U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2007, 06:18 PM

30 posts, read 217,103 times

Advertisements

The cemetary was undamaged by the tornado. I stopped by my mothers grave 2 weeks after the disaster and saw now damage except a couple of small tree limbs down.

It is very easy to get to the cemetary. You need to go North on Olive street, past the swimming pool park, over the train tracks, and it's just a couple of blocks further North on the left side. The entrance is on the South side, but I don't remember the street name at the moment (maybe Pensylvannia).
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 PM

6 posts, read 21,712 times
How is the recovering coming along and has anyone heard from the employees of the Best Western to know if they made it out ok since the motel is totally gone?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,917,647 times
A Time Capsule has been discovered in a cornerstone at the high school. No decision has yet been made as to when to open it. No one even knew it was there!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 PM

277 posts, read 1,174,115 times
omg that's amazing. I'd vote to open it. I mean c'mon, it got unearthed by the tornado, it's a sign it wants to be opened ;-) Plus, it's an auspicious occasion. The town is gone, time to reminisce and recall things long forgotten.

Let us know what happens Versatile. I'm very curious.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 12,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Bettes View Post
The cemetary was undamaged by the tornado. I stopped by my mothers grave 2 weeks after the disaster and saw now damage except a couple of small tree limbs down.

It is very easy to get to the cemetary. You need to go North on Olive street, past the swimming pool park, over the train tracks, and it's just a couple of blocks further North on the left side. The entrance is on the South side, but I don't remember the street name at the moment (maybe Pensylvannia).
Paul, thank you for the information and the directions to the cemetery. I am looking forward to going through Fairview cemetery to search for my great grandmother's grave. Nancy J. Garrison, 11-25-1848 - 8 21,1916. I have a picture of the cemetery with great grandfathers head stone 4-26-1844-11-13-1912( George Washington Garrison) but not his wife Nancy.
Would you by any chance know the caretaker of the cemetery? Or anyone that might have the names of the people buried there? That would sure help me in my search. I would like to find out how large the cemetery is and locate where the graves of the Garrison's are as I won't have a lot of time to go through it.
Again, thanks for taking the time to help me.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:45 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,917,647 times
Google for Kiowa county Ks cemeteries.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 AM

18 posts, read 83,897 times
Thanks for sharing the newspaper link to photos of Greensburg. Touching to see the high school graduation photos. My old family doctor's wife grew up there and is saddened to know what has happened to her hometown. In time what will come will hopefully be a stronger better Greensburg filled with new homes and businesses.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:08 AM

1,238 posts, read 3,968,813 times
I am afraid that many people, like my aunt and uncle, will not return. Families with school-age children need to get established somewhere before the school year begins, and since there are few jobs there now, those who have to work will go elsewhere. The only ones I see returning are the retired folks. My aunt and uncle have bought a house in Hutchinson, which is where their son and grandkids live. I know they are wondering if they will like it there, but they need to get settled in somewhere.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,952 times
The tornado really wiped out the town. My wife was from Greensburg. Went to the house her grandmother used to live in and it was totally gone, I mean totally. After the tornado had hit I got on the satellite and all I saw was a empty lot. No rubble. No splinters. No nails. Nothing.

As we were looking at the hole in the ground we saw a ramp going down into where the basement was and thought it had been cleaned out until I looked across the street at another basement with a wider ramp. Saw ruts, and tooth marks from a backhole, but not on ours. As we were talking about where the different parts of the house had been we figured out the ramp was where the outside entrance had been. Stairway was gone.

The tornado had sucked the basement out of the ground. Finally we
I saw the foundations of her grandmothers duplex on the next lot and went to look at it. It was not a foundation, but another basement. The neighbors on the other side of the duplex. No evidence their was ever a duplex there. Foundation gone.

Looked where the barn sat. Again no foundation. Yet there were the concrete driveway and some of the sidewalks remaining, untouched. I was amazed at the awesome power of this monster.

I don't know what happened to the people that lived in the house and duplex. Really, we're scared to asked.

The only thing remaining of my wifes grandmother's house is a painting in her office. That's it.

These people need our help and will need it for a long time.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:13 AM

31 posts, read 191,441 times
I guess I am a little more tuned into the weather than most, even while traveling. I got caught in a monster of a storm in Colorado Springs in the mid 70's. I thought my little Nova was going to be washed back to Kansas. Since then, I keep a pretty close ear to the radio.

The night of this storm I was working and listened to the storm tracking on the Hutchinson radio station. It was moving north on radar when I left to go to work. That radar image was just crazy to watch grow. The television was already calling it a significant tornado event. Not just a tornado warning, they were going out of their way to describe the size and power. That guy from Hutchinson just kept repeating over and over that he would like to see the storm in the day time and it was a freak in size.

It would be a couple of hours before we heard about the tragedy in Greensburg. Thankfully, Kansas has not been hit by one of those since 1955 when Udall was likewise devastated. Greensburg is the county seat and will survive, but it will take years to recover and may never get back to what it once was. I hope one day it does.

I know if I was struggling to make ends meet in a remote location like that with little potential for growth and had the insurance checks in hand, it would be a tough decision to make. Starting your business over if you were close to retirement or having a rough time anyway would be hard. It would be tougher now. There should be a lot of construction jobs for a while, but then what? It is a tough and sad deal. Glen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas