gold!
Spoke to a SS agent there for Bush and he said he has been to Afghanistan and Iraq and the destruction is different but worse than he has ever seen.
Looks like they will bulldoze about 98% of the town. This wil take years to recover from if ever. Everyone is upbeat but worn out(it rained very heavy for two days after the tornado). Communications are still down. With the govt telling everyone to stay away the only help they have are relatives and locals. This is hurting them badly!
My friend has a hanger at the airport and when they ran the bomb dogs the got real excited about the fertilzer that had been stored in the back of the hanger! Gave anyone that was there a much needed laugh!
Anyone that goes there must campout or drive the 70 plus miles to Whichita to get a room. A stark contrast to the spring green of Kansas vs the destruction.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:59 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,976,638 times
First I must commend you on your willingness to help, thats awesome. Secondly I must say that my heart goes out to all in that town, I cannot imagine what that must be like. Absolutely horrible stuff. :-(

Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,448,081 times
To Greensburg and its surrounding areas, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:08 AM

30 posts, read 217,012 times
I grew up in Greensburg, and was back there a week ago with my sister to help our father clean up some. My mother worked for the Shanks untill her passing in January, and they are ok, in fact Shank Chevrolet it open at the airport. I spoke with Kathy Shaw a few days ago, and her mom Anne (Kelly now I believe) is ok also. Most of the others I remember, but don't know how/where they are now. None of them were among the unfortunates who lost their lives though. I lived in Greensburg from 1970 untill 1988 when I joined the Air Force, and lived there shortly from 1992 to 1995 again before moving to Arkansas. I'm in Wichita now, and had made frequent visits, but last weekend when I was there, I couldn't recognize ANYTHING. Everything from Spruce to Sycamore was simply erased. There are plenty of photos avail that show the damage from the air, but at ground level it's simply surreal. My sister drove by the trailer court I grew up in, across from the Best Western and next to Burke Town, and I didn't even realize it untill she turned down Spruce to where our fathers house had been before it's destruction.

The main key to Greensburgs' survival is Dillons decision on rebuilding the store. If they don't, it will make the recovery a lot harder. Without a grocery store in the county, many residents may not return.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,911,248 times
Your mothers name was Ella Mae and i talked to her many times while calling Duane. I am sorry to hear of her passing She was always so friendly and helpfull to me. I didn't know she had passed until i went to Grensburg. I hope the Guard is getting everyone helped out.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:06 PM

30 posts, read 217,012 times
This past year has been very rough for my father. With their house burning down right at a year ago, then mom passing in January, and now the second house lost in the tornado, dad is having a very rough time. Luckily he found his dog alive and mostly unhurt in the shelter on the East end of town.

I am so thankful to all the people helping the residents of Greensburg, I live in Wichita now, and haven't had the money to go out very often since the tornado to help myself.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 21,705 times
Does anyone know if the people at the Best Western Greensburg survived the tornado? We stayed there the night before the tornado hit and left that morning. Our heart is so sad for the people of Greensburg.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:09 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,347,639 times
Was the Best Western on the east edge of town? I know the hotel on the east side is OK, lost the resturant, but the rest of the building didn't look like it had any significant damage.
I went through there on my way to Pratt and back last night. I am a volunteer EMT/firefighter so I was there the night it happened, through the next day, and several days that first week. The pictures just don't show the real scene like seeing it for yourself does. I was shocked at how much there still is to do and it's been a month now. I know numerous people that live there or had family there, most of them say they will rebuild. They re-opened the highway through there today.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 21,705 times
Hi: Thank you for responding. The Best Western was right on Hwy 54 it seems like in the middle of town. It was next to a John Deere Implement dealership. It did not have a resturant so my son ate at the Pizza Hut on the 3rd of May. I just loved how that town felt. So friendly and kind and the motel was located next to a park. We stayed there because they allowed pets and my son had his lab with us. The Best Western staff were most kind and it seemed like a mom and pop motel. I just worried about how they made it through the storm and I pray they are all ok. You are to be greatly respected for the time and work you have given of yourself to help these people. May God Bless you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas