U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,942 times

Advertisements

My family and I are on orders to Ft Riley this summer and I was wondering if someone could tell me about the on-post housing. Is it single family housing and is it new or old and not so nice. Is it better to consider going off post? Senior enlisted housing is the catagory.

We are also looking for as much information as possible on the area, I am from Missouri so its the local area we are trying to get information on. We have a daughter that will be in 8th grade.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 02:35 PM

44 posts, read 150,268 times
I would be Surprised if on-post living ISN'T better then any where you have a choice of living around the base. You really don't want your daughter going to Junk-city (Junction City) schools or living there. That Town is ****ing nasty. I know there is a little town right by the base called Ogdan. I really don't know much about it but I've heard most of the people that do live off base live there.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:46 PM

48 posts, read 286,972 times
I currently live on Fort Riley and the house's on post vary from being nice to bad. My husband is a e6 in the Army and we live in old housing which was built in the 1950s. Its a split level 3 bedroom house, its okay. If your husband is a e7 or higher the housing is a little nicer but I think those houses were built around the 1970s but they have been updated and look really nice on the inside. Since you only have 1 child you will more then likely get a 3 bedroom house. I forgot the name of the neighborhoods but the housing is really nice. They are town houses but they have been updated with carpet in every room, and a updated kitchen. We do have a middle school on our Army base but we don't have a high school. There is a bus that comes from Junction City which is the neighboring town and they bus the high school kids from Fort Riley to Junction City HS (high school). You can also choose to drive your child to Manhattan HS or anyother HS you choose.

Also there is new housing across from the commisary and they have senior NCOs as well as other ranks. Those houses are really nice. The chances of you getting a single family home is unlikely, since I would say 95% of the housing on Fort Riley is townhouses. Also when you get offered housing you can try to request a certain neighborhood, this works for some but for others they don't get to choose but it doesnt hurt to try. You can also ask to see the house that they have given you on post and you can turn it down if you want. But if you do choose to turn the house down that they offer you it will bump you to the bottom of the list and you will have to wait a while before they offer you housing again.

the housing off post is nice in certain areas but I think the BAH they offer does not cover enough of the housing expense. I think its a better deal to live on post. Also some military families choose to live in Manhattan which has a lot more things to do I think its about a 5-20 mins drive depending on where you live in Manhattan. Kansas gets some getting used to but weve been her 5 years and have grown to like it but were so ready to get stationed somewhere else

Old 01-04-2010, 02:43 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
You could consider the Christian schools as that might be a worthwhile option to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas