Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM

114 posts, read 133,992 times

Advertisements

Tornadoes are so small, it's highly unlikely that you will ever be directly affected by one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 01:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,999 times
I used to fear them when I was young, growing up in Kansas. It helped me to just get a better understanding of them. Even in "Tornado Alley" only a few storms ever get strong enough to produce tornadoes, and only a few tornadoes are strong enough to cause massive damage and deaths. So a realization that the impending thunderstorm will in all likelihood NOT produce a tornado, and even in the small chance that it did, the chance that it would strike where I was even smaller. By far the great majority of tornadoes are relatively weak and short-lived (on the order of 10 minutes). It is hard to get over the fear when the news essentially saturates you with the horrible results of those few strong tornadoes that did hit a town. Just keep aware of conditions and know in advance what you would do for safety in the extremely unlikely event a tornado would strike.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 993 times
I'm terrified. I just moved to topeka from San Diego. Nothing scares me, not earthquakes,thunder, lightning. I have even had tornado watches in San Diego and blew it off. Here I obssess over it. Every time I hear thunder I go into an anxiety attack. Even worse we have no basement or shelter and our house is small. I have two kids and just wish I was back in SD where I was safe. It makes me hate it here. And thinking about a tornado makes me feel sick and want to cry. I have only been here a couple weeks but it's been storm after storm. I'm so scared a tornado will end up in our neighborhood and I don't have a good place to go and protect my babies. I dont know anyone here and theres no public storm shelter plus who knows if i will even have time. I try to not over think it but nothing is working and it's getting worse. I spend all day looking them up. The funny thing is as a child i have always been terrified of them even though I have lived in San Diego my whole life. I studied them and became so intruiged by them. I would have nightmares of being in a tornado. This is like the worst thing I have ever done moving here

Old 06-30-2017, 02:28 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyndox View Post
I'm terrified. I just moved to topeka from San Diego.
Hi, OP! First of all, welcome to the Midwest. It is a little different from the coast, but you'll be OK.

You say there's no public shelter. I'll bet if you look a little harder, you'll find places you can go, like some stores have shelters for shoppers, plus what about places like the public library? Senior recreation center? Look for older, sturdy buildings with basements. Churches would be another example.

Chat with your neighbors. You say you don't know anyone, but this would be a good time to introduce yourself and ask them where they would go if there is a tornado. Some people go into their bathtubs and drag in mattresses over them, but I don't think that's the best idea, unless you're out of time. Other neighbors may have much better ideas. Some may even tell you that they've never had a tornado in your neighborhood.

Another thing you may want to do if you have a smartphone is get the weather ap for it. NOAA will let you know there is a tornado warning. A lot of the time, it won't be for your neighborhood, and you'll be fine.

If you don't have a smartphone, you can get a weather radio fairly cheaply at Walmart, Target, (and so on). There are some kinds from one that fits in a pocket to one that sits on a desk and sounds an alarm that can wake you up at night if there is a tornado warning.

Once you know where to go and have something to warn you, try to relax. There are people who live in the Midwest all of their lives and never see a real tornado, just photos on the internet and TV.

When I was a little girl I used to be scared to death of tornadoes. Then I got older and studied them in science class. I now understand a lot more about them, and I don't worry nearly as much.

Longer term, OP, you might want to move to a house with a basement or put a tornado shelter in the garage if your housing code allows for one.

But don't allow your fear of tornadoes to cause you to hate Kansas. It's a really cool state!

Old 07-03-2017, 09:16 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
I think after you've lived here a few years and learn the real risks (not really that high) you'll learn to chill out about it.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:15 PM

473 posts, read 502,346 times
Tornadoes usually move from SW to NE. If you live in city, look for Northern end of town. The storm will blow itself out over town as cities have higher temperature over so much pavement so storm weakens to just rain/little hail...In 43 years of living in Kansas on NorthEastern side of town, I've NEVER seen a tornado.

Renters insurance is HIGHLY recommended as if you ever have to replace EVERYTHING at once at regular prices, you will understand how much stuff you actually own. Take video of everything in your place and upload to somewhere on internet with settings to private...Doesn't hurt to keep record of all the serial #s for expensive stuff you own too...ALWAYS get 'replacement coverage' on insurances.

Homeowners insurance is INSANELY expensive for country properties except for the most expensive NEW homes, so most do not carry any insurance and these are the areas that get hit and DESTROYED. Absurd is asking someone with a home value of $20k (nearby properties for sale for $20-25k is common) to pay for $124k of 'replacement' value to rebuild the house so like $125 month to insure a basic small town home worth $20k (usually really nice & comfortable properties for this low cost too)...Absurd to charge $125/month homeowners insurance for $20k house value and impossible for most of these to afford too on small town wages! Can get a 'limited payout' policy from Shelter Insurance of like $35-70k which is about what a country house will cost to pay off existing house mortgage and buy similar property nearby, replace belongings plus some money to pay for living expenses in another spot while you are home shopping. Some just move a mobile home onto old spot or do a 'little house' if alone or a couple. ADVANTAGE OF SMALL TOWNS: If you do not have a basement, the locals unlock churches or city hall with regularity if bad weather is coming.

Skip tornado prone spots, Oklahoma City's south side blows away every 3 years by Moore area with regularity...I mean HORRIBLY bad tornadoes that impale people whose only cover was the bathtub...These had boards stuck through their bodies....People still rebuild there...Many do put in a safe spot in new house...But if you find an area has REGULAR and significant tornado damage, I don't care how cheap housing costs...

Pick apartments carefully...A 'garden level' apartment in 1/2 level basement/split levels isn't a bad idea if you can take cover there. Look to see if there is a basement laundry room, storage or the like is available...Bottom floor in bathtub or small closet can be only spot....

Most don't think about it but an 'emergency bag' is a necessity like old backpack. MUST have good shoes following a tornado as the debries are terrible to walk around through. Put in extra driver's license that is expired, insurance cards, some cash, a WHISTLE (so you don't get buried in debries), dog leashes, some extra medications if it's life/death, bottled water, jacket...Some protein bars/rations in Xmas tins are nice as the mice won't be able to nibble it.

Most do not know that stuff falls through floor into basements during tornadoes. This causes LOTS of amputations...So you need to scope out a 'tornado spot' before...It cannot be under fireplace, big appliances and better off in corner of basement under a table or something...DO THINK TWICE about some older houses with a 'hatch' to a cellar as so commonly, the heavy kitchen appliances and cabinets are above this cellar or over the stairs so can result in entrapment.

I REALLY recommend you try to afford some kind of insurance as some Red Cross offices are hiding some unokay scams and some are deprived of help when in worst of times....

If traveling, under the overpass is okay spot to get out of tornado or just lay down in a ditch...If you can stop in the nearest town if driving into bad weather, the walk-in cooler at gas station or grocery store almost never blows away in tornado.

Last edited by cattalk1; 07-04-2017 at 06:46 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 07:20 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
If traveling, under the overpass is okay spot to get out of tornado or just lay down in a ditch...If you can stop in the nearest town if driving into bad weather, the walk-in cooler at gas station or grocery store almost never blows away in tornado.

I'll keep this in mind.

Old 07-05-2017, 07:32 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

I'll keep this in mind.

"If you're in your car on the road when a tornado is approaching, hiding under an overpass is your safest bet."
MYTH

This is probably the worst tornado myth. Taking shelter under an overpass is one of the most dangerous things you can do when a tornado is approaching. The reason has to do with the way the tornado's winds could potentially interact with the bridge structure. At the very least, taking shelter under an overpass puts you at a higher elevation with no protection from debris and winds. The Norman, Oklahoma Weather Service office compiled a presentation on the topic after the May 3, 1999 tornado outbreak, which can be viewed here. More on tornado safety here.

https://www.wunderground.com/resourc...nado_myths.asp

Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I'll keep this in mind.

Funny, the above statement was made thick with sarcasm. My wife and I survived the Dodge City, KS, F5 tornado of May 25, 2016. Whoa. We lived in a rental house in south-central Dodge City. The tornado approached Dodge City from Minneola to the south, and, just before hitting Dodge City, veered west toward United Wireless Arena. Hit a friend's house just south of Highway 50 on the way to the stadium.

Some say it hit the stadium but I don't think it did. Tore up a couple's house in western Dodge City and sent them to Western Plains Medical Complex with minor injuries.

The winds and hail abated and it got real quiet around 6:30PM. I was never more scared from a weather disturbance than those 15 minutes starting around 6:25PM.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:14 AM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
As I consider Kansas as I potential place to live, I can't help but think about tornadoes. It's not that I have never lived in a place where they are possible, just never a place as prone as Kansas.

How can I overcome this fear? I am actually not as concerned about losing my life, as I am about losing everything I own and the place I live in. I don't even own that much, but the idea of starting over scares me. I keep playing out this scenario in my mind that this will eventually happen. I can't help but think that in Kansas, it is inevitable that every place will eventually get hit by a tornado.

I know the main advice everyone gives is "have a plan". I would be renting an apartment, so I have no control over how the building is built, and I won't be able to just run down to my basement during every potential warning. So what do people in this situation do?

Is there such thing as tornado insurance? If so, any idea how much it costs? Is this something I should get on top of normal renter's insurance?

I really like a lot of other things about Kansas. I just need to get over this fear!
You sound really high strung. Take a deep breath! :-) Your chances of perishing in a tornado are so low. You have a better chance of winning a lottery or having a piano fall on your head. Enjoy Kansas!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas