U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 01:15 PM

11 posts, read 39,694 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just got a job offer in Liberal, KS and was wondering the best place to live. We are a young family and love outdoor stuff. We attend church regularly and are actively involved in community events. We don't mind commuting if we can find a nice safe town close to Liberal. Good schools (public or private) is very important to us. Our son loves youth sports, YMCA, church youth groups, VBS, fishing, etc. so I am really looking for a place that has a lot to offer families with young children. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM

210 posts, read 345,170 times
Liberal? I don't think there's anything out there BUT Liberal.

Never lived there. Got gas several times on my trips back and forth between Wichita and Phoenix (where I live now). It's pretty much the biggest thing along the 54 for about 3hrs in either direction.

Your commute should be a piece of cake, as I'm pretty sure you can cross the entire town in about 10 minutes; less if you don't get any red lights. I'd be surprised if there's more than one high school in the area. I think the population is something like 20,000.

I finished up high school about 5 hours to the northeast in Hutchinson, which had a population of around 60,000. The only thing we did on Friday and Saturday nights was cruise main or get drunk... and I went to the local Christian high school.

I hate it when people come in and bash on a community for whatever reason, but I also hate to see someone post a question and not get *any* replies. Like I said, I've never lived in Liberal, but I can tell you that it's about as close to the middle of nowhere as you can still get in this country. You would be well advised to consider a trip out to see the town before you accept that offer.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 PM

27 posts, read 98,975 times
Liberal's main industries are a meat packing plant, oil/natural gas, and farming/ranching. Towns with a focus on industries like that are more working class. It is probably close to 50% Hispanic if not more, not a bad thing but a dynamic that you may or may not be aware of.

Liberal is not a bad place to live. There are quite a few nice people and a solid small town vibe. Liberal High is traditionally a powerhouse football and track team. It always seemed to have some of the best athletes in the state.

Liberal is pretty isolated, the nearest city is Amarillo (about 160 miles) but to get to a big city its a pretty good distance. There are some really cool outdoor stuff to do within a days drive but not many within an hour or so Liberal itself.

I think the North/NW parts of town are the nicest but I haven't been there in a long time so a lot could have changed.

With any potential move, I highly recommend you take a visit first.

Where are you moving from?

Old 03-04-2010, 04:50 PM

11 posts, read 39,694 times
We are moving from south Florida, but previously lived in Minnesota. We love the midwest and are looking forward to a slower pace of life and wide open spaces. Florida is so crowded and overpriced that I am excited abouth the drastic change we are going to experience. Bocifus, you mentioned outdoor activities within a days drive of Liberal, KS; can you recommend anything specifically?

Thank you, bocifus and DR1665, for your replies. I know there is probably not a whole lot to say about this area and I appreciate the time and effort.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,144,184 times
Not much outdoor stuff around Liberal, just huge fields (to the North), semi-desert to the South . It feels quite claustrophobic with all those fences and shoulderless roads. In Europe (like Sweden & Germany) no private owner of 10000 acres of land can prohibit anyone to walk on his property if it doesn't cause damage to crops, etc., but it's America and you'll feel quite claustrophobic in the middle of open spaces (unless you'll buy your private chunk of land).

Old 03-05-2010, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,882 times
I grew up in Liberal and still work here. I now live in the Oklahoma Panhandle about 10 miles from there.

As far as outdoor activities, we have several smaller lakes within an hour or two from here, the sand dunes about 30 miles away in Beaver, Oklahoma, city parks with tennis courts, paved walking and bicycle trails, city league softball for adults and little league sports for the kids, and other things I'm sure I'm missing right off the top of my head. I can always find something to do outside right in my own yard, personally.

It's not beautiful here by many peoples standards since it is dry and not lots of population, but it's home to me. We wide open skies and some of the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises a person could ask for. I'm not going to lie and say it's perfect, because its got its fair share of problems, but I will take it over a big city any day.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:13 PM

113 posts, read 232,537 times
Well I would recommend living In Liberal, but if you really want to live else where Plains and Mead are not that far away and Plain has a really nice high school by the name of Southwestern Heights. The problem would be you would still end up going to Liberal for most of your shopping needs.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,708 times
Jobs are always good to have, but Liberal has probly the biggest problem with drugs in the state, and gangs come with it. But that being said, there is good in Liberal, and good people. But yes ,like everywere, its good to see if you will life it first.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,767 times
I too am looking at a move to Liberal, First Baptist, has a good youth program and VBS. Possibly moving there in June.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 AM

15,394 posts, read 21,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrob914 View Post
I too am looking at a move to Liberal, First Baptist, has a good youth program and VBS. Possibly moving there in June.
Ya, I would make a trip to see the town first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas