U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,914,155 times

Advertisements

I saw the John Deere Dealership but i did not see anything resembling a motel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 PM

6 posts, read 23,998 times
Default what was the mode of deaths?

How did the people die? It would seem if you were in the basement or sheltered in the bathroom you would not be that vunerable. Were they outside?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:27 PM

6 posts, read 21,709 times
The Best Western motel did not have a basement that I know of and the motel was a one story with a L shape outline and one other separate building to the west. We were in the last two rooms on the L shape near the park. The bathrooms all had windows in them so I would not think people would want to be in their for safety reasons. However it sounds like the motel is completely gone so I just pray that the people that were staying there the night the tornado hit had some place to go prior to the storm hitting. I heard they had like a 20 minute warning before the tornado hit. I just question if you were traveling through town like we were the night before and staying at the motel where would you go?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:55 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,914,155 times
I read that many people went in the gas station cooler. The cooler was moved outside the building and then the walls on it fell outward. Some were minorly injured.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:01 PM

31 posts, read 191,406 times
It would have been a great time to throw your belongings in your car and go west. If you watched that developing on radar, it was obvious that Kiowa County was not going to be the place to be. They were forecasting major storms for that immediate area the day before the tornado hit. Glen

Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM

Hi Glen: We were just one of the lucky ones to have planned our stay the night before. We had not been following the weather forecast since we were just traveling through heading back to Tucson from Illinois. We mapped out our route for each day and had a pet so we had to find a motel that would accept pets. Pratt was full so Greensburg was the next location on our route. Little did we know about checking the forecast since our concern was distance for each day of travel, but it certainly stands as a good lesson when traveling to check all aspects. Kansas of course being tornado alley. Thanks for your comments I can appreciate what you are saying. Cholly

Old 06-08-2007, 07:51 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,348,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cholly View Post
Hi: Thank you for responding. The Best Western was right on Hwy 54 it seems like in the middle of town. It was next to a John Deere Implement dealership. It did not have a resturant so my son ate at the Pizza Hut on the 3rd of May. I just loved how that town felt. So friendly and kind and the motel was located next to a park. We stayed there because they allowed pets and my son had his lab with us. The Best Western staff were most kind and it seemed like a mom and pop motel. I just worried about how they made it through the storm and I pray they are all ok. You are to be greatly respected for the time and work you have given of yourself to help these people. May God Bless you!
Thank you for your kind words! If it was next to the GTI it was destroyed. There was a hotel catty-cornered from GTI (the John Deere dealer) that had a mini-van standing on it's nose in the L - or was that the Best Western? Across the street from GTI?

Old 06-08-2007, 07:54 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,348,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W350 View Post
It would have been a great time to throw your belongings in your car and go west. If you watched that developing on radar, it was obvious that Kiowa County was not going to be the place to be. They were forecasting major storms for that immediate area the day before the tornado hit. Glen
It actually started down in my county (Clark). We were out storm spotting, but it was getting dark and hard to see. In a flash of lightening I saw it, didn't even really think it was a tornado at first! Dang thing was huge. It had touched down on my BIL's ranch, took out a stand of trees and then proceeded northeast.

The real hero in this story is the guy that gave Greensburg so much notice!

Old 06-09-2007, 01:17 PM

Hi Chele123: That was the Best Western. I imagine the mini van was one of their overnight guests. Yikes. My son commented about the John Deere dealership because we lived just miles away in Illinois from their Moline, Illinois plant where the John Deere Company is located. I just hope that the town of Greensburg is seeing progress in their recovery and won't loose faith that their little town can come back. Take care, Cholly

Old 06-11-2007, 09:24 PM

3 posts, read 12,425 times
Default Fairview cemetery in Greensburg damaged?

My great grandparents (George Washington Garrison & Nancy) came from Illinois in a covered wagon in the mid 1880's and raised their family in Greensburg, Ks. My grandfather Charles Edgar Garrison and his brothers and sister were married there. They worked on the Big Well there. They are buried in the Fairview cemetery in Greensburg and I am wondering if the cemetery was damaged? We are coming through there around the 4th of July and want to go to the cemetery and vist the town. Does anyone know the directions to the cemetery?
I am so sad about what has happened to Greensburg as I feel a connection to it. I pray for the people.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas