Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 07:53 PM

57 posts, read 143,887 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving somewhere out of state when I graduate high school in May. I am originally from Louisiana. I have also made a list of my likes. I will be 18, so if you have any suggestions about what city(ies) I should consider moving to, those will be highly apprieciated.

-I like cities to have friendly people and a low-ish crime rate, well at least a low murder rate, I am a safety freak.

-I hope to bring some of my friends/family members with me, so I would like some affordable apartments/homes, and a very fun nightlife.

-I like rivers and lakes, I learned I like to hang around them because it seems so peaceful.

-I want the city to have a population of over 35,000, it can be lower as long as it is in a metro area, remember I'm young, so a small country town will not do for me.

-The unemployment rate must be under at least 9%. I will bring money with me when I move, but it won't last long. Trust me. I'm young.

-And I don't know how important this will be, but I am black, and I like cities that are ethnically diverse, but I'll settle for any city, irregardless of it's demographics. Also because I have a few family members who might *judge* me on the city I choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:50 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpurpleblack View Post
-And I don't know how important this will be, but I am black, and I like cities that are ethnically diverse, but I'll settle for any city, irregardless of it's demographics. Also because I have a few family members who might *judge* me on the city I choose.
Lawrence, though you'd want to check the unemployment rate. I'd vote against Topeka. Remember Brown v. Board of Education? Everyone likes to leave out a key word in that case. It should be Brown vs. Topeka Board of Education.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:59 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I would suggest the KC metro, or one of the college towns.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:56 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would suggest the KC metro, or one of the college towns.
And I would suggest Wichita...

Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
And I would suggest Wichita...
The OP was asking for possible cities in KS. If a solid economy is more important, the Upper Midwest cities fare far better overall.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 AM

71 posts, read 242,309 times
Definitely take a look at Manhattan, we have 51,000 people and enjoy a fair amount of diversity due to having K-State and Fort Riley here. The unemployment rate is at 3%. www.manhattan.org. We have a pretty active night life with Aggieville.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Why Kansas? its certainly somewhere, but given the choice of the entire United states or perhaps the whole world..... why Kansas?

Old 12-01-2009, 12:01 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
I don't know if you are aware or not but on the main page of this website if you go to the bottom you can click on KS and it will bring up a list of many of the cities, the population and if you click on that, you will get the stats on the city. We have lived in several areas in KS and my husband is from the Junction City/Ft. Riley area of which Manhattan is more or less a part of - this would in my opinion be your best bet since the Army installation and the college in Manhattan bring in the diversity that I think you are probably looking for. I am originally from Michigan and found racial attitudes in the outback here, interesting to say the least but around the military installation - not a problem. I have also lived in the south - MS, AL and NC - attitudes vary. Crime and drugs especially are everywhere and Kansas is not immune from that. In the bigger cities watch out for the cheaper living quarters as they usually signal an area that you wouldn't want to live in - best bet is median priced. Manhattan is also not so far from Topeka and close enough to the highway to make commuting elsewhere a breeze.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM

57 posts, read 143,887 times
The reason I chose Kansas because I want to be far away from any ocean, less likely to be affected by hurricanes, plus, I like the scenery of Kansas.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:19 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpurpleblack View Post
The reason I chose Kansas because I want to be far away from any ocean, less likely to be affected by hurricanes, plus, I like the scenery of Kansas.
ever hear a bout Tornadoes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas